Author Topic: Do you still use an "obsolete" camera?  (Read 118181 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Do you still use an "obsolete" camera?
« Reply #105 on: November 14, 2016, 22:07:08 »
The Df never was obsolete. It simply allowed or encouraged an alternative approach to photography. That never will be "obsolete".

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #106 on: November 14, 2016, 22:09:55 »
The Df never was obsolete. It simply allowed or encouraged an alternative approach to photography. That never will be "obsolete".

I think you got my point.
Airy Magnien

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #107 on: November 14, 2016, 22:23:56 »
Of course. The Df has been my main camera since November, 2013.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #108 on: November 14, 2016, 22:28:02 »
For me, May 2014. No GAS since then (concerning cameras, not lenses).
Airy Magnien

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #109 on: November 14, 2016, 22:31:16 »
Same here. Almost no new cameras*. Only a small handful of lenses acquired later, mostly old vintage stuff. I do have virtually completed my project of CPU-modifying all my old lenses though.

* only upgraded Fuji S3 to S5 as the battery longevity of the former became abysmal. Plus I needed the camera to have GPS. And added D500 to replace an ailing D300. That hardly counts?

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #110 on: November 14, 2016, 22:49:20 »
Take a new challenge. Want to chip my Summicron ? as it is, it is peeerfectly obsolete.
Airy Magnien

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #111 on: November 14, 2016, 23:01:56 »
If it can be done, Erik will do it.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #112 on: November 14, 2016, 23:03:17 »
:) there is not even a diaphragm lever.
Airy Magnien

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #113 on: November 14, 2016, 23:20:26 »
No problem. We have a strategy for that kind of lens. I'm using for example Leica and Olympus lenses on my camera, yet still able to enjoy the increased exposure accuracy by wide-open metering.

replica

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #114 on: December 26, 2016, 10:56:22 »
Well, I was very happy to find this thread (1st post @ nikongear, too), since i enjoy shooting obsolete cameras with old optics, even for work assignments. So i (kind of) contribute with 2 unprocessed, straight out-of-d2h shots with a recently acquired kiron 28mm/f2. Almost the same frame (handheld) with 2nd image focus on the spider web leftovers, for some primitive background blur evaluation. I don't post often, but I saw many great photos in this thread!! Keep up!

Abhijit

• NG Member
« Reply #115 on: December 27, 2016, 01:57:46 »
First - a belated Christmas and happy holidays to everyone!

Wanted to say: Many thanks to Fons for starting this thread, and to everyone who has contributed to this thread. The photos here are truly inspiring.

I consider myself a fledgling photographer with a lot to learn. However, it has been difficult to keep my head straight ever since I saw the reduced prices for the D500 / D810, or the inexpensive used D700's popping up all over, or the used D3S that seems within reach if only I can stretch the budget a little more compared to the D500, or why not a new D610 while I'm at it... you get the idea.

It is especially funny when I think that I never wanted to upgrade my camera in the first place. The best advice I would give to myself is that gear is secondary and if I can't produce good photos with what I currently have (a D7000 - is this an obsolete camera btw?), upgrading the camera would only help me produce bad photos at an elevated price. I have visited this thread several times to stay sane during these trying times. So once again, thanks everyone :-)

- Abhijit

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #116 on: December 27, 2016, 03:26:10 »
Regardless of whether one is using a newer or older camera, don't forget the benefits of custom white balancing and exposure calibrations.  In reasonable light, a well calibrated older camera with accurate colour balance and good exposure can usually do a better job than a newer machine whose exposure and colour balance are off.

Tools such as the Xrite Colorchecker Passport and the EXPOdisc help make the calibration processes easier and are not overly expensive.

(Sorry for the sermon - a lapsed scientist having his 0.02c worth.  ;D )
Hugh Gunn

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #117 on: December 27, 2016, 04:36:17 »
Welcome, Replica...and thank you for the reminder that interesting and worthwhile images can be made with "technically underperforming" equipment of years gone past.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Abhijit

• NG Member
« Reply #118 on: December 27, 2016, 05:14:56 »
Welcome, Replica...and thank you for the reminder that interesting and worthwhile images can be made with "technically underperforming" equipment of years gone past.

Second that!

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #119 on: December 27, 2016, 06:24:08 »
Welcome replica and Abhijit. On Christnas I was asked if my old equipment or my old photos get stale when I buy new equipmemt. My answer is:

There are still some pictures from the first films I took in 1983 with my Zenit 11 that was 150 German Marks including lens. I remember two melons on a marble windowsill in my grandparents house. I would still print that one big and hang it on my wall. My first exhibition was in 1989 iirc and I still love some of the pictures.

Equipment I sell when I do not use it any more. Currently I am just not motivated to do so. My D70 and D3 are still very capable cameras that profit a lot from good glass and good technique. Yet. With my D600 and D500 and X100T it is easier to produce the results I want.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/