Author Topic: Df (and other) rubber grip  (Read 12149 times)

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Df (and other) rubber grip
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2016, 20:36:17 »
Used some superglue from the hardware store to stick it back on
The rubber piece were the thumb rest in my d700 had the same problem. Two drops of superglue spread near the fringe top and bottom did the trick.
 D700+grip+big battery is heavy, plus I also shoit mostly in hot humid environments. Df should be fine

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2016, 02:32:58 »
best is to mail Nikon and ask them to mail you the rubber part.  :o :o :o

double sided tape can work but these things usually expand so it kinda looks sloppy after you taped it back. if its a flat part, look for tolex

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2016, 14:02:23 »
Not sure how related this is, but I use a contact adhesive to glue leatherette back on my Nikon F and F2's. I think my D3 rubber grip would also benefit from that as it is also becoming loose.
Buddy

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2016, 17:21:30 »
Not sure how related this is, but I use a contact adhesive to glue leatherette back on my Nikon F and F2's. I think my D3 rubber grip would also benefit from that as it is also becoming loose.
Did the same on my D800, the glue is intended to fix shoes, a contact adhesive as well
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2016, 18:12:07 »
are you guys talking about rubber cement? :o :o :o

be sure to use it properly. and no, i do not mean sniffing it as a past time.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2016, 20:12:14 »
"Rubber cement" is a form of contact cement.  The real super-strength stuff (with super aromatic sweet deadly fumes to match) is the stuff used in shoe repair.  The brand to get in the USA is called 'Barge Cement'. Many hardware stores and outdoor shops carry it in small tubes.
It is placed thinly and evenly on both surfaces, allowed to [apparently]dry, then the two surfaces are mated.  God help you if you put the two surfaces together wrong, because it doesn't want to let go.  Heat is the enemy of Barge Cement...application of heat from a heat gun or hair dryer may loosen it enough to pull apart.  The operative word here is 'may.'
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2016, 01:11:55 »
Yes! That is the thing! It can give you a cheap high  :o :o :o
Its called rubber cement where I came from, it is used as an umbrella term for all things similar.
I cannot use it here because I have a baby. Japaneses style houses do not have real walls so fumes circulate.
Nikon uses that till the ais era.

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2016, 10:46:43 »
I just gave my DF for the second time, for a grip exchange. This time it just took one hour at the local Parisian nikon Pro shop, Boulevard Beaumarchais. They just didn't have the little round part for the front wheel that is now on command.

Like Airy, most people living in the cities then Paris have to send their cameras to the Nikon repair shop in the suburbs of Paris, while using this NPS shop in Paris allows for a shorter time, as they have twice a day a delivery from one to the other.
For my D3x, I had a weird incident ( an AF lens short circuiting the camera), they opened the camera three times in a week, meaning three deliveries from the shop to the repair facility and back. All that on warranty happily...
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2016, 09:34:24 »
In lack of anything better, I am trying to re-glue using neoprene contact glue (Pattex) with low solvent content (gel form) to avoid damaging the rubber. Of course I scraped the former glue off the camera body and grip. Problem is, the former glue did not adhere at all to the rubber, while it took some time to scrape it off the camera body. The new glue has exactly the same problem: it does not seem to stick to the rubber; they behave like oil and water. Not sure I'll get anything usable once dry (polymerized)...
Airy Magnien

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2016, 21:27:49 »
Have you tried PLIOBOND the adhesive that was used on Nikons up to the F3, FM2n, FE2 and probably the FM3a?

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2016, 16:46:04 »
... given what's available in the remote part of the planet where I live, I finally bought Loctite superglue-3, special plastic bonding edition (comes in two components: activator and glue).

I first scraped the neoprene "skin" from my former glueing attempt; fortunately id did not adhere at all to the rubber, so that part was easily cleaned.
Then I had to cut the rubber back by about 1mm on two edges, just to get a nice fit (hey, that's my forst weekend without work assignments, I got plenty of time).

The superglue seems to work well, and above all did not destroy the rubber. Let us see if it withstands a few shooting sessions but so far, so good. Monday-Wednesday in Istanbul for work, but I'll sure get opportunities. Zeiss 25/2, 50/2 (Milvus) and Nikkor 105/2.5, plus the Voigtländer 40/2 for crowded places (yes, size IS sometimes an issue).
Airy Magnien

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2016, 18:05:01 »
Airy - travel well and safely to Turkey.

Also would be keen to know how the repaired grip goes...

JJ

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2016, 22:18:09 »
So far, very well - sticks perfectly, no movement. But let us see the evolution.

Concerning Turkey, thanks for sharing concern, but there is no nervousness from my side. I work in Paris, commute daily with RER B and C lines where bombings took place, visit boulevard Beaumarchais because of the many photo outlets, used Brussels airport shortly after the bombing, went to Tokyo one month after Fukushima blew up (at a time where the Lille orchestra refused to get there), etc.

I have colleagues who lost friends or relatives in Moscow airport (bombing), Brussels metro (ditto), Paris Bataclan (shootout).

I may call myself lucky, but honestly, the majority is lucky here, no comparison with Bagdad or Mossoul. My grandparents experienced two real wars (not to mention independence wars in Vietnam and Algeria) ; I only have to deal with that rampant one. Again, no comparison.

My travelling to Instanbul will not significantly change the odds of falling victim to whatever. I go there to meet good colleagues from Turkish railways, reason enough to share a bit of their daily living and working conditions. When I went to Tokyo after Fukushima, staying about one week, the equation was clear :  why should I avoid a one week stay when thirty million people, for all sorts of reasons, will stay there for their entire lives ? same with the earthquake etc. risks. Sure these are serious threats (much more so than the bombings, I guess), but again, why should I refuse to visit people and turn down an invitation on the grounds of irrational fears when themselves are hundreds of times more exposed ? What if my Turkish colleagues would say "nah, we're not coming to Paris, too dangerous a city, and we don't trust the police by the way"? I'd find that very strange, so I guess I'd hurt some feelings if I chickened out.

Airy Magnien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2016, 22:27:00 »
Airy, while it has been more than just the matter of the rubber grip, I strongly wish for your (or anyone's) safety trip.  That said, (and I'm more concerned than you, but) I would act the same way as you anyway.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2016, 22:33:01 »
There is no such thing as a local Nikon repair facility in Lille. There are only 1.5 million inhabitants here in the far North (of France, that is to say), so why bother.
Not even sensor cleaning is possible without giving up the camera. French service.

I hear you just had a major football event in Lille and other places. All Nikon and Canon Service people setting up shop in every of these place while the games are running....
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/