Author Topic: AF-S 300mm f/4.0 PF field experience  (Read 13199 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: AF-S 300mm f/4.0 PF field experience
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2016, 05:34:34 »
Akira: I can only talk from my experience with the D500 and D600. There is no behaviour as descriped by you in my lens in neither VR-position (off, normal, sport). Most of the time I use the lens in "sport" mode.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2016, 06:49:24 »
Akira: I can only talk from my experience with the D500 and D600. There is no behaviour as descriped by you in my lens in neither VR-position (off, normal, sport). Most of the time I use the lens in "sport" mode.

Actually I thought it was strange that a fairly expensive lens with such an unusable feature had been allowed to hit the market.  The VR of the particular sample was by far less usable than that of the lowly 70-300/4.5-5.6VR zoom that I tried briefly.  Thanks again for the confirmation.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2016, 18:15:32 »
  Whenever I pressed the shutter to release, the image jumped away from the framing I had liked.  I know that the VR element jumps back to the neutral position to maximize its effect at the moment of the image taking.  But it means that the precise framing is impossible when the rig is handheld.  It is fine for the moving subject because you can trim the image for the framing you like, but not really good for the landscapes.  Yes, I admit my unstable handhold technique, but I figured it is better to switch VR off for landscapes, even shot handheld.

Yeah, that is what this lens (and some others with the choice of normal and sport modes of VR; if I recall correctly, the 200-500 is one of them) do in NORMAL mode. Try SPORT mode and this jumping of the framing should be greatly reduced. In fact I find SPORT mode very useful and well implemented, whereas in these lenses the NORMAL mode is perhaps more effective in reducing vibration but it's hard to take a sequence of shots with controlled framing.

This behaviour is reported also by Brad Hill in his tests of these lenses.

For landscapes I highly recommend a tripod and no VR whatsoever.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2016, 18:37:47 »
Ilkka, thanks for sharing your insightful review of the behavior of VR.  That makes much sense.  I'll try "sports" mode next time.  However, I still don't see the purpose of the "normal" mode, if ever the sample I tried was not defect.  An absolute maximum VR effect?

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2016, 18:51:09 »
I don't really know. Resetting the VR group at the beginning of exposure ensures the VR won't run into limits so easily and aberrations due to decentering are minimized. It seems the VR group travels further during the exposure or during composition in NORMAL mode and this is seen in the viewfinder. Perhaps the SPORT mode has a smaller range of travel (either hard or soft limit) so composition deviates less from shot to shot. The purpose of this would be to make it easier to capture a series of shots quickly without getting too random compositions?

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2016, 20:20:28 »
Yes, the VR effect should be maximized.  But the frustration caused by the drastic shift of the framing is extremely counter-intuitive, I would have to say...

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2016, 19:43:01 »
I really like how this lens has worked out for my outdoor concert photography; it's very easy to use and the results are nice. Here the composition is a bit too tight - it happens. I reluctantly switched to the 70-200mm f/2.8 II for the last song of the three so that I wouldn't get any more clipped fingers. Although that lens is excellent in its own right I really like the 300 PF's special character - the hair and dress detail stand out nicely.

Joss Stone really took her audience at Pori Jazz on Friday. This is with the D5, 300/4E, 1/800s, f/4, ISO 720. I used VR in SPORT mode to stabilize the lens although I guess this is more to help with composing and focusing than reducing shake during the exposure.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2016, 20:38:05 »
Ilkka. Wonderful feature shot. Pity the cut fingers. Difficult to move freely under the circumstances I guess.

Yes. Stabilizing the Viewfinder is the issue. To freezzee subject movement a short time is required anyway in
very many cases.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2016, 23:11:51 »
I really like how this lens has worked out for my outdoor concert photography; it's very easy to use and the results are nice. Here the composition is a bit too tight - it happens. I reluctantly switched to the 70-200mm f/2.8 II for the last song of the three so that I wouldn't get any more clipped fingers. Although that lens is excellent in its own right I really like the 300 PF's special character - the hair and dress detail stand out nicely.

Joss Stone really took her audience at Pori Jazz on Friday. This is with the D5, 300/4E, 1/800s, f/4, ISO 720. I used VR in SPORT mode to stabilize the lens although I guess this is more to help with composing and focusing than reducing shake during the exposure.
. Beautiful image, as well as the lens is. I did think a lot, tried it a lot, very good lens, portable. But, finally, 300 was short for me a bit, especially I already have 28-300. 5.6 at 300, but for outdoor acceptable, even is not as stellar as this one is. So you already know what my choice was. Good luck!  LZ

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2016, 11:13:56 »
From an organ recital, under difficult lighting conditions (low light, mixed sources, some in the field, etc.). Pardon the poor framing, but I would not budge and disturb the attendance. Moreover, I was primarily there for listening myself, and also recording.

This lens is a winner, and a perfect match for the Df.
Airy Magnien

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2016, 09:08:57 »
From an organ recital, under difficult lighting conditions

This is a wonderful image Airy.
As well as the photographic elements, I love it as a study of relaxed but focused concentration by the organist. Creates a great impression of the atmosphere in the hall/church