Author Topic: Nikon Df non-AI stop-down metering  (Read 6086 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
Nikon Df non-AI stop-down metering
« on: August 02, 2016, 17:29:16 »
OK, i have done the ritual.

1: raise tab
2: set to non-AI in the menu
3: set to A
4: press the preview button

but this thing would not stop-down meter :o :o :o
my manual Nikons would give me a shutter speed reading ::)
am I doing something wrong?

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Nikon Df non-AI stop-down metering
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 17:46:19 »
It doesn't work that way. The procedure is convoluted and has to be done correctly.

First, flip up the aperture follower (remember to set it back later !!)

Make an entry for a non-CPU lens if not already done, and mark it as non-AI.

Now, use the front dial to set the aperture to a value, say f/5.6. Rotate the aperture ring on lens to the same setting.

Then, either shoot in A or M, for the latter mode, you match deviations from "0" as normal by changing exposure speed.

There is no "stop-down metering" at all using the non-AI lens in this manner. Nikon does not allow it for any lens operated either via CPU, aperture follower, or by the procedure just outlined above. In fact, using the preview button disconnects the meter.

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 23:58:59 »
It's much easier to use AI converted lenses ...

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 00:07:46 »
True. And putting a CPU in them makes their use even more easy.

My aim was to have all my Nikkors (100+)  CPU-modified and at present this goal has been achieved. Only kept two Nikkors in their non-AI condition for testing purposes (50/2 and 105/2.5).

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 01:21:29 »
i see. damn it,Df...
i had somebody forward this concern to the engineers at Nikon via facebook. hope it gets a FW update so we can use it like the F3 :o :o :o

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 01:32:30 »
No chance. Nikon has been adamant regarding stop-down metering for many years. They will not allow it unless the lens lacks any aperture linkage and has a preset or direct-set aperture. Period.

I have discussed the topic with Nikon reps several times to no avail.

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 02:50:19 »
this is for non-Ai lenses by the way :o :o :o

the person that I talked to (a bar buddy of prof Goto) said that they are aware of the complaint for some time now.
I do not exactly know what he means by that. it can be that they are aware and doing something or wanting to do something but they cant (because it's messed up). i am still hopeful. anyway, I am going to ask directly as to why they cant do it on the Df ::) im sure that im going to get alibis ::) i just want to see how far they will go and if they will tell the truth.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 10:08:35 »
The "problem" that won't go away, and the underlying reason for Nikon not allowing stop-down metering,  is the aperture linkage. AI vs non-AI is a minor consideration, that's all.

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 00:58:37 »
Stop down metering is possible with AI-compatible cameras if there is no aperture linkage to the lens. That's how the old Nikkor-T 10.5cm 1:4 works. For most other lenses however, you'd need to remove the aperture stop-down lever, which rather restricts their use.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 01:38:17 »
My point, exactly. There is an inherent conflict between stop-down metering and the lever that keeps the aperture wide open. That is why Nikon never will allow this, unless the mechanical linkage is not present.

The only exception is of course with an E lens such as the PC-E models having their own preview control, because the camera "knows" that the preview lever is pushed in. The view in the finder then shows the stopped-down image, but the meter read-out stays put.

Metering at the wide open aperture is the preferred method anyway, as it is potentially the most accurate and sensitive.

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2016, 07:10:50 »
still not sure why it is possible with film cameras but not on digital :o :o :o don't know if i am stubborn or what but it just doesn't make sense to me. for now I am treating the Df as a non-metered camera

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2016, 09:35:24 »
Nikon follows their own logic re stop-down metering. Was always possible, would be possible even on digital, but is blocked.

Non-AI metering on the Df is a real breeze if you do it correctly and follow the instructions to the dot.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2016, 22:20:54 »
I've wondered if Nikon's refusal to allow stop down metering is a support issue.

My first camera, a Nikkormat FTn and lens a 55/3.5 Nikkor-P Auto used stop down metering with the supplied Nikon M2 tube. It's so easy it's ridiculous. Then again there is nothing stopping one from using hand held meters. I shot B&W film almost exclusively with Pentax spot meters. My second camera was a Nikon F with a standard un-metered prism and the third was a Nikon F2 also with a standard prism.

I'm quite surprised the Df doesn't offer simple, old time, pure stop down metering.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2016, 23:23:39 »
Even my Canon T90 did that. I do stop down metering with the Df - using the old PC lenses, by the way.
Airy Magnien

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2016, 01:05:51 »
Does any current Nikon have a stop down that is truly mechanical - i.e. will work with power off?