Author Topic: Do you still use an "obsolete" camera?  (Read 117401 times)

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Do you still use an "obsolete" camera?
« Reply #150 on: February 26, 2017, 12:06:10 »
I use the D3x in the studio because it color calibrates well (xrite) and at ISO 100-125 the image quality is great and it has the AA filter which like to have for fabrics. I have also a D810 but I use it more for landscape and general photography. I like to keep the D3X set up for studio so it has the shutter speed locked to 1/200s and everything is ready to go. I also like the way it handles with the vertical grip built in, very comfortable for predominantly vertical portrait shooting in the studio. I suppose D810 would give higher resolution but this is not something I need and it is not quite as comfortable to my hands. Many are always quick to point out how outdated the D3X is at high ISO and how expensive it was, but for this application it is perfect for me and over the years the cost is less an issue. I didn't pay the full original price for it as I bought it at a rather late stage. I think there may never be a direct replacement due to the popularity of the D8x0 but there is no reason for me not to continue using it until it stops working one day. I would not buy one today but as an older camera it still has a role to play.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #151 on: February 26, 2017, 12:10:52 »
Couldn't agree more. D3X is a superb camera. For nature and landscapes, low ISO settings in conjunction with a tripod is the usual approach anyway. I'll use mine until it gives up the ghost.

Admittedly, the D3X is weak on higher ISO numbers, just like the D2X in its time. Didn't prevent them being excellent units and the no-nonsense immaculate handling is a big plus in the final reckoning.

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #152 on: February 28, 2017, 01:39:14 »
The phrase obsolete is in quotes, so I think an D40x with Nikkor 50mm Q-C qualifies

7154_CapOne_DxO by j h, on Flickr

50mm Q.C a medium format Nikkor?
Buddy

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #153 on: February 28, 2017, 01:42:24 »
Does the D3 count as "obsolete"? She is still my best JPEG ooc machine, although the RAWs are also very fine. OK, not as fine as the D600 RAWs.

Not sure the D3 will ever become obsolete. It even renders noise in a pleasant way.

Here with a not obsolete 1964 5cm f2 Nikkor-S

DSC_6383 by b j, on Flickr
Buddy

Peter

• "Remember You can only use one eye at a time"
  • NG Member
  • Los Alamos, New Mexico
« Reply #154 on: February 28, 2017, 05:15:26 »
So this keeps the D700 into the same category?

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #155 on: February 28, 2017, 09:36:37 »
Bjørn and Christophe already mentioned the Fujifilm S5 Pro as an 'obsolete' camera. It is far from obsolete actually.  I have been looking for the S5 pro for years, basically as a back up because the S5 can take all the Nikkor lenses. 

The camera has been always pretty expensive, but since last year a number of them have come to the market including the lenses which makes it a very cheap alternative for a back up camera.

It's high dynamic range is still unique, especially regarding the blown out highlights which the S5 can recover including the real colours. That gives a lot of extra opportunities in difficult high dynamic light situations.   Apart from white gowns and snow it is also very effective with studio and flash photography.

The camera and post-processing is a study on itself and I am still on the learning path there.  I recently got a copy of the 'HyperUtility 3' and discovered it is essential in the post processing as it can be tweaked effectively and will create a richer 16 bit TIFF file than any other post-processing software I have tested. That TIFF file can be used in ACR and CC (or other post-processor) for further development.  The dis-advantage - 'horror software' slow, complicated...  but the results are very good. 

Due to a strong AA filter the camera needs a) very good lenses and b) a good technique.

Two examples -- far from perfect but--   first with the 'obsolete' Angenieux 35-70/2.5 and second with Nikkor 17-35/2.8 were highlights were blown.

Lars Hansen

• NG Member
  • Zealand, Denmark
« Reply #156 on: February 28, 2017, 16:09:08 »
The  D40x (and to a lesser degree, D40) constitutes one of Nikon's more hidden gems. It is a surprisingly capable camera and has proven itself more robust than far "higher-end" models of various brands. I say no more.

My Nikon era started (and ended) with a D40 and I really enjoyed using it. It is now being used by my sister who shot these last autumn - the milky look of the water is caused by nearby chalk cliffs, Møns Klint.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #157 on: February 28, 2017, 20:06:15 »
I'm not alone in enjoying older yet functional cameras, apparently.

Like John Geerts, the Fuji S5 Pro is an appealing alternative when you feel the urge of having access to something not clinical and digitally perfect.

It handles most lenses in F-mount, although the 'E' types cannot have their aperture controlled by the camera. However, there are work-arounds for such trifling issues.

Here is an example from last summer, taken with the Nikkor 300/4 PF using the S5 Pro in 'EIR' mode. I was confined to a seaside cabin for an entire week due to health issues in conjunction with really bad weather. Thus finding subjects reachable from inside became a challenge on its own.

Peter Forsell

• NG Member
  • A Cunning Linguist
« Reply #158 on: March 04, 2017, 11:21:33 »
Couldn't agree more. D3X is a superb camera. For nature and landscapes, low ISO settings in conjunction with a tripod is the usual approach anyway. I'll use mine until it gives up the ghost.

Admittedly, the D3X is weak on higher ISO numbers, just like the D2X in its time. Didn't prevent them being excellent units and the no-nonsense immaculate handling is a big plus in the final reckoning.

I will keep on shooting my D3X till it dies. I think it was Lloyd Chambers back in the day (IIRC) that ran some tests with his D3 vs D3X and came to the conclusion that D3X is a better 12 Mpix camera than D3. I didn't believe him, I thought it was just the honeymoon effect talking when he had just got a new D3X.

But I pretty soon changed my mind and currently I completely agree with him. Even at high ISO settings applying judiciously some noise reduction and then resampling the D3X image to 12 Mpix, it has less noise and more detail than D3. Even so, that shooting at "ISO 12,800" is possible with D3X. I do it with ISO 1600 and 3EV push, this way I have more highlight headroom than with one stop push at ISO 6400. This has to be done absolutely in 14 bit mode, the shadows are super ugly and green in 12 bit mode and one can't push the image at all. I believe it is the result of high read noise.

Not to say that D3X is a low light camera per se, or sports camera either, but it hides a mighty engine under its bonnet. For low light and action I use D3S and D4S, but have no problem shooting D3X at ISO 6400 or higher, if I know I can resample to smaller size.

The same cannot be said of the earlier generation. D2X resampled to 4 Mpix can't still compete head to head with my D2HS in high ISO settings.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #159 on: March 04, 2017, 11:26:11 »
my latest obsolete camera :o :o :o

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #160 on: March 04, 2017, 11:39:44 »
Aha, the Nikon S2. Most popular of all the 'S' rangefinders. The early 5 cm f/2 Nikkor is a good match to it.

You do need to load the camera with film... You know, the CF card equivalent with only 20 or 36 exposures before its capacity is exhausted :D

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #161 on: March 04, 2017, 11:50:48 »
Myself, although I own all the 'S' models apart from the extremely scarce two first models (1 and M), my first love with these models commenced with the black Nikon S3 I purchased in London, UK more than 45 years ago. Turned out it was a special black edition made for Associated Press (London) and probably only delivered in 4-5 units. I learned this from the 'S guru' Mr Robert Rotolini himself, who asked me to strip down the camera and provide pictures of all the internal details, type and colour of screws, etc. He offered me no less than 50 K $ for it and I politely declined.

I made an adapter to allow the use of 'F' lenses many decades before such adapters could be had for cheap over the internet. Lots of images shot with the nice 50 mm f/2 Nikkor HC. Also seen from the pictures is substituting a late series 'F' film advance lever for the original one to make it grate less on my thumb.

If I ever take up using old-fashioned film, these cameras would be my first choice.

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #162 on: March 04, 2017, 13:38:36 »
nice rare camera :o :o :o can I share the images?

http://richardhaw.com/2017/03/04/repair-nikon-s2-front-overhaul/
I began playing around with the camera, gave it a front CLA  ::)

I like the camera but the parallax difference is driving me nuts  :'(

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #163 on: March 04, 2017, 13:50:14 »
As long as the origin and author are kept intact, no problem.

Parallax? You'll get used to it. Or get one of the "newer" models with parallax correction in the finder.

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #164 on: March 04, 2017, 14:36:43 »
As long as the origin and author are kept intact, no problem.

Parallax? You'll get used to it. Or get one of the "newer" models with parallax correction in the finder.

that's would only be the SP :o :o :o
and it is SPecially expensive ::)

thanks! I will link and credit, of course.