Author Topic: 1000mm f4.5 lens anyone?  (Read 3591 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
1000mm f4.5 lens anyone?
« on: June 16, 2016, 21:04:16 »
Alas, it is for Canon EOS mount, but some folks should be able to modify it to an F mount lnes...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2530167073/rare-1964-nasa-1000mm-f-4-5-super-telephoto-lens-to-be-auctioned-this-fall
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: 1000mm f4.5 lens anyone?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 21:39:40 »
No problem modifying it  - there is plenty of material to cut into :D

Whether it is worth the efforts is another matter. A vintage long lens from early '60s is likely to have massive amounts of chromatic aberration besides quite low contrast and poor resolving power.

The hilarious aspect is seeing such a monster dreadnought (32 kg) swaying atop a geared-head tripod with the centre column extended ...

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 21:54:03 »
I smell a new project for Dr. Lens. ;D

At Photokina??
Chris Dees

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 21:56:11 »
The depicted support should only be for the display.  :)

I suspect that the lens was used to shoot the launch of the rocket from the great distance and to follow the ascending rocket as far as possible.

Even if it would be suffer from excessive chromatic aberration, it could be used for UV, assuming that it is single-coated.

I smell a new project for Dr. Lens. ;D

Yup, he would want to cover from 6mm to 1000mm!

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 22:00:38 »
I wonder how it would compare with a modern good level astronomic refractor?
https://www.optcorp.com/tc-180800-180mm-f-7-apo-fluorite-refractor-telescope.html
This one is not even the most outrageously priced.
I don't even want to know the price of this one: http://www.takahashi-europe.com/en/FET-300.php

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
  • Renegade Street Photographer
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 22:33:36 »
It wold make more sense to buy a Canon body to go with it than do the work to fit it to a Nikon mount.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 22:38:22 »
I wonder how it would compare with a modern good level astronomic refractor?
https://www.optcorp.com/tc-180800-180mm-f-7-apo-fluorite-refractor-telescope.html
This one is not even the most outrageously priced.
I don't even want to know the price of this one: http://www.takahashi-europe.com/en/FET-300.php

So far as the possible asking price is concerned, the 1000/4.5 would be more astronomical than these dedicated telescopes.

According to the catalog of Takahashi, FET-200/300 are intended for "public institutions".  So you don't need to worry about purchasing one for yourself (just for your peace of mind).  ;)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 22:48:32 »
It wold make more sense to buy a Canon body to go with it than do the work to fit it to a Nikon mount.

Erik might modify the lens at reasonable price, but the shipping of this monster would cost more than his work.   :o

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 08:06:19 »
According to the catalog of Takahashi, FET-200/300 are intended for "public institutions".  So you don't need to worry about purchasing one for yourself (just for your peace of mind).  ;)

what a relief!

I still wonder how instruments designed for astronomy would perform for general photography. I am not considering crappy reflectors but well corrected instruments. Of course everything is upside down but this is manageable!

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 12:31:45 »
what a relief!

I still wonder how instruments designed for astronomy would perform for general photography. I am not considering crappy reflectors but well corrected instruments. Of course everything is upside down but this is manageable!

In recent years, some manufacturers (Takahashi, Borg, Vixen etc.) develop their astronomical telescopes with the photographers in mind and offer attachments like field flatners and camera mounts.  Borg is one of the more enthusiastic about appealing to the photographers, especially the birders:

http://www.tomytec.co.jp/borg/

(Unfortunately the texts are in Japanese, but you should know what I mean by the images on the top page.)

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 04:54:35 »
No problem modifying it  - there is plenty of material to cut into :D

Whether it is worth the efforts is another matter. A vintage long lens from early '60s is likely to have massive amounts of chromatic aberration besides quite low contrast and poor resolving power.

The hilarious aspect is seeing such a monster dreadnought (32 kg) swaying atop a geared-head tripod with the centre column extended ...

I think that tripod is a Samson Quickset tripod, which, while low in sophistication, is  big, maybe bigger than it looks, and in some configurations at least quite sturdy.  It looks as if the head shown is the very basic pan tilt one, which is not geared, but bolted.

I actually have one of these, minus the head, but with some added column accessories left over from some video use, I think. It's very big and very stable,  with large diameter braced legs, and also very inconvenient.  I use mine with a custom made adapter in place of the head, for a surveying transit, which works nicely and is less finicky to set up than the usual surveying tripods.  I got it at a high school's annual tag sale, for five bucks, by the way.  I'm not recommending it for ordinary photographic use, but it might not be as bad a choice as it looks at first.