Author Topic: Found a Noct...  (Read 33174 times)

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Found a Noct...
« on: August 16, 2016, 18:34:59 »
... AIS, 9-bladed, ser no 190xxx, very good condition, functioning and performance seem ok.
Price tag 3950, talked down to 3000€ (I know the boutique to try and sell at high prices, so I did not hesitate).

Hmmm... still hesitating...

Recent bargains, anyone (apart from the Fierce Bear of the North, who seems to be lucky) ?
Airy Magnien

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Found a Noct...
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 20:15:27 »
I have 2 of them.  The first one is 7-bladed version, beaten almost to death. I used to fix it myself - loose helicoid, oiled blades, so on...  The second one is brand new 9-bladed last version, never used. Couple years ago have tried them on D800. Put them back, on good dry shelf... Will keep them forever, for nostalgic reason of stone age film era  they were created for... In my private experience, my third-party 50mm 1.4 AF lens is universe ahead, in every measurable department one can imagine. 4x times  cheaper, 2x times bigger and heavier... It is clearly understandable, your way will vary, as well as your experience and look on such things... LZ   

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 20:34:30 »
As a recognized connoisseur of the normal lens focal lengths, you should have one.  As long as you can sell it for approximately what you paid for it, you are safe.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 20:39:45 »
If it is in excellent condition, the price is typical.  I am certain you are well aware of the Noct and do not need anyone to sell you on it.  I can't blame you for hesitating on the price.  Worst case scenario if you purchase it; you find it not worth the money and re-sell it for negligible, if any, loss.  Let us know how it all pns out. :-)
-Tristin

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 20:46:02 »
Price of the Noct knows a downward trend.  Three Ais versions were sold in July on ebay around 2.400 euro. 

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 20:54:11 »
Price is staying unmovable till new version coming. It may happen at any time, as it is with new 105. Nobody predicted such innovation, so old 105/2 is losing 30% immediately, and dropping is not final. LZ

Danulon

• NG Supporter
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 21:03:00 »
And what is the likelihood of another Noct 1.2?

Afaik the 58 1.4 AF-S already was supposed to be its replacement.
Guenther Something

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 21:14:22 »
The current price in Holland is around €2500, some 5 years it was below 2k, for me that is way too expensive, even for a voigtlander 125, which is much dearer to me.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 21:53:15 »
I have been thinking about the topic for a while: I will wait until I find a Neo-Noct for unter 900€, then get one.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 21:59:03 »
Thanks all for feedback. Indeed, since I am fond of standard lenses, I am very tempted to add this very special one to the inventory (the last two additions were the 50/2 AI and the Zeiss Milvus 50/2, both second hand, yesss). Problem is, I am not even sure to use it more often, or with more satisfaction, than either of the two aforementioned lenses that only cost a fraction of the Noct. The 50/2 buy is all Fons' fault, by the way, and I do not regret it. The Noct is certainly overpriced, if only imaging qualities matter. We're paying for the legend.

Buying and reselling seems a safe option though, since the likelyhood of any similar MF lens to be produced is close to zero - Zeiss' closest matches have been released twice (Otus and Milvus versions), Samyang released a 50/1.4 that is not bad...

And concerning the MF standard lenses, I have yet to find a long nose 50/1.8 AIS.

I still have the Neo-noct as an option (a second hand one is still available, it seems...), but at 1100€.
Airy Magnien

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 22:03:26 »
Is acquiring a Noct the equivalent of achieving one's philosopher's stone?

Dave the Pauper

Perhaps if I can achieve my philosopher's stone I too could own a Noct...
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 22:35:07 »
ah ah not really

getting a 50/2 AI and enjoying it also works and costs less

In any case the aim is to achieve something with the lens that other lenses won't do. With the 50/2, the answer is simple, it has got a 6-blade diaphragm with all consequences. With the 50/1.4 SC you get that "toothpaste" bokeh on highlights, etc etc
Airy Magnien

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 00:07:52 »
And concerning the MF standard lenses, I have yet to find a long nose 50/1.8 AIS.

Next year, at the first Week End of June, try to get to Paris and to Bièvre's photo-fair (since you won't have the "braderie" this year), you'll find the "long nose" cheap (I got one there, with my 50/2 AI and some other lenses)... :-)
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 00:13:22 »
Great. By the way, how does it compare with the 50/2 ? (possibly in another thread)
Airy Magnien

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2016, 00:20:13 »
I can't really decide... :o I'll do some pictures and post in another thread at the end of the week... :P
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.