Author Topic: Photoshop Nostalgia  (Read 2358 times)

Almass

Photoshop Nostalgia
« on: August 03, 2016, 13:27:22 »
When Photoshop was first made available on a CD.

I have somewhere the original Photoshop 1.07 and replaced by 2.0 available on 2 floppy disks running on a Mac II ci with a 50 meg hard drive and 4 meg memory.
I still have Photoshop running on a Mac II ci and a Mac Powebook and a Quadra 800....as well as on a Silicon Graphics souped up Indy running PS 3.0.

PS 2.0 introduced Masks
PS 3.0 introduced Layers
......and the rest is history

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
Re: Photoshop Nostalgia
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 18:06:50 »
WOW. Takes me back a while here.... I started on PS2. A pirate copy - which was replaced with a legal copy within 2 weeks as I liked it so much.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 07:56:00 »
A friend gave me a copy of Photoshop 2.5. I was already using a legitimate copy of Aldus Photostyler. Then Adobe was allowed to buy Aldus and I got an upgrade offer from Photostyler (RIP) to Photoshop 3.0. I do NOT like the lack of competition but that's life.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Almass

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 09:34:16 »
WOW. Takes me back a while here.... I started on PS2. A pirate copy - which was replaced with a legal copy within 2 weeks as I liked it so much.

All PS version were not copy protected until version 3 where you had to enter a key and version 4 where PS could verify if another copy was running on the local network. PS started verifying online if it was  a genuine registered copy around version 6 but my memory is a bit fuzzy.

Almass

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 10:25:49 »
A friend gave me a copy of Photoshop 2.5. I was already using a legitimate copy of Aldus Photostyler. Then Adobe was allowed to buy Aldus and I got an upgrade offer from Photostyler (RIP) to Photoshop 3.0. I do NOT like the lack of competition but that's life.

Dave

Aldus Freehand swallowed and morphed to Pagemaker by Adobe which resulted in killing Quark.

This was followed by swallowing Macromedia and establishing Photoshop - Illustrator and Pagemaker as the essential design tools.

Add to that, Adobe killed Monotype after they released the famous Adobe Library typeface CD.....which is lying in my storage somewhere with the Monotype CD and a full Freehand and Media Director Boxed versions.....and Illustrator......This is where we were cheesed off in installing an application with seven floppies. Thie 5.5 version is the last pure Mac version before the interface ported to Windows.

History or Nostalgia