Author Topic: Do you still use an "obsolete" camera?  (Read 117385 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Do you still use an "obsolete" camera?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2016, 07:47:21 »
I remember we have a member here who still loves and uses his D1....

I still got one of the D70s which I sometimes use when there is no other camera around....

The good thing about the unsupported old bodies is that you can get them used cheaply on Ebay....
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2016, 08:06:59 »
Fons: a digital camera is much more dependent on the availability of spare parts and electronics than the old cameras of say the '60s. A simple thing as lack of suitable batteries can stop its use even though the camera might be fully functional. If the software support for the camera ceases or what software one uses at present no longer can be installed under new operating systems, you are out no matter what state the camera is in (or you are limited to jpgs, not RAW).

That being said, having old film cameras serviced demands a supply of spare parts that only can be met by skilled repair techs and scavenged and cannibalised cameras. Old camera maintenance won't be cheap.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2016, 10:36:54 »
The oldest of my two cameras is from 2014 so no obsolete cameras here.

While my lenses span multiple decades I like to keep my cameras up to date ;D
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2016, 11:15:35 »
One out of many reasons people still use "obsolete" cameras.

(Fuji S5Pro, 35-135/3.5-4.5 Nikkor, both "obsolete")

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2016, 12:28:16 »
More obsolete, or perhaps obscure (?), images follow. This is a recent capture with the humble D40X (IR), and the even humbler 35-135/3.5-4.5 Zoom-Nikkor. The low regard of the latter is reflected in its low second-hand price and it is not uncommon to see it sell way below USD 100,- on eBay. One step down the regard ladder one finds the Zoom-Nikkor 43-86 mm f/3.5, widely reputed to be a 'dog'. Well, such a reputation certainly helps keeping the prices down. I don't mind at all.

First image: Office building facade, (D40X, 35-135/3.5-4.5 Nikkor)

Second image: At the doctor's surgery, (D40X, 43-86/3.5 Nikkor)

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2016, 12:35:29 »
Thank you Bjørn , i just bought a D3 with less than 8k clicks on in it updated the firmware, cleaned the sensor, got a spare battery, a 2nd hand  L-bracket, did i do wise?

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2016, 12:42:51 »
Very much so. The D3 was, and still is, a rugged work horse. Merely eight K clicks on the clock should provide you with a pro camera for years to come.

I replaced my D3 units with a factory in-box  D3S as I got a phenomenal deal that actually provided the new camera for free by selling off the other D3. I did this because it proved futile to modify the D3 for UV and multispectral photography. I got a D600 instead for UV work and still had money left.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2016, 13:23:00 »
I keep my D3 although she is at 124.758 Klicks with the attached shot.

She is hopelessly outdated. The D600 beats her IQ-wise, the D500 in AF, HiISO, WB and fps. But I still need these two cameras, none is available that combines the D500 & D600 qualities yet.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2016, 13:53:47 »
Thank you Bjørn , i just bought a D3 with less than 8k clicks on in it updated the firmware, cleaned the sensor, got a spare battery, a 2nd hand  L-bracket, did i do wise?

Fons, if the form factor is no problem then the D3 is still one of the nicest Nikon cameras money can buy. There are a few differences which should become obvious as soon as you start processing files from the camera.

I won't spoil too much, but to me the D3 files have a color quality and clarity that I have not yet seen in NEF files from other cameras.

As for durability, mine now developed a first bug after some 85k clicks
Buddy

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2016, 13:57:49 »
Question: Are there any (unmodified) D200 shooters here?

I'm asking because I always found the low ISO performance of the D200 CCD to be amazing. Much better then the D300 CMOS and at least different from the D3 output.
Buddy

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2016, 14:11:02 »
My youngest Nikon, the D800e, is already four years old and can already be called outdated  :-[

I still use all the FX Nikons over here (D700, D800e, D3s) on a regular basis. There are shiny new D5's, D500's and D810's making eyes at me in the vitrines at the local Nikon dealer over here, until now I have been able to resist them.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2016, 14:22:44 »
There is a huge amount of current Leica M9 shooters out there, yes CCD sensor ;)
My D200 with IR internal filter is a workhorse too
Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2016, 14:39:28 »
All my D200 cameras have been modified one way or other. I think there have at least been five different units over the years. Some have been sold off, some given away. I have just two left.

The D200 had an excellent performance at low ISO, true. This is a winter scene at nightfall, shot with the D200 and the 300 mm f/2.8 AFS.  From my initial review shooting with the D200.

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2016, 16:30:54 »
I have always regretted selling the D200. Amazing color in those obsolete icicles :D
Buddy

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2016, 16:34:12 »
I have always regretted selling the D200. Amazing color in those obsolete icicles :D

I'm just combining the blue sky and the vestiges of lingering warm colours from the sunset. The icicles act as cylinder lenses and bring these colours together.