Author Topic: A Quick Look at Ming Thein’s New Post-Processing Suite  (Read 36913 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
Re: A Quick Look at Ming Thein’s New Post-Processing Suite
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2017, 14:01:18 »
I think the style of Mings PP is excellent, are you saying that this tutorial will enable a person to produce pictures that have the look and shadow detail of Mings...........is it really that easy ? Does the package include LR presets. I cant seem to find a detailed account on the net from anyone who has purchased this tutorial ?

I'm the OP. Yes, the package has all kinds of carefully-made camera profiles for both LR and PS. I use this approach and find it immensely useful. Ming Thein shows you how he post-processes, step-by-step. Will you end up as good as he is. I doubt that any of us will, if only because we will end up as ourselves, not him.

The tutorials are many and long, so who is going to write that out... which would not be fair to Ming Thein at that.

It is the best full system I have found that actually has been useful for me.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

mimi6900

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2018, 13:30:06 »
I was wondering if you say that this A3 method works well with LR why are you switching to PS?

Roberto

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2018, 15:23:42 »
Thank you for sharing. I value Ming's page very highly. I do not photograph architecture or watches, but like his take on it. He has a very good eye. Neither do I buy everything latest and most expensive, although MF would be something nice to try… His reviews are different from many other bloggers, who only list features of a camera and say which ones are "good" and which ones are "bad" without proper reasoning. He is one of the guys who actually writes why something is good (or not so good) for his use and based on his own use of the camera. His answers even on trollish comments are always cultivated, polite and factual.  Disclosure: Once he helped me with a question (it was something
about diy with focusing screens), very quickly and without pay ;-)

Yesterday I bought his Workflow III and right now I am browsing through it all. Sounds interesting. (And yes, couple of years ago he brought me to Wacom) Again, thank you for sharing and your opinion, which is an opinion as it should be expressed to be heard and valid ;-)

zhujiao

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2020, 07:31:05 »
I used to have a pen and tablet but it was an economy 4x5" (10x12.7cm) and I found it nearly useless. I wonder if I could have afforded a lager drawing tablet that I might have found it useful.

If there is a way to try before you buy I recommend a large drawing tablet.

Dave
The major use of a graphics tablet for photography is to allow you finer control over small movements of the pen during retouching or making selections than you can get with a mouse. You only make long movements when going from one area to another, and even then those movements are usually smaller than an artists stroke with a pen.

I use an XP-Pen Deco mini7 drawing tablet. Definitely worth checking out their range - quality is great, and much cheaper than Wacom.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2020, 08:55:07 »
I learned Mng's III method. I use the graphic tablet, but mostly for dodging and burning.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com