Author Topic: 105 1.4 random test shots  (Read 2021 times)

Jacques

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
105 1.4 random test shots
« on: September 03, 2016, 20:49:24 »
A few test shots from the first two days of ownership, as can be seen I have experienced a typical UK autumn day ! These are not intended as ' works of art ' but just an equipment and photographer test !

A.Jacks

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
Re: 105 1.4 random test shots
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 20:52:52 »
What are your impressions Jacques?
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 23:00:02 »
the test images look sharp, contrasty, seem to have good colour and have the predicted shallow DOF when you want it. However, Mongo is not sure that these things cannot be had using other already existing lenses. It would be interesting to read Jacques' further impressions of it and in any event, congrats Jacques on your new acquisition.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 03:33:51 »
To me, the absence of LoCA would be more impressive than the sharpness or the shallow DOF.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 15:03:55 »
Compared to 85/1,4 AF-S, the new lens seems to give a bit higher technical image quality but I don't really consider the difference huge; both lenses are excellent. What the 105 offers for me is alternative spacing: for example I use the 24-70 a lot, and if I need a lens for head and shoulders, the 85 fits the bill but is close to the 70mm end of the 24-70 so it may or may not be worth carrying a separate lens. The 24-70+105 combination offers a greater distinction between the two, and thus I would more likely pair these two. Then the jump to 200mm is also smaller and there is less of a gap. I expect to be using 24-70+105+200 a lot. Compared to the previous 105's from Nikon, the 105/1.4 offers a larger aperture and better autofocus. A disadvantage is the rather large size of it, but that was expected. It balances well with the D5.

Jacques

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 23:55:27 »
Jakov, a few more random test shots from around my town. I have found that I need to take extra care selecting shutter speed and aperture when using this lens, not a lens problem but issues with the photographer not using ( even short ) telephoto lens for a good number of years ! I have been using my 58 1.4 exclusively for the last 2.5 years so I have become used to judging where to stand  to frame the shot with the minimum amount of feet shuffling, I am needing to make a mental adjustment for the longer focal length. f1.4 seems usable as long as I am fairly straight on to the subject but something like f5.6 is necessary if the subject is at an angle and I want it all sharp. The lens is both heavy and imposing in size particularly with the lens hood fitted,I am posting a selection of images and will add the aperture used for each. Hopefully I can get out into the countryside in the next couple of days and will take my tripod with me to eliminate old person camera shake and perform some more consistent testing.
f2.5

f5.6

f1.4

f5.6

f1.4

f3.2
A.Jacks