Author Topic: A D500 owner accuses Nikon of false advertisement of its Wifi function  (Read 17398 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Well, the Wifi implementation of Nikon cameras is generally disappointing, but this owner is rather upset than disappointed...

http://www.dpreview.com/?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=logo&utm_medium=image&ref=logo
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

bjornthun

This is the direct link to the article on Dpreview: http://www.dpreview.com/news/2150261239/d500-owner-formally-accuses-nikon-of-false-advertising

(I suppose that is the one you intended to post, Akira. )

The problem seems to be that iOS might not allow simultaneous use of WiFi and BT by the same app, if we are to believe nikonrumors. This could in a worst case scenario mean that there won't be a Snapbridge app for iOS anytime soon, if at all. This may in turn have implications for the DL range of compact cameras as well as an upcoming D3500. Hopefully Nikon will be able to resolve this.

The reason for combining BT and WiFi communication, is to save energy and thus battery power, so the idea is sound enough.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Bjørn, yes, your are right!  Thanks for the correction.

The idea of combining bluetooth and wifi to spare the batterie power would be nice as it is, but this kind of unique use of the open format should cause the confusion and the compatibility issue.  I think it is a bad idea with goodwill.

bjornthun

I agree.

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
  • Renegade Street Photographer
The person with the complaint is just looking for a payday.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
it is kind of misleading in a way. the most misleading part is with the speedlights. :o :o :o
you will need that wifi dongle to communicate  ::)

they really should make this super clear so we dont have to read the fine print

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
If the D750 and D7200 worked with iOS devices a reasonable person would expect the D500 would also. I hope Nikon can resolve this soon.

I'm not a fan of things hanging off a camera. The less the better. Maybe add GPS and WiFi to a power booster?

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
Have to agree with the guy.  I doubt he is expecting a payday.  It'd be more cost effective for Nikon to pay someone to fix the issue.  I wish someone would put some fire under Nikon's ass to make their WMU app something other than garbage.
-Tristin

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
Interesting.  So far the best WiFi application I've come across in a camera is the implementation by Olympus EM1.  My wife and son use that seamlessly with their Samsungs for transferring images and controlling the camera.  My wife will often puts the camera on mini tripods with LEDs on other mini tripods for product shoots.   Sony, through the Play Memories mobile App is not any better than WMU on the D750.  Since I do not really use the feature , I have not paid much attention.  What is obvious is the battery drain  >:( .

That said, I attended a Company launch event last month.  The young, paid photographer was using his D750, 50 1.4D to cover the event for a local Newspaper.  We were chatting about the D750 and transferring the images to his paper.  He was lightning fast at moving the images to his phone and the moving the image to the Paper's Instagram.  For example purposes he did not try and do any in camera editing.  He then used his network's 4G to send the image.   Unfortunately, as I was about to ask him questions, the VVIPs started arriving .

It appears Nikon did not sort out the Apple arrangement prior to launching Snapbridge and of course, Apple sues every one  ;) .
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
Fuji's implementation is the best thing that I have tried on the other hand. never tried olympus' so i may have a crack at it this weekend :o :o :o

somebody should spank an engineer or two at Nikon, maybe even the bas"#'(&s at marketing

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
Good luck to "Andreas V" in respect of his action against Nikon.

I have an Olympus E-M1, and can confirm that its WiFi function does work as advertised with both my ancient iPhone 4S and my new Android phones.  The GPS coordinate merging from phone to camera is very straightforward, and the use of the phone as a cordless release works well..

In respect of spanking and engineer or two at Nikon, maybe removing certain parts of their anatomy with a rusty razor blade might get the message across more forcibly (on the other hand I don't want to be listening to singing camera bodies either, so maybe my idea is not so good after all!  ;D ;D ;D).  Certainly the marketing men at Sendai need to be brought into line.  Seems as if they have not fully learnt all of the lessons from their recent D600 debacles.

Fuji's implementation is the best thing that I have tried on the other hand. never tried olympus' so i may have a crack at it this weekend :o :o :o

somebody should spank an engineer or two at Nikon, maybe even the bas"#'(&s at marketing
Hugh Gunn

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
It appears Nikon did not sort out the Apple arrangement prior to launching Snapbridge and of course, Apple sues every one  ;) .

The WMU app cannot even be hit in the App Store when you try to search it.   :o :o :o

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Does Camera Control Pro work wirelessly with the D500 without the (rather large) accessory wifi module?

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Does Camera Control Pro work wirelessly with the D500 without the (rather large) accessory wifi module?

According to Nikon website, the dedicated transmitter WT-7 is necessary to connect the camera with the computer via wifi using Camera Control Pro2.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
According to Nikon website, the dedicated transmitter WT-7 is necessary to connect the camera with the computer via wifi using Camera Control Pro2.

Thanks.

I think this is one issue also with Nikon wireless: there are many different modules  (+ some built in) and it's just a chaos in terms of functionality and camera compatibility vs. device. What's more, the wifi modules for the high-end (professional) cameras are quite expensive (and may or may not work in other models in the future).

WT-6A (for the D5) doesn't seem to be ready for prime time either, according to a few early user reviews:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1214158-REG/nikon_27161_wt_6_wireless_transmitter_set.html

Arguably it can be user error also, but if Nikon is unable to help then the product may have been brought to market prematurely.