Author Topic: Unleashing image potential of the humble JML 50 mm f/3.5 lens.  (Read 5374 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
[ Posted 23 May 2013 - 21:03 ]

From today's work on the flowers of  Glechoma hederacea (Ground-Ivy), I was struck by what a modest lens could achieve given the proper technique.

The JML 50 mm f/3.5 is a dirt cheap and unpretentious enlarger lens, comprising a simple triplet optical design and the very minimum if any at all in terms of coating. I got some samples from a sell-out sale where they sold for $10 incl. shipping each, so the financial strain was tolerable. The seller even combined shipping costs when I purchased a couple of them together.

I knew this lens did pass a lot of UV, but always have been in doubt about the optical quality. Earlier attempts trying to stacking the JML with a UV-Nikkor to achieve higher magnifications were not successful, though. However, today I needed a 50-ish lens to go on my PB-4 bellows so I could shoot the Ground Ivy flower at around 2X magnification. Nearest candidate on the overflowing studio table was the JML so that was the lens I used. To acquire some additional depth of field the lens was set to f/16. Yes, I know, this is way into diffraction domain, but with UV you may get away with it nonetheless (sometimes).

First, a reference shot in visible light with the Nikon D600. Apart from demonstrating  my D600 has a dirty sensor and the lens is a terrible performer operated in the manner chosen, no surprise here. Next, I swapped the D600 for my Nikon D3200 (modified with internal Baader U Venus Generation 2) and started a stacking sequence shooting as quickly as the Broncolor heads would recycle in order not to roast the poor flower. As only the camera was exchanged image perspective and magnification obviously were unchanged going from D600 to D3200, but frame coverage became different (more on that later). The total stack comprised 52 images but PhotoNinja crashed after about 40 so I had to make do with them.Unfortunately,  PhotoNinja is not a very reliable program for batching. Zerene Stacker was used to perform the final focus stacking.

In visible light, this 100% crop shows the awful performance of the JML. This is a crop from the lower lip of the flower corolla. Due to the inherent low contrast of the lens and its negligible coating, you get terrible noise as well.

Horrible, isn't it? It's been a good many years if not decades since I last encountered this kind of 'quality' (sic). Maybe even $10 was to much to pay for such a lens?

Next, the D3200 output. I cropped so the covered area was similar to what is shown for D600. The cameras have different pixel pitch and in order to match the perceived scale, I downsampled the D3200 image by a factor of 0.7. Thus you can compare the crops directly. Note this entails putting the D3200 at a disadvantage as you effectively lose some of the resolved details.

Now, this is like opening a door into a new world. Every detail is there and crisply defined. You can identify each and every conical cell on the corolla surface, and you can study their shape as well. Some are flat-topped, some are papillate, some are chained in rows, and so on.

Again, keep in mind both shots were of the same subject from the identical position, the identical magnification, and with the lens set to the same aperture, f/16. The UV capture truly unleashes the potential of this $10 lens. Food for thought, I would suggest.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Unleashing image potential of the humble JML 50 mm f/3.5 lens.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 08:02:56 »
Bjørn, did you try to reverse the lens?  It renders the image much sharper.  I shot Patrinia scabiosaefolia in larger-than-life size with this very lens reversed, and the image was sharp enough even to render some connical structure.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 09:12:52 »
I have tried both orientations. Not much of a difference.

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 12:19:07 »
i have used the JML Optical 21mm f/3.5 with good results... at around 10x mag.

see http://www.pbase.com/bobfriedman/image/142529676
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 12:24:08 »
This was far lower magnification (2X), that and the f/16 setting might have a bearing on the outcome?

Must admit I was taken by surprise when the results from D600 for the visible-light capture came up, so repeated the sequence and got the same result.

The JML apparently is a simple triplet design and thus probably has a restricted operational space so to speak. If you are inside, then results are good, if outside you really are taking a hit.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 12:29:19 »
Bob, I would suspect your 21/3.5 is not an enlarger lens but the one for a different purpose?

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 12:30:29 »
the JML 21 is a machine vision lens i believe

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 12:36:30 »
Bob: The 21 mm f/3.5 is entirely different from the humble (and cheap) enlarger lens used by me.

Earlier, I have used the JML 50/3.5 for visual work and found it quite sharp. This was with a fixed focus around 1 m on my D600. The corners were a little mushy until one stopped the lens well down, though. Thus the outcome of the JML 50 might be very sensitive to the magnification it is used at. Given the simple optical design, probably not unexpected.

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 12:51:56 »
Ok. I really don't know much about the JML 21 (optical design). It was very inexpensive (20 USD) and reported on photomacrography.con back in 2012.  So I purchased one. Not a lot of working distance.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 12:57:29 »
Bjørn, I hope you would allow me to post my image here.  This is the 100% crop of the image I referred to in the previous post.  Shot with my JML50/3.5 reversed.  The magnification was a little over 1:1, IIRC.  I reversed the lens because I knew I was going to make a larger-than-life image.  The camera was D2H and the NEF was newly processed in CC2015.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 13:19:56 »
No problem with posting Akira. We are slowly solving puzzles.

With any lens there is an optimum placement in the parameter space (magnfication, distance, aperture, ...) and hopefully the narrowest possible pessimum. I might have hit the latter with my initial setup for the JML 50 on the D600 whilst you steered clear of it.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 13:41:43 »
Bjørn, thanks!

And this is a UV version.  As you know, the compensation of the focal distance was a guess work those days.  Sorry for my sloppy technique...