Author Topic: NEEDED - Nikkor lens coupling prongs and screws - non-AI, AI, etc.  (Read 2790 times)

FlyingO

• Give me grain. Glorious grain.
  • NG Member
  • Film forever
Hello, I have been working on a few old manual focus Nikkor lenses, some that were missing their coupling prongs, and in reassembly of some of the lenses I find myself in need of the coupling prongs and the screws that mount those prongs, for all versions - Non-AI, AI and other type Nikkor lenses. I'm trying to find a source for such repair parts. Trying to contact Nikon directly has proven to be  unproductive. Even though their F model and subsequent deviations are the foundation of that company and directly responsible for Nikon being around today, Nikon USA does not seem to be interested in helping someone out who is trying to keep their magnificent products alive and shooting. Unless I was a dealer that could sell a few hundred units of their latest digital creations.

If anyone has a source for camera repair parts which might include these screws and prongs, I will be eternally grateful to you if you could share that information with me! Thank you in advance for any help you might be able to provide. - "FlyingO" ~~O~~
I am.. therefor I was.
What I am not is what I could have been... back then.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Do you require these items in large numbers? I could probably get you a few.

In fact, if you have the factory part number(s), I can easily order these items for you from Nikon.

Do notice spare parts are very expensive bought separately. Would one ever contemplate (re-)building a complete camera just from spare parts, the total cost would likely be 10 to 100 times that of the original price.

Bjørn J

• NG Member
  • North of the Arctic Circle
Do you mean the "rabbit ears"? There are some on ebay, like these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIKON-COUPLING-PRONG-BUNNY-EARS-EXCELLENT-/131821532625?hash=item1eb12cf5d1:g:K7cAAOSwr7ZW6EB-
The seller has 7 available.
Bjørn Jørgensen

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
That's for an AIS lens. Not very cheap, but as stated before, such parts usually are expensive purchased separately.

Bjørn J

• NG Member
  • North of the Arctic Circle
That's for an AIS lens.

Yes, because of the holes in the ears. Will the prong and screws fit older lenses?
Am I right that the holes are for getting more light to the small aperture numbers on the back of the lens?
Bjørn Jørgensen

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
The answer is yes to both questions. I think Nikon at the time coined the phrase ADR ('aperture direct read-out').

Do note the screws go with the dedicated prong ('rabbit ears'). The old screws are too long for the new prongs thus mixing up the screws could lead to a jammed aperture ring.