Author Topic: NG Event : Leuven? September 2016?  (Read 18335 times)

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
Re: NG Event : Leuven? September 2016?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2016, 18:35:26 »
I've never been to Leuven, so count me in. :)
Chris Dees

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2016, 22:21:10 »
September 4th is feasible. It coincides, I think, with the "braderie" (jumble sales) in Lille, but we tend to avoid it now.
Airy Magnien

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2016, 00:40:04 »
Airy. The Organ thread would profit tremendously from that. I hope Joost will put in a good word for us at the local musicians...
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Joost Bollens

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2016, 11:14:46 »
I learned in the meantime that there are no less than 60 organs in Leuven! I will try to visit the most important in the coming weeks, in order to gather some information about accessibiility and opening hours, and of course to make some pics.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2016, 11:16:39 »
That is a very large number of Organs ;)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2016, 14:29:07 »
Joost. Thank you so much. In Airy we have a master of organ knowledge an appreciation.

If Airy comes and tells us about the instruments this would be one very interesting highlight of the day.

I do not think more than two organs per day are suitable as there are so many other things to see in Leuwen.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Martine Henry

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Martine Henry - Photographe de l'instant
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2016, 19:56:14 »
I've been selected again to participate to the Accessible Art Fair in brussels in september, so for me it depends of the choice of the date. Otherwise I'm ok.
Martine

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2016, 23:05:51 »
If Airy comes and tells us about the instruments this would be one very interesting highlight of the day.
I do not think more than two organs per day are suitable as there are so many other things to see in Leuwen.

Agreed, I'll see what info (and possibly access) I can get. But two is indeed the maximum, if we want to appreciate the other things, not to forget the people.
By the way, a good opportunity for comparing against-the-light shooting merits of our lenses. Zeiss 35/2 awaits challenger.
Airy Magnien

Joost Bollens

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2016, 23:02:47 »
Leuven is not too big and everything is within walking distance. Yet there is a lot to see, and having to walk from the railway station to the other side of town, and then again to another side, and back to the centre, etc., is manageable, but certainly needs some planning. Not necessarily the landscape photographers' kind of planning (consulting the "photographers ephemeris" on the web in order to find the best date and hour does not make much sense, as the date has already been picked...), but a planning in the sense that if I want to see A, B, C and D, then it makes sense to first combine A and D, as these are in neighbouring quarters close to the point of departure, and then proceed to C, and eventually visit B which is on the way back;

In the coming weeks I will post some photos of sites in Leuven, always combined with an area indication. At a given point in time, I will make a map with a representation of these areas. This should allow everybody to make a personal plan! I do not doubt that in the end we will also find some common denominator, as there are sights everybody wants to see (or should be willing to see?), but this approach at least leaves room for particular idiosyncrasies.  It might e.g.  just be that not everyone is into organs...

If my photos not only incite you to say "I can do better", but also spur you to say "I want to do better", my mission is accomplished.

Here a picture of fons sapientiae (the "source of wisdom"), aka "Fonske", with the townhall and the Sint-Pieterskerk in the background. Zone A: Grote Markt.

Thomas G

• NG Supporter
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2016, 23:16:33 »
Thanks, Joost. Very much appreciated.
-/-/-

Joost Bollens

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2016, 23:24:59 »
(1) This  bug can be found in zone B, Ladeuzeplein.

(2) Although the bug  is seated on top of a 10 meter high pole, it might be difficult to locate, as september is "kermis "-time, a fair with quite high (and loud & colourful) attractions

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2016, 02:52:48 »
Your photos tell me: I want to go.there.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2016, 11:12:50 »
Joost, thank you so much for the additional information!
I am sure I have a photo of that bug somewhere, just takes time locating it  ::)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Joost Bollens

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2016, 20:59:44 »
(3) the fancy roofs above the railway station, in a picture showing the (apparent) compression effect of a longer tele

(4) a new hotel at the other side of the raiway tracks (IR)

Both in zone C, the station neighbourhood

Nicole

• NG Member
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2016, 23:16:18 »
Hello,
September 4th is fine for me, if this is the chosen date.

Nicole Will