Author Topic: Geared Heads For Tele Work  (Read 17543 times)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Geared Heads For Tele Work
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2016, 00:01:03 »
Since Nikea also has shared an interest - I'm collecting orders in Denmark for anyone who would like to become members of this club - they are about 30$ for a set.
Erik Lund

Kim Pilegaard

• "Nikea"
  • NG Supporter
  • Copenhagen
    • Profile at Nature Photographers in Denmark
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2016, 20:00:42 »
Here is the larger relative to the Burzynski head. This is the Berlebach LEVELLING ADAPTER 33° Ø 100 MM/4 " on a Gitzo series 5 tripod. It is excellent with my Nikkor 500/4 AFS VR and the D800. The build quality is quite high, although not quite as high as that of the Burzynski. The panorama base is a Feisol PB-70 and the quick release clamp is from Really Right Stuff.

Kim

jhinkey

• Just Trying To Do My MF Nikkors Justice
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2016, 17:23:30 »
Here is the larger relative to the Burzynski head. This is the Berlebach LEVELLING ADAPTER 33° Ø 100 MM/4 " on a Gitzo series 5 tripod. It is excellent with my Nikkor 500/4 AFS VR and the D800. The build quality is quite high, although not quite as high as that of the Burzynski. The panorama base is a Feisol PB-70 and the quick release clamp is from Really Right Stuff.

Wow that does not look light, but it sure looks stable!
PNW Landscapes, My Kids, & Some Climbing

jhinkey

• Just Trying To Do My MF Nikkors Justice
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2016, 18:31:08 »
OK - while I'm working on a better geared head solution, I have been listening about the tripod recommendations.

Just locally a Vinten 3819-3 has popped up on Craigslist.  $600 including the head (don't need) and spreader.

Here's the model on the Vinten web site:
http://www.vinten.com/en/product/75mm-bowl-pozi-loc-tripod

It's rated to 55 lbs (just the legs) and has a 75mm bowl.

Assuming I get the mid-level spreader - what you guys think of it's usefulness with my 600mm (and hopefully far more stiff geared head solution)?
PNW Landscapes, My Kids, & Some Climbing

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2016, 21:26:25 »
Pardon my naive question: how do you attach a head (ball or fluid, does it matter?) to a bowl, either 75mm or 100mm size?
Simone Tomasi

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2016, 21:37:25 »
The video heads have a 'levelling bowl' as their base.  This can be purchased separately to make a foundation for other kinds of heads. There are adapter rings to convert from 75 to 100 mm class tripods.

Some heads, such as the legendary Burzynski, can be seated directly into the tripod head and secured from below.

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2016, 22:20:09 »
Some heads, such as the legendary Burzynski, can be seated directly into the tripod head and secured from below.

And what about other ball heads normally used in still photography?

Deleted, I should have read more carefully Bjørn's post, the answer to my question was already there
Simone Tomasi

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2016, 00:10:19 »
I bought one of these back in 1984 for about $35.00 (USD)...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sinar-Pan-Tilt-Head-Black-/262526832947?hash=item3d1fd19133:g:1sYAAOSwqfNXiSfB

Today that would cost about $83.00 in Consumer Price Index adjusted USD. If one can be found at a reasonable price it could allow one to spend bigger money on a worthy set of legs. I don't think $350.00 (USD) is a reasonable price. As I recall it was part of a Sinar 8x10" view camera setup. I pair it with a Wimberley C-30 Arca-Swiss type clamp.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!