Author Topic: Do you still use an "obsolete" camera?  (Read 117464 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Do you still use an "obsolete" camera?
« Reply #165 on: March 04, 2017, 14:54:51 »
Then, score the Nikkor-W 35/1.8 and use the 50mm frames .. no more problems with parallax and probably a lot cheaper than getting a nice SP too. That 35 mm is scarily sharp, by the way. They did know how to make good lenses even in the '50s :D

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #166 on: March 04, 2017, 15:04:32 »
I am aiming for a W-nikkor 3.5cm f/3.5 because they are cheaper. some people use Russian lenses and claim that they worked OK with the Nikon S. :o :o :o

Now, this is my annoying and temperamental F-501 ::)
the film advance motor is too weak to advance colour films but is totally fine with Kodak 400TX. it is a racist camera, it doesn't like coloured film. ::)

Arninetyes

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #167 on: March 04, 2017, 16:49:52 »
Since I was recently asked "Really? Your camera *only* has 12 megapixels?", I suppose my D700 is a trifle obsolete. Doesn't matter though. I have no plans to replace it.

Nutcracker - D700, Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 AiS @ f/2.8
SMinor - D700, Nikon PB-4 with Rodenstock APO Rodagon-D, 75mm f/4 @f/16

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #168 on: March 04, 2017, 17:10:54 »
the D700 is still an awesome camera  :o :o :o

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #169 on: March 04, 2017, 18:46:09 »
This camera barely escaped recycling. Distortion is awful and quite frankly, I would say the lens stinks. Impossible to handhold too, after the fluids are drained :) Taken today, HP4+, developed one hour in rodinal, and scanned with D500.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #170 on: March 04, 2017, 19:18:27 »
The proverbial oat meal box, or a beer can?

Too meagre pixel count for contemporary tastes I'm afraid :D

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #171 on: March 04, 2017, 19:45:41 »
It was a beer can Bjørn. Fun for the father and fun for the kids ;) 0,33 liter can fit 4x5 perfect. They are going out tonight to see if they can catch some star trails or at least the moon.

Peter_S

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: The Fuji GFX50s for Gearheads
« Reply #172 on: March 04, 2017, 20:30:24 »
I really like this discussion.
Before I had my D800 I thought all DX cams are obsolete.
Two weeks ago I took out my "obsolete" D70 with a "obsolete" Nikkor 50 SC lens (chipped)

Files are small and I can shoot and shoot and shoot and yes, there are always some keepers.
Using the newest raw converters pulls out really good iq

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #173 on: March 04, 2017, 21:23:40 »
The D70 has earned me more money over the years than almost any other camera.

Peter

• "Remember You can only use one eye at a time"
  • NG Member
  • Los Alamos, New Mexico
« Reply #174 on: March 05, 2017, 18:38:29 »
If it works and produces good images "it Ain't obsolete".
I don't plan on being a Rock Star of the Photograph world anyway.
I am happy and grateful with what I have.
Went out yesterday for a short ride on my Motorcycle to Hernandez, NM and did some testing with the new 20mm Ai f4.. I am still up in the air on this lens.   ???
Nothing tightens up till around f16?
This image was PPed a bit experimenting exposure stacking so it's not the true Raw file it's like four files using HDR Stacking.
I hand held these on a fence post keeping my Eye on the grid and a fixed spot while working through the shutter speed dial, didn't bring the tripod OOPS?  :o

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #175 on: March 05, 2017, 18:50:10 »
Well said, Peter. While all of my parts don't function as they once did, and I'm closer to being obsolete than many others, I still work! However, I must say that I'm not exactly in demand.  ;)

My old D200 is the newest Nikon around our joint.
Carl

Peter

• NG Member
  • Los Alamos, New Mexico
« Reply #176 on: March 05, 2017, 19:13:58 »
Well said, Peter. While all of my parts don't function as they once did, and I'm closer to being obsolete than many others, I still work! However, I must say that I'm not exactly in demand.  ;)

My old D200 is the newest Nikon around our joint.
Still have my D200 for a back up as well..
I am happy with the D700 I get to use my old lenses and have something to do waiting for that phone call for a Job interview, I have been waiting over a year now?
It does make one feel obsolete after getting laid off. :-\
I guess you can look at ones photographs as there visual interpretation of what they see of the world and what effects them?
The person may be obsolete as well as there equipment but the image that was made in the frame frozen in time will be around forever.
And that's why I love photography it's capturing something that will never be again and can never be repeated, it's the photographers vision of the moment.

I grew up on the west coast of Florida. When I was a kid in the late 60's my parents would take me with them to Tampa Airport to pick up or send off a relative and on the ride we passed this large field, Green grass surrounded by scrub oak and dotted with larger oak trees and Palmettos. This huge dead oak tree stood in the center of this field and it captivated me.
As the moods of the light and sky was ever changing the way it looked every time we went past this spot. Some time in the early morning Shrouded by fog, storm clouds over head during the summer afternoon monsoons and smoke from smudge pots burning in the nearby Orange orchards in early winter months with beams of sun breaking through and raining down on this tree.
 When I started photography I was driving by then had an old KAWA Six Medium Format and a roll of Kodak 120 Technical Pan, I was determined to do something with this tree and make a record of it.
I got some good photographs and printed a few out.
Not long after that a real estate sign appears along the fence, by this time I was driving past this field every day going to work then one day I was stunned to see that they sold it and earth movers tearing the field and surrounding area keeping a few choice looking older live oaks. No doubt this is going to be another gated gulf club community for rich retirees with a cheesy pond and fountain in the foreground, sure enough it was!!!! >:(
Many years later I entered these photos into a local contest the theme was "remember our local heritage". This was funny as by now the old Florida Cracker Ranchers and Grove owners had long moved out and now was filled by people from New York, Jersey and Chicago, most of us moved down from the north with our parents when they retired. I was from Chicago originally!
But I was stunned to meet people that told me "When I was a kid my grand father, my sister, my Dad my Mom my friends Etc" would ride past this field".
So many people recognized this dead tree as a symbol of there childhood and how things are not the same it was truly humbling. I was awarded in the top five that day.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #177 on: March 05, 2017, 19:52:06 »
I'd like to have those fantastic clouds in your image available on demand.
Carl

Peter

• NG Member
  • Los Alamos, New Mexico
« Reply #178 on: March 05, 2017, 20:01:32 »
I'd like to have those fantastic clouds in your image available on demand.
That HDR sure pulls every essence of them out of the sky, it also brings up on demand any crap stuck to your sensor that you thought you had completely cleaned off. :D

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #179 on: March 05, 2017, 20:18:52 »
did some testing with the new 20mm Ai f4.. I am still up in the air on this lens.   ???
Nothing tightens up till around f16?
My sample (a very late 20mm f/4 AI (serial 140xxx) is wide open pretty good.   I had more sample's of the 20mm f/4 and have the impression that how later the serial number, the better the performance. At least version K vs AI.   

Here at  f/4  on the (obsolete)  D800E  ;)   (On DX the performance is even better)