Author Topic: Do you still use an "obsolete" camera?  (Read 118170 times)

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Do you still use an "obsolete" camera?
« Reply #120 on: December 27, 2016, 19:34:27 »
The Df thread on this site inspired me to upgrade a few months ago from a D200 to a Df and add a few more AI and pre-AI lenses to my bag. This forum is the epitome of obsolescence.

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
« Reply #121 on: December 31, 2016, 09:32:23 »
my D3300 became obsolete at 810 clicks when the 3.5mm jack broke off in the mic socket ...no parts available....
Always listen to old people or when they die you live on in ignorance

PKS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #122 on: January 03, 2017, 00:00:46 »
Well….I just joined NG and at 50, I am very late to begin my journey in photography. Wish I had started much earlier, however, I am a few months in and digital scares the heck out of me. I am not particularly savvy with computers or software and have little experience. I began with a Nikkormat FTN and a few lenses shooting black & white. Sending out to the Darkroom in CA with so so results thus far. Mostly my kids and their activities and sports.

I just ordered a Nikon D2h from KEH. Why? Not sure except that I plan to use the 4 Nikkor lenses I already own. They are AI converted. I happened to come across Bjorn's old site by accident and read his D2h review and old lenses. Figured I would give it a go but I have to say, I love the simplicity of the Nikkormat.

So my first digital camera will be an obsolete one.

Cheers

PKS

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #123 on: January 03, 2017, 00:06:20 »
The D2H was an excellent camera for its time and still capable of delivering fine results. I keep one around for shooting documentary stuff for studio work.

I feel confident you will enjoy the D2H.

PKS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #124 on: January 03, 2017, 00:58:26 »
Thanks Bjorn. I sure hope so. What is the best way to keep the D2h nearly as simple as a nikkormat? Perhaps a foolish idea? I have no plans for any AF lenses. I like to manually focus and hope to do so with my older lenses and the D2h. It should arrive sometime this week.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #125 on: January 04, 2017, 23:56:10 »
Nikkormat FTN is a good camera to start, at least it was my start too long years ago. In Principle you can use any digital body a bit like a nikkormat, just use manual lenses and M mode - with a Nikkormat you dont need to consider white-balance though.
Wolfgang Rehm

PKS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #126 on: January 05, 2017, 02:26:28 »
I have enjoyed using the FTN. It is a fun and simple piece of equipment. The D2H came today. It is in excellent condition. 990 clicks on the shutter. So……White Balance. I do plan to shoot manual with manual lenses. I have no other lenses anyway. Did not need to consider that with BW film. Is there an optimal setting for white balance? Indoor vs outdoor? I really would like to keep everything to a minimum. Aperture, shutter, ASA and White Balance. Nothing more and focus on composition unless I am shooting my kids who never stop moving….

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #127 on: January 05, 2017, 02:38:36 »
Use 'Auto' w/B and keep ISO settings below 800.

For the lenses, set camera either to M or A (using P or S modes will default to A with manual non-CPU lenses) and use it as any old Nikon in terms of finding a proper exposure.

Do note any lens should be AI/Ais or AI-modified in order to mount on the D2H.

PKS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #128 on: January 05, 2017, 02:55:49 »
Thanks Bjorn. The lenses are properly modified. I will start playing a bit this week using auto WB. I did notice that you can adjust the WB through the Kelvin button. Any advantage to that or does the AWB work just as well regardless of light?

Paul

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #129 on: January 05, 2017, 03:00:25 »
Auto WB works just fine, will you be shooting Raw files or JPG files?
Erik Lund

PKS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #130 on: January 05, 2017, 03:28:43 »
This is my first digital experience so I guess I will mess with both. I have no knowledge of post production but do have access to an old copy of capture NX2 I was given. However, I am not particularly savvy with computers.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #131 on: January 05, 2017, 13:09:34 »
Hi, PKS, welcome to NG (NikonGear)!

D2H was my first digital SLR camera, too, and I decided to purchase one after having read Bjørn's review in his classic website.

I enjoyed using D2H very much.  It is a great camera whose responsiveness is still comparable to that of current higher-end DSLRs.  On the other hand, it is a lot simpler to operate "thanks to" the fact that it doesn't have either live view or video functions.  Hope you enjoy it!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #132 on: January 05, 2017, 13:14:57 »
This is my first digital experience so I guess I will mess with both. I have no knowledge of post production but do have access to an old copy of capture NX2 I was given. However, I am not particularly savvy with computers.

Capture NX-2 is a very nice but very complicated and very slow and instable program I did use for many years.

Currently Nikon offers a much nicer program called "Capture NX-D" that works much better for me, works also for newer cameras (should you one day decide to change to a fresh horse), is regularly updated and supports all Nikon DSLRs made to date, also your D2H.

You can download the program together with the very good browser program called "View NX-i" from the Nikon USA site here:

http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/261/VCNXSP.html

Welcome to our forum!!!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

PKS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #133 on: January 05, 2017, 22:27:59 »
Please let me know if I am no longer in the proper forum as I have further questions on this D2h and digital in general. The menus are a bit overwhelming….I have left everything alone for now. Adjusting only ISO, Shutter and Aperture as with my Nikkormat. What affect or impact on the image rendering happens when you change some of these in camera settings? Jpeg or Raw?

In addition, there seems to be an ERR after the first shutter actuation. After a bit of online research, the D2h is plagued with this issue. However, true to what has been reported, it goes away and stays away until you shut off the camera. I guess some owners have gone nearly a quarter of a million actuations with the issue.

Paul

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #134 on: January 05, 2017, 23:02:48 »
You might launch a separate thread on the D2H, perhaps? Put it in the Camera board.

Menus are mainly used to set up the camera, so once it is functional the way you need, there will be a minimum of diving into menus. I may add this is a tell-tale sign of a 'pro' camera.