Author Topic: Do you still use an "obsolete" camera?  (Read 117381 times)

Netr

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Do you still use an "obsolete" camera?
« Reply #135 on: January 05, 2017, 23:38:05 »
User of obsolete cameras will be interested to know that Kodak is going to bring Ektachrome back. http://www.kodakalaris.com/en-us/about/press-releases/2016/kodak-alaris-reintroduces-iconic-ektachrome-still-film

Thomas G

• NG Supporter
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
« Reply #136 on: January 05, 2017, 23:56:43 »
User of obsolete cameras will be interested to know that Kodak is going to bring Ektachrome back. http://www.kodakalaris.com/en-us/about/press-releases/2016/kodak-alaris-reintroduces-iconic-ektachrome-still-film
Thanks. There seems to be a stable niche marked evolving. Still have a FE2 sitting in a storage box.
-/-/-

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #137 on: January 07, 2017, 00:30:41 »

Would prefer to get (an evolved) Kodachrome back, never was too impressed by Ektachrome, preferred Fuji
Wolfgang Rehm

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #138 on: January 07, 2017, 00:36:45 »
Oh no, not Kodachrome. A nightmarish film in all respects, bad colours, high contrast, almost impossible to scan properly. I'm pleased t see it go away, hopefully for ever.

Fuji films, except Velvia, scanned beautifully.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #139 on: January 07, 2017, 00:59:54 »
Oh no, not Kodachrome. A nightmarish film in all respects, bad colours, high contrast, almost impossible to scan properly. I'm pleased t see it go away, hopefully for ever.

Fuji films, except Velvia, scanned beautifully.
I know that you dont like it, I nevertheless liked the pastell like colours of the KM25. Indeed hard to scan
Agree on fuji and the exception of Velvia. Never understood why Velvia was so popular, awful greenish colour, preferred Sensia but Fuji made it worse in the subsequent versions
Wolfgang Rehm

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #140 on: January 07, 2017, 01:50:40 »
After Kodachrome was changed to make the chemistry more environmentally friendly I preferred Provia 100F. I never liked VelvIa. The contrast was pumped to give eye candy colors. If memory serves me Velvia greens were quite yellowish. Yuck!

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #141 on: January 07, 2017, 03:17:32 »
I loved the color (especially that of foliage) of KM25 combined with Leica lenses, set to ISO40 or 64 film and shot at 1/60 second or faster.  It didn't work as well with Nikkor lenses.  My favorite Fuji film for Nikon was ASTIA set to ISO125.  It looked like the KM25/Leica combo.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #142 on: January 08, 2017, 21:45:45 »
I like Velvia, and always have. Some folks like B&W, UV, and IR. I like vivid color, and they didn't make Velvia just for me.  ;)
Carl

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #143 on: January 08, 2017, 21:56:57 »
Velvia was my favorite and Agfa Scala  was a very fine BW reversable

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #144 on: January 08, 2017, 22:05:33 »
I love this camera :)

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #145 on: January 08, 2017, 22:52:48 »

And Agfa Ultra too!
Carl

Peter

• "Remember You can only use one eye at a time"
  • NG Member
  • Los Alamos, New Mexico
« Reply #146 on: January 09, 2017, 20:10:16 »

Velvia ISO 50 ;) I could amp it to 100 when I was shooting for the papers in a pinch. Didn't like it for large prints when pushed but on a small news paper print it was fine it made me money.
Ektachrome I didn't like the bluish tint it gave off, always had to use a warming filter on most things I was shooting back in the stone ages.
I loved the Kodak Technical Pan and Technidol for 120, stunning film for B&W..

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #147 on: January 10, 2017, 13:46:45 »
Does the D3 count as "obsolete"? She is still my best JPEG ooc machine, although the RAWs are also very fine. OK, not as fine as the D600 RAWs.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Gardener

• NG Member
  • D7200 , D5600 , D40x , RX100
« Reply #148 on: February 26, 2017, 11:26:28 »
The phrase obsolete is in quotes, so I think an D40x with Nikkor 50mm Q-C qualifies

7154_CapOne_DxO by j h, on Flickr

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #149 on: February 26, 2017, 11:54:55 »
The  D40x (and to a lesser degree, D40) constitutes one of Nikon's more hidden gems. It is a surprisingly capable camera and has proven itself more robust than far "higher-end" models of various brands. I say no more.

I think I'm down to just one or  two units now, one of them modified for IR. I used to have one modified for UV that served me well for years, but finally had to give way for a D3200 as it didn't support GPS. In all other respects, it surely delivered quality results. As I have CPU-modified virtually all my F-mount lenses, they could be used on the various D40/D40X bodies unrestricted and with full metering.

The entire discussion of "obsolete" cameras is quite strange. I prefer to think of this as something providing diversity in the expressions you can achieve, much like swapping film types in the old days.  There are of course some practical issues that can crop up, such as getting replacement batteries, but the blooming  cottage industry of China et al. solves that easily.