Author Topic: Do you still use an "obsolete" camera?  (Read 47049 times)

Jan-Petter Midtgård

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Do you still use an "obsolete" camera?
« Reply #285 on: January 07, 2019, 10:14:14 »
At the moment I have only my old D300S, after my D810 had a fatal accident involving seawater. The insurance money will go towards a D850 in the near future.

Hugh_3170

• NG Member
  • Melbourne, Australia (at the moment)
« Reply #286 on: January 07, 2019, 12:05:01 »
Maybe a D700 or a D800/D800E would be a good & economical place to start.

This thread is fun to look through!  I really enjoyed the quote about a camera's performance not worsening due to the release of a newer model. 

I had two cameras die this fall: a D70 and a Panasonic Lumix TZ5.  I replaced the D70 with a D750.  After reading through this thread, I just replaced the little Lumix with...     a D200.   ;D

I know it's a magnitude larger and heavier but I hope its rugged build will make it a good "bang around" camera that i'll be more apt to take out in the boat, etc.  And at $100 USD, it was cheaper than a new point-and-shoot.  I thought about how happy I had been with my D70 (my reluctant and tentative entry into digital) and decided that I could certainly be happy with images from a D200.

Long live the obsolete camera! (My "obsolete" F2S, F3HP and F4s are ready to try some new Ektachrome.)  If my purchase experience is good with the D200, I'm thinking that I'll likely start looking for the next obsolete bargain to add to the camera shelf.

Stay sharp,
Bob
Hugh Gunn

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #287 on: January 07, 2019, 12:26:46 »
I really enjoyed the quote about a camera's performance not worsening due to the release of a newer model.

That's a fair point, especially when considering lenses but equally for those who can afford the newer cameras and can make good use of the features they bring, it makes sense for them to upgrade.  Market forces dictate  the price point of their 'discarded' cameras.  In practice they can go for a song, enabling many, like myself to step further up the ladder and enjoy better sensors and improved features.

My D200's can still take superb images, my D3 is wonderful but I just acquired a D800 which is in a different league, an amazing camera for a very good price, they are out there, just need to get lucky occasionally, or scour the internet.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK