Author Topic: How do you post process IR images?  (Read 2628 times)

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
How do you post process IR images?
« on: August 12, 2016, 19:45:53 »
I have just started venturing into the world of IR photography and have read a bit about post processing on Life Pixel and I found https://photographylife.com/how-to-process-infrared-photographs which I have tried to sort of follow :)

However, a recent comment by Bjørn Rørslett about the channel-swapping approach made me curious. How do you PP your IR shots?

Of course, any other tips/links about shooting IR is much appreciated.
Jørgen Ramskov

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
Re: How do you post process IR images?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 20:45:53 »
The beauty of IR is that there are no rules. Whatever suits your eye works.  :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 21:56:32 »
Yes, I know that, but when the fierce bear of the north says there's a better way, I'm curious ;)
Jørgen Ramskov

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 21:59:14 »
It all depends on what filter I use. With the super color filter the sky turn out red and vegetation blue and I usually swap the red and blue channels. I mostly prefer BW ir, but as Jakov states, there are no rules. Its anarchy! :)

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 22:44:36 »
Here is an example. First one is close to what you get from a camera with the super color filter from lifepixel. The second, is with the red and blue channel swapped (use channel mixer. Red channel: Set red to 0, and blue to 100. Blue channel: Set blue to 0, and red to 100). The third file is processed to taste (bad taste?) in LAB mode. Curves and levels and then switched to RGB mode, cropped and exported as a JPEG. Quick edit to give you an example.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 00:31:39 »
Thanks for the explanation Børge, I´m also interested in IR post options.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 09:31:51 »
That is an impressive example. Cool options with IR as you show.

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 09:50:28 »
Thanks Børge, cool shot. You're using the channel swapping method too. From what I understood, Bjørn Rørslett uses a different method, that's what made me curious.
Jørgen Ramskov

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2016, 20:31:47 »
Many more photographers use IR these days than in the old age of film. Thus is is not surprising that the understanding of what constitutes IR and what particulars are manifested by this kind of photography is even weaker today. In order to make IR photography an efficient vehicle for our visual perceptions, we need to have an understanding of its particulars. IR is outside our realm of perception and often there are hidden surprises or treasures to be discovered therein.

There is no set "recipe" for IR photography. All colours arising from an IR scene are truly false, by definition.  There is no such thing as a "false colour scheme". Black skies and white foliage are not the essence of IR and in many scenes these do not even appear at all.  By using techniques such as "channel swapping", one is no closer to an understanding of IR as such. We, as photographers, do need these insights as IR itself cannot be perceived by our sensory circuits as it were.

To exacerbate matters further, the myths of IR are rooted in film and are the results of the nature of the two kinds of IR-sensitive material available to photographers back in the dark age of silver halide film. Kodak HIE instigated the myth of IR being high contrast with black sky and blocked shadows, set against hazy white foliage. This particular rendition is entirely the result of the properties of that film material, its inherent excessive contrast, its coarse grain, and lack of an anti-halation backing (probably left out in order not to fog the unexposed film through the opening slit of the canister). Kodak Infrared Ektachrome (IE) ushered in the concept of a special colour scheme for "false colours" by its colour dye coupling (red layer to IR, green layer to red, and blue to everything else). Without any filtration to block blue (or blue + yellow), you got basically a dirty colour mix of purple and cyan. If IR was blocked, you got mainly reds. If UV was let through and attempts made to keep everything else out, you got red or blue depending on what band(s) were eliminated. IE required special developers (E-4, AR-5) that most labs didn't offer, thus was developed in substandard chemistry further increasing the already excessive contrast and muddling up colours. Frankly, I found the last incarnation of IE downright garish in its colour rendition when run through E-6 chemistry.

A further point is that digital IR extends greatly the potential spectral range for near-IR work. Film hardly could reach 900 nm, whilst the digital sensor can do towards 1100 nm. Do note that lenses or sensors, or both, might attenuate IR response towards the longer end and this is in addition to the natural decline of intensity of longer-wave IR itself.

if one really insists, getting a close facsimile of what film delivered for IR is entirely possible in the digital domain. We are none the wiser as to what IR entails, though.

In fact, digital IR shows aspects of IR photography that film never could achieve. Sky is no longer jet black by default, it shows every trace of  water vapour or polluting particles. Thus in most urban areas IR sky verges towards light grey, not black. Shadows are open and richly detailed. Gone is the graininess imparted by HIE/IE (if you don't introduce it yourself in the processing work flow). The inherent contrast of digital IR is very low leading to flat and dull images unless you are aware of this fact and take counter measures, either to increase clarity and 'pop', or capitalising on the low contrast to make high- or low-key images later. The false colours can be produced at your own discretion without any one claiming they are 'wrong' (nor will they be 'correct'), it is entirely a matter of taste. If you prefer ice-blue foliage and tea-brown stained skies, feel free to forge ahead. Everyone is free in terms of colour choices which is a good thing and obviously also a ripe breeding ground for creating true kitsch. Don't bother, you have escaped the constraints and untold rules with which traditional photography is ensnared.

In the end, any successful IR image must be able to stand its own and create impact without the IR contribution. This aspect cannot be stressed enough.

Finally, to answer the question about processing technique: I try to previsualise and do as much of the required steps directly in the RAW conversion software. Some times even going to the step of using additional converter(s) and merge results later as programs might lack the feature you request for a particular image. I never apply the traditional 'channel swap' as I feel it makes you rely on a preset recipe instead of an understanding of what you want to happen to your image.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2016, 23:56:01 »
Thanks Bjørn

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 12:37:39 »
To drive home my points made earlier, here are images from a short series I did a few days ago when I found myself - literally - imprisoned in a coastal cottage without any possibility of going on the outside (the complex story underneath is irrelevant to this thread so won't be elaborated here, but my physical constraints were for real).

During a period of four days I only had a glimpse through the windows of the trees, mainly pines, surrounding the cottage. That had to be the subject and IR was the approach. Here are a few results, all except the first (D5300) taken with the modified Fuji S5Pro.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 14:09:47 »
Perhaps we should all be weather locked for a period of 4 days to see what we could deliver with an IR camera :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2016, 16:55:26 »
Perhaps we should all be weather locked for a period of 4 days to see what we could deliver with an IR camera :)
  ;D

Usually imprisonment is not nice, unless voluntarily but yours are as inspiring as the free roaming

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2016, 20:35:19 »
Thanks a lot for your long and detailed post Bjørn, much appreciated!
Jørgen Ramskov