Author Topic: Found a Noct...  (Read 33175 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Found a Noct...
« Reply #150 on: August 30, 2016, 23:08:16 »
To further make things difficult, viewfinder magnification is lower on modern DSLRs than it was on old film SLRs. My Sony's offer 10x viewfinder magnifier so precise MF is always at hand.

... if there is sufficient available light otherwise the EVF makes just a lot of noise at high magnification. I gave up the Sony system because of this.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #151 on: August 30, 2016, 23:09:11 »
That's also the reason.  I don't know the viewfinder magnification of F2, but those of FM2, F3 and F3HP was 0.86x, 0.8x and 0.74x respectively.  I found the difference between 0.74x and 0.8x was very noticeabe, which was the reason for me preferring F3 over F3HP, even though I wear glasses.

Personally I will refrain from getting into OVF vs EVF comparison.  ;)  :D
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #152 on: August 30, 2016, 23:20:59 »
For me the F4 was the best MF body in my experience (but memories can be tainted, the new FM-2 did sure not deliver), now I hear, Akira, that the screen of the F2 is even better than the F4s....
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

bjornthun

« Reply #153 on: August 30, 2016, 23:55:15 »
... if there is sufficient available light otherwise the EVF makes just a lot of noise at high magnification. I gave up the Sony system because of this.
The noise is much less of an issue than modern OVFs are, for me. I made a comparison before selling my DSLRs, and sold my DSLRs two years ago, and I'm not looking back.

Lenses (MF) are what makes Nikongear intersting now, and nostalgia for film cameras, that had real usable OVFs.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #154 on: August 30, 2016, 23:57:44 »
We unite in the desire for good finders of whatever principle. One needs them in order to unleash the optical potential of the better lenses.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #155 on: August 31, 2016, 01:05:40 »
There is always hope that Nikon might deign to create a versatile finder with a choice of two image sizes or some such.
I'd certainly suggest it if I was asked.  I don't expect to be asked.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

bjornthun

« Reply #156 on: August 31, 2016, 01:27:25 »
There is always hope that Nikon might deign to create a versatile finder with a choice of two image sizes or some such.
I'd certainly suggest it if I was asked.  I don't expect to be asked.
Sounds like a camera with interchangeable viewfinders, like the Nikon F, F2, F3 series. Should be doable and be an easy way of offering both OVF and EVF finders, but I don't expect to be asked either. :(

bjornthun

« Reply #157 on: August 31, 2016, 01:41:16 »
To get back to the Noct-Nikkor, I find the rendering to be very pleasing, many nice images in this thread. The only downside to this lens seems to be the price. It certainly does more than low light well.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #158 on: August 31, 2016, 02:08:44 »
For me the F4 was the best MF body in my experience (but memories can be tainted, the new FM-2 did sure not deliver), now I hear, Akira, that the screen of the F2 is even better than the F4s....

Frank, I found the focusing easier on FM2 than on F3, and F4 would have behaved similarly to F3.  However, the finder image on FM2 in the peripheral area was noticeably smeared contrary to any of the flagship models.  The flagships always have the best viewfinder optics.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #159 on: August 31, 2016, 02:38:13 »
i have pretty bad eyesight but i don't have any problems manual focusing in any of the manual Nikons :o :o :o

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #160 on: August 31, 2016, 02:44:39 »
I have been wearing near-sighted glasses since I was ten or so, and my diopter is quite strong.  The eyesight is deteriorated in different ways over the years.   :'( :'( :'(

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #161 on: August 31, 2016, 02:53:07 »
I have been wearing near-sighted glasses since I was ten or so, and my diopter is quite strong.  The eyesight is deteriorated in different ways over the years.   :'( :'( :'(
.        Thank you so, so much for your beautiful and entirely true translation of Nikon F history! I know how much difficult to deliver exact sense and body of the any technical topic, so, your job is well above my imagination! Thanks, Mr. Akira!   LZ

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #162 on: August 31, 2016, 03:16:50 »
.        Thank you so, so much for your beautiful and entirely true translation of Nikon F history! I know how much difficult to deliver exact sense and body of the any technical topic, so, your job is well above my imagination! Thanks, Mr. Akira!   LZ

Hi, LZ, thank you for such a kind words.  The translation was a very good training for me, and to be able to serve for this wonderful community is a pure blessing.

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #163 on: August 31, 2016, 03:44:38 »
Hi, LZ, thank you for such a kind words.  The translation was a very good training for me, and to be able to serve for this wonderful community is a pure blessing.

http://nikonrumors.com/2016/08/30/two-old-nikon-documentaries.aspx/

i had them publish it in nikon rumors :o :o :o

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #164 on: August 31, 2016, 03:45:58 »
wait, this is the NOCT thread :o :o :o i got confused!