Author Topic: A D500 owner accuses Nikon of false advertisement of its Wifi function  (Read 17369 times)

bjornthun

Another product to look into is the CamRanger ( www.camranger.com ) I used that for remote control with liveview, when I had Nikon. It doesn't support the D500/D5 yet, but that can only be a matter of time. The CamRanger app for iPad is mature and that product has been around for several years now. They support most Canon and Nikon DSLRs.

The Sony Playmemories app works, but is primitive compared to the CamRanger app.

I think that WT-6a/7 are much more expensive than the CamRanger. The CamRanger is connected to the USB port on the camera via a cable and sets up a WiFi network.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Another product to look into is the CamRanger ( www.camranger.com )

Thank you for the suggestion. It seems like a good solution because the same unit supports a range of cameras and the software seems to have a lot of useful functionality. The cost is reasonable as well.

bjornthun

You're welcome.  :)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
WT-6A (for the D5) doesn't seem to be ready for prime time either, according to a few early user reviews:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1214158-REG/nikon_27161_wt_6_wireless_transmitter_set.html

Arguably it can be user error also, but if Nikon is unable to help then the product may have been brought to market prematurely.

According to Nikon website (again), you need to install Wireless Transmitter Utility in addition to Camera Control Pro2 to make WT-6a work properly, which may be another reason for the confusion.  And the fact that Nikon support didn't know how to make it work is definitely another bummer.

They should rename WT series transmitters to WTF series.  :D
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
+1  -  Brilliant Mate  -  I like!

They should rename WT series transmitters to WTF series.  :D
Hugh Gunn

bjornthun

:D  :D  :D

bjornthun

Back to something useful again.

http://dslrdashboard.info

This app can control Canon and Nikon DSLRs as well as mirrorless Sony cameras (Nex, A6000, A7 series)

This is a much more advanced app than the rather primitive Sony Playmemories.

A Nikon or Canon DSLR can also be attached via USB to a TP-link 3040 (if memory serves, and a special firmware needs to be installed on the router) router and be remote controlled via wireless from e.g. an iOS or Android tablet/phone using DSLR dashboard.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
Yes, or a laptop PC.

IIRC, Ann Shelbourne (over on the FZ site) used to drive her Nikon D3Ss in the way you describe, when she was doing studio work.

Back to something useful again.

http://dslrdashboard.info

This app can control Canon and Nikon DSLRs as well as mirrorless Sony cameras (Nex, A6000, A7 series)

This is a much more advanced app than the rather primitive Sony Playmemories.

A Nikon or Canon DSLR can also be attached via USB to a TP-link 3040 (if memory serves, and a special firmware needs to be installed on the router) router and be remote controlled via wireless from e.g. an iOS or Android tablet/phone using DSLR dashboard.
Hugh Gunn

Harald

• NG Member
    • Flickr
Hi,

as I understand: You have to use Bluetooth to enable WiFi. If you want to use third party Apps you have to buy the WT 7!

Harald
Some pictures on FLICKR

bjornthun

Hi,

as I understand: You have to use Bluetooth to enable WiFi. If you want to use third party Apps you have to buy the WT 7!

Harald
CamRanger is an app + WiFi hardware that connects to the camera via a USB cable. CamRanger is much cheaper than the WT-x units from Nikon and the app much better and more mature. You can then control your camera with liveview on an iOS/Android tablet in the field.

With DSLRDashboard on a wifi tablet you will need to find a suitable WiFi hardware yourself, e.g. battery powered router with a USB port and install custom firmware and software on it yourself, to use it with Nikon. Sony mirrorless cameras have an onboard WiFi with an openly documented interface (API).

stenrasmussen

Snapbridge and new firmware for the D500 is available for download now.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
I just signed up for notification from Nikon when Snapbridge is available for iPhone and iPad devices, i.e. it's not available now.

From reading the Nikon trash concerning this D500 built in feature it appears to me it's intended for social media use and never intended for professional or like use. That is it's a cool toy.

I haven't spent much time researching this so I could be wrong here but that's the impression I have at the moment. Also I don't own a D500.

People frequently hate manuals but it's a good thing to research a purchase by reviewing the manual. At first Nikon USA would only allow one to download a manual for a camera they owned. I called and emailed explaining that I used manuals to research a purchase. A few weeks later they allowed downloading available manuals despite not being a registered owner of the product. These manuals do not allow copy and past so if you want to quote a few sentences you have to type them out. If memory service me Nikon UK didn't mess with the customer by requiring a registered product.

I got burned on a Nikon F100 purchase as it doesn't allow release priority in AF-S mode and that mode was required for AF assist from an SB-24 and SB-800. Anyway...

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
My Snapbridge Experience is that my phone is too old to make proper use of the APP, so I switch of the feature.

If I want pictures fast I just connect my phone to the camera via a 3 Euro cable (USB3 mini to USB A micro) and download them via "gallery APP" or "ES file explorer"
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

bjornthun

Snapbridge for iOS is available for download now. Note that it's marked as an iPhone app in app store, so it won't show if you search for "iPad only". Still it will run on an iPad.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
It is not a "toy". It may not work optimally as of yet, but fast and easy electronic transmission of images from dedicated cameras through the internet is hugely important and Snapbridge can do it more fluidly and transmits images even when the camera is off and you don't have to waste time reconnecting the camera and phone every time you want to use it.

Online transmission of images is a part of many professionals' everyday work. This is not just photography professionals but various fields where photographs are used as technical records etc. I can easily list a
dozen fields where the mobile phone is not ideal as a camera but fast transmission of screen size small jpgs from a proper camera is useful and  crucial to efficiency and minimizing delays. I would imagine many non-PJ professional photographers will edit their work on a proper computer but for PJ, medical, forensic, law enforcement, engineering, science, etc. any situation where a record shot is needed and is to be sent immediately, I imagine Snapbridge is a useful step forward. It may be a prototype but nevertheless it is an important tool. Of course it has been primarily developed because normal people no longer buy dedicated cameras and so without fluid electronic transmission the company's future is bleak.