Author Topic: AF-S Nikkor 105/1.4E to be announced  (Read 72864 times)

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
Re: AF-S Nikkor 105/1.4E to be announced
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2016, 10:55:19 »
I could trade my 85/1.4G for this one.  :)
Chris Dees

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2016, 11:58:47 »
The AFS 2300/2 shows Nikon engineers can, if they so wish, make a superfast lens having internal focusing yet not exhibiting the usual optical side effects in terms of CA of the axial kind. However, that kind of performance doesn't come for free: price and weight are the response.

Yes, but ... if the 105/1.4 is intended as a portrait lens, as the large aperture suggests, it will be over-corrected for spherical aberration, as the 200/2 does not need to be.  Over-corrected spherical aberration is what gives you the nice smooth bokeh in the background - the foreground bokeh is ugly bright rings, but that is rarely an issue in portraits.  (Perfectly corrected spherical aberration gives less soft bokeh that is symmetrical from front to back and uncorrected spherical aberration gives nice smooth foreground bokeh and harsh ring bokeh in the background: the DC lenses change the amount of spherical aberration so you can move the attractive bokeh around).  Spherical aberration is wavelength dependent, so colour fringing is always prominent in lenses with designed-in spherical aberration.

Spherical aberration increases with the cube of the aperture, so even one stop less maximum aperture makes a big difference - this is why among portrait lenses an f/1.8 is never quite the same as an f/1.4 as far as bokeh smoothness goes.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2016, 21:34:34 »
That does it! I'm going to have to sell my house and live in a tent.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2016, 21:53:45 »
No need to live in a tent. You can live in the box it comes with ;)

bjornthun

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2016, 21:59:23 »
You make tents sound very spacious. ;)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2016, 00:04:36 »
Yes but!

I need a 24/1.4, 58/1.4 and 105/1.4 to be complete. :)

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2016, 00:37:02 »
Yes but!

I need a 24/1.4, 58/1.4 and 105/1.4 to be complete. :)

Dave

So, you can have a second house and a summer house!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2016, 01:28:35 »
If the 105/1.4 is intended as a portrait lens, as the large aperture suggests, it will be over-corrected for spherical aberration, as the 200/2 does not need to be.
I think you mean under-corrected for spherical aberration...

This is possible, since Nikon seem to optimise lenses more for beautiful rendering rather than resolution, which is why they don't always do well on test charts - the 58/1.4 being an obvious example.

However, a 105/1.4 lens has an entrance pupil larger than 135/2.8 or 180/2.8 lenses, the blur circles will be so large that the lens could be perfectly corrected for spherical aberrations (neutral bokeh) and background would still be rendered smoothly. I expect most super-telephotos are corrected like this to ensure maximum sharpness - spherical aberrations cause loss of sharpness towards the edge of the image. Maybe just a shade under-corrected, not enough to affect sharpness too much, but enough to make the background smoother? I'm sure the lens designers have long discussions on this...

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2016, 02:08:09 »
In addition, the obvious light fall-off is related to the cat's eye shape of the bokeh in the background.  In order to keep the bokeh as round as possible, the front element should be larger than necessary for the speed.
Or the whole optical unit (front to back) is as short as possible. The 105/4 micro is a good example, the front element is not oversized but the optical unit is very compact - just 5 elements grouped near the front of the lens barrel. That means oblique rays are hardly clipped by the edge of the front or rear elements. A single-element magnifying glass is the most extreme example - no mechanical vignetting at all!

Obviously compact designs are rarely possible with high speed lenses. Even with oversize front elements most have high mechanical vignetting, giving strong light fall-off and cats-eye bokeh towards the edges of the image.

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2016, 06:46:09 »
This is what Nikon say about the lens in the press release: "The 105mm f/1.4E is a fast lens with endearing character, providing stellar optical performance, even in the peripherals. Sharp rendering is attained for shooting distant subjects throughout the aperture range – from maximum aperture to being stopped down by several stops. Gradual alteration from the focal plane helps render subjects in high-fidelity with a natural depth, giving colorful portraits and landscapes that little bit of extra “pop” to help create a truly distinct image. The AF-S NIKKOR 105mm f/1.4 is also an excellent choice for low-light photography, as its large maximum aperture allows photographers to shoot at the fastest possible shutter speeds. Additionally, this lens can reproduce point light sources faithfully without sagittal coma flare, even on the edges of the frame.

Masterful Lens Construction
Decades of precision, knowledge and experience are put forth into every NIKKOR lens, and the AF-S NIKKOR 105mm f/1.4E ED is an exceptional example of brilliant craftsmanship and Nikon technologies merging. Packed with the latest advanced optical innovations, the 105mm f/1.4 features Nikon’s electromagnetic aperture control technology for consistent exposures, even during high speed continuous shooting.2

On the outside, solid build quality is well-balanced for all-day shooting, while the lens is sealed and gasketed to resist dust and moisture. Additional Fluorine coatings are used on the front and rear elements, so that smudges, dirt or moisture are easily removed. Inside the lens, the optical formula consists of 14 elements in nine groups, which include three ED glass elements. A 9-blade diaphragm further helps to create a circular, pleasing out of focus area. The lens also features Nikon’s Nano Crystal Coat technology to significantly reduce instances of ghosting and flare."

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2016, 07:06:41 »
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://www.nikon-image.com/products/lens/nikkor/af-s_nikkor_105mm_f14e_ed/features01.html&edit-text=

The rendering looks lovely :o :o :o

just look at the guy that looks like a genie, the lens is a worthy successor to the 105mm f/2.5 lens line ::)

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2016, 07:17:28 »
"A worthy successor to the 105mm f/2.5 lens line"?

Well let us hope so. 

With today's optical design, materials, and manufacturing know how at their disposal, I just wonder what Nikon could come up with by way of an entirely new 105mm f/2.5 lens?  It would be quite special I am sure.
Hugh Gunn

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2016, 07:21:24 »
f/2.5 does not mean anything nowadays..people want fast fast fast :o :o :o
i want cheap cheap cheap ::)

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2016, 07:28:19 »
Getting more interesting.  Certainly not a light weight (Approx. 985 g (2 lb 2.8 oz) ).  I really do like the FL for indoor events and functions shooting mainly people participating and attending.  I spent time checking out 135mnm vs 105mm in the venues where I often shoot and 105mm was a far more useful FL.  My keeper rate would go up with AF vs MF.

Richard, I do not often use my f1.4 85D at 1.4 but there are times I really want to separate two people having a social interaction .  It is more money than I need to spend  :(
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2016, 07:43:55 »
Wow that is a nice les, designed like the 35 and 58mm 1.4 AFS - looks perfect in more or less all aspects 8) and fits the line of 1.4 AFS lenses

Only little issue with the others is the slow AF speed but let's see  ;)
Erik Lund