Author Topic: Projection lenses  (Read 133000 times)

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
Re: Projection lenses
« Reply #240 on: September 12, 2018, 11:21:17 »
Thanks Toby!
formerly known as kds315

Toby

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Toby Marshall
« Reply #241 on: September 12, 2018, 19:53:59 »
One of my fav lenses Andrea, very unique Petzval bokeh it has. With a bit patience, it
can be sourced, although prices for original ones have gone up quite a bit. I'll let you
know when I see one...

Just a note: the old Pathe Freres projection lenses were made by Hermagis, before they were bought by SOM.

Toby

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Toby Marshall
« Reply #242 on: September 12, 2018, 20:02:26 »
Just came back from a shooting assignment in Kyrgyzstan, and on the last day had a couple of hours of free time in the capital Bishkek. I was able to wander around the parks with my Sony A7RII with an Angenieux AX Type 86 projection lens set to 95mm, and ran across a chess game on a park bench. I have a few other shots; this is the only one I've worked on so far, but I do like it. I'm also posting some earlier shots out and about, since I do like this lens even at longer distances.

Toby

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Toby Marshall
« Reply #243 on: September 12, 2018, 20:22:00 »
It turns out that my Angenieux AX Type 65 85-90mm lens with the insane swirly bokeh has been modified; the rear doublet was replaced with that from an unknown lens. I've managed to find an unmodified Type 65 (this one 90-95mm) and am posting my first tries with it. Still Petzval swirly, but not like the modified one, and extremely sharp in the center.

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #244 on: September 14, 2018, 09:41:17 »
ahhhh, THAT explains it Toby! Was always wondering why mine has such a different draw than yours!
Very nice series!
formerly known as kds315

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #245 on: September 25, 2018, 01:48:40 »
Old 80mm HERMAGIS projection lens..

formerly known as kds315

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #246 on: September 25, 2018, 13:28:21 »
I admire your projection lens stamina! Very impressive thread Klaus :)  Wonderful and special images

A quick side question, do you consider to acquire an Z6 or Z7, seems to me you would benefit from having the actual rendering and Bokeh directly available in the viewfinder,?
Here I especially consider also that it's FX full frame and a really good viewfinder apparently.
Erik Lund

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #247 on: September 25, 2018, 13:37:46 »
Old 80mm HERMAGIS projection lens..

Beautiful rendering of the HERMAGIS!  The flare adds pleasant glow to the image.  Is the lens uncoated?
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #248 on: September 25, 2018, 23:50:33 »
I admire your projection lens stamina! Very impressive thread Klaus :)  Wonderful and special images

A quick side question, do you consider to acquire an Z6 or Z7, seems to me you would benefit from having the actual rendering and Bokeh directly available in the viewfinder,?
Here I especially consider also that it's FX full frame and a really good viewfinder apparently.

I have ogled the Z6 and Z7, have to see how much better they turn out, once available, than my mirrorless cameras I use since many years ;-)
formerly known as kds315

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #249 on: September 25, 2018, 23:51:20 »
Beautiful rendering of the HERMAGIS!  The flare adds pleasant glow to the image.  Is the lens uncoated?

Arigato domo Akira! That lens is from around 1900, so of course it is uncoated!!
formerly known as kds315

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #250 on: September 26, 2018, 00:51:03 »
Arigato domo Akira! That lens is from around 1900, so of course it is uncoated!!

Wow, that's amazing!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #251 on: September 26, 2018, 07:09:56 »
Always a treat seeing all these different projection lenses, thanks so much for sharing.

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #252 on: September 26, 2018, 20:05:56 »
Most welcome guys, I shall post more as I got a few more such unique lenses...
formerly known as kds315

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #253 on: September 26, 2018, 20:06:52 »
Always a treat seeing all these different projection lenses, thanks so much for sharing.

Did you already get one/some Fons?
formerly known as kds315

Toby

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Toby Marshall
« Reply #254 on: September 27, 2018, 00:11:14 »

I will just chime in to say that I use a FF Sony, and I find the critical focus and in-body stabilization features absolutely critical when using projection lenses. Most projection lenses do not achieve both best edge sharpness and best edge contrast at the same point, so critical focus lets me choose exactly where I want to be. And stabilization let’s me see what I am doing while in critical focus mode, when I am handheld, which is 99% of the time.

The Sony EVF is excellent, and with most lenses I can focus even without critical focus—much more easily than on the back screen of a DSLR in live view, even with magnification hood, and almost equal to an OVF. I would not go back to an OVF.

As to the Nikon specifically: the big advantage is the very shot flange distance—2 mm shorter than the Sony. However at this point no third party adapters are available for mounting vintage lenses. In any case I would stay away from the first iteration of any new camera. I will consider the Z8 and Z9 when they come out. And let’s see What Fuji and Panasonic offerings will be. At the moment I am 95% happy with Sony, a huge leap forward for me from DSLR.