Author Topic: Driving the North Norfolk Coast Road " Thornham Village and Estuary "  (Read 1360 times)

John G

• "Borrowed a Little Light"
  • NG Member
I headed to the Norfolk Coast on Sunday to share in a Dinner with family and friends. After we said our good bye's, I took the opportunity to have a 40 mile drive along the Coast Road, heading west. The road is most of the time a inland separated from the sea by large expanses of salt marsh. Many areas of the salt marshes are now long established Nature Reserves, with Cley Marshes being Britains oldest established Bird Sanctuary. The villages that the road travels through the heart of are very picturesque, with Churches, Barns,Windmills, Houses and Boundary Walls commonly constructed of flint stone. Depending on ones wealth whilst doing construction, the flint is used in a variety of finishes. In some of the more rustic structures a combination of construction materials are used, large
whole flint, small whole flint, Broken Flint, Chalk, Brick, this is a construction known locally as Rubble Wall.
These villages were not designed to have regular vehicle traffic pass through and have many bends and bridges only passable as a one way traffic, this adds to their character making them very photogenic 
This is a area I have taken many photo's and always intend to.
John Gallagher

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
John, thank you for sharing - these are lovely.  I am more than a bit envious of you and the trip that you have taken here.

Norfolk is an area in the UK that my wife & I hope to visit.  Her late uncle flew from Langham with RAF 489 squadron in WWII, so it is a very special (and sad) area for her.
Hugh Gunn

John G

• "Borrowed a Little Light"
  • NG Member
Hi Hugh
            Thank you for your compliment.
            I,m sure that you will very much enjoy your time in Norfolk, when the opportunity arises.
            The Town of Langham is today on the tourist map for its cottage industries, artists are established in and around the area, they also have a glass
            foundary where bespoke glass blowing takes place.
            If your wife would like me to capture her a image of something she has had in mind in the North Norfolk area let me know. 
John Gallagher