Author Topic: Storing Lenses  (Read 11864 times)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Storing Lenses
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2017, 09:26:47 »
this problem manifested itself on very early Nikkors with 9-bladed designs :o :o :o

it happened on my lens and another member's lens ::)

I also noticed that early Nikkors for the F-mount have sloppy iris construction meaning that the machining was not precise and people had to make adjustments. I noticed this on several lenses from the very early days of the F-mount.

https://richardhaw.com/2017/04/17/repair-auto-nikkor-p-105mm-f2-5/

and here is an example. I saw some sloppier examples that I don't have online but I will show later when I have the chance. for example, holes were drilled on incorrect places and the correct holes were drilled just beside the wrong one. Not making things up, they really exist!

Looks like Nikon was learning how to make automatic apertures and these were the result of that.

This is a later repair/hack job, not an out of the factory product. IMHO
The slit itself is not the intended end-stop for that leaver.
Erik Lund

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2017, 09:44:40 »

This is a later repair/hack job, not an out of the factory product. IMHO
The slit itself is not the intended end-stop for that leaver.

it is on this particular lens unfortunately (well, at least very likely)
If I am not mistaken, this is the same lens with the corrected screw holes that I described :o :o :o
I was shocked. saw the same thing on some Nikkor-H 5cm lenses from the early years but not this "brutal"

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2017, 10:08:01 »
But this slit can be 10mm longer without any effect on functionality,,, to me it looks like someone deliberately wanted to change the way the lens operate disregard how it was designed.

This will take a huge amount of time to mill out, inserting and adjusting, and in the wrong place,,, not a Nikon assembly line job,,,

Why would it be a factory repair/adjustment?
Erik Lund

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2017, 10:25:32 »
But this slit can be 10mm longer without any effect on functionality,,, to me it looks like someone deliberately wanted to change the way the lens operate disregard how it was designed.

This will take a huge amount of time to mill out, inserting and adjusting, and in the wrong place,,, not a Nikon assembly line job,,,

Why would it be a factory repair/adjustment?

the slots of the plate inside were adjusted,too. when I opened the lens, there was no evidence that it was worked on by another person. The screw heads were clean without the slightest marks and the lacquers were still in-place as far as I recall :o :o :o adding to that, this is not the only sample where I found similar adjustments that were made. as far as I recall, this regulates the maximum size of the iris and not the stop-down lever mechanism. anyway, ill just leave it at that.

JKoerner007

« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2017, 19:12:43 »
I think it's more important a lens is being used for its intended purpose once in a while. A task which of course might turn into a challenge if the lens volume is big enough :(

Which is why, for me personally, I don't have any lenses 'just to collect.'

I either have studio macro lenses (that I use), field macro lenses (that I use), as well as field landscape/telephoto lenses (that I use) ... all manual, save one ... and that's pretty much it.

Am considering a collection of AF lenses (3 to be exact) to be used for situations where manual lenses might cause a missed shot (mainly evening/night situations photographing people), where AF will just nail it quickly.

Other than that, I have no use for owning any lens 'just because' ...

That said, I still say a gun safe is the best containment method.
I have tried cabinets, closet shelves, Pelican cases, etc.
None of them has the convenience, or total security, of a gun safe. Not by a country mile.

Using large closet (silica gel) dehumidifiers within the safe, these also render machinated humidity-control obsolete.

If you have a much larger collection, you can get much larger gun safes.

FYI, all gun safes have adjustable shelving so you can adapt to your particular lens sizes.
You can also buy additional shelving to better-suit photography gear over guns.

Gun safes store everything: Tripods ... monopods ... huge/long glass?
They all fit and can be accommodated.

Even better, the largest safes not only can store more cameras/lenses, but they typically also have internal electrical outlets (so those who insist on machinated dehumidifiers can deploy them within the case).
As a bonus, larger safes also offer greater fire protection (they can withstand more heat), and in the event of a fire, they can withstand the higher level of heat for a much longer duration.

Finally, by adding a door-mounted sleeve, you also have storage for all your adapters, filters, remote switches, and other accouterments.

No other solution is comparable ... not even close (IMO).