Author Topic: Nikon Rumors: Nikon D5 is coming  (Read 28664 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Nikon Rumors: Nikon D5 is coming
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2015, 00:25:39 »
'Fight' and 'discussion' are different concepts, Frank.

The D2X had, for its time, a really nice viewfinder. The Df is better. Can these finders be further improved? without doubt, but there is no screen that will function equally well for manual focusing as it will for AF. So interchangeable screens are absolutely required as a starting point., Interchangeable finders would be even better.

Bjørn J

• NG Member
  • North of the Arctic Circle
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2015, 00:36:41 »
Interchangeable finders is a very good idea, and it can be useful when you don't want to get attention. I travelled in the Soviet Union a long time ago, and in some situations it was not a good idea to be seen taking photos. So I removed the finder of my F3, and let the camera hang on my chest, I could easily see on the screen what I was aiming the camera at. Nobody noticed that I was taking photos.
Bjørn Jørgensen

Jethro Sang

• NG Member
  • No camera, yet
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2015, 05:05:46 »
Well, Japanese are very conservative, despite being normally associated with high-tech. Their preferred communication is still via fax and papers are still their medium of the choice. Nikon's design has been conservative for 3 digital generations(reference to professional grade), where improvements are iterated step by step. Perhaps their product cycle is only revised every 10 years or so?
Jetty

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2015, 14:01:19 »
If we see a EVF similar or even better than the Leica Q there are hopes If it is done as a supplement to an OVF - hopefully similar to the Df concept.

I have shot a lot with fast lenses and wide angle lenses on D1, D2Xs, D3 and continue to do so on the D3X, sorry I fail to see the problem with that, you guys obviously have another experience, just saying I managed to get the job done...
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2015, 14:07:30 »
Sorry, but this is very far from what I see in communication with companies in Japan.
Obviously the product cycle is not ten years. Just see the on-line predictions where you can clearly see at what rate development happens, the D series is longer than the smaller DX series but that is the way the market drives it...
Erik Lund

Bjørn J

• NG Member
  • North of the Arctic Circle
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2015, 14:48:19 »
The D5 will be mainly targeted to sports- action- and press photographers, and I think they are a bit conervative, they want a tool that works like the tools they have, only a bit better :) . I don't think Nikon will experiment with EVF or other radical changes with their top professional camera. They will probably come with EVF or hybrid finders in a lower end camera first, maybe even a DX body.
I think the D5 will be built on the trusted D4s, only a bit better in many ways. A few more pixels, maybe new AF, faster fps and processing, and of course 4k video.
Bjørn Jørgensen

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2015, 15:58:55 »
The Leica Q has a 3.7 MP finder. How good is it?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2015, 18:46:27 »
As I wrote in this thread:
http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=511.0
I was impressed :)
Erik Lund