Author Topic: AF-S 300mm f/4.0 PF field experience  (Read 13287 times)

aerobat

• NG Supporter
  • Daniel Diggelmann, Switzerland
AF-S 300mm f/4.0 PF field experience
« on: May 29, 2016, 10:19:47 »
Dear fellow NikonGear members,

I've been looking into purchasing the compact 300mm PF.
I've only had the chance to handle the lens for a few shots last year but not since then.
What are your experiences after using it for several months?
Have the VR issues been fully solved?
Looking forward to hear your recommendations.

Cheers Daniel
Daniel Diggelmann

ArendV

• NG Member
  • The Netherlands
    • flickr
Re: AF-S 300mm f/4.0 PF field experience
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 11:20:05 »
Daniel, the 300mm 4E PF VR is my most used lens and I own it for about a year now.
Coupled with the TC-14E III I use it for nature photography, capturing birds and close ups of larger insects. I am already happy with the results wide open @f/5.6 of this very portable combination.

On the VR issue you will not get one answer as experiences vary a lot, also depending on what camera you use and if grip or tripod collar is attached (your can read more in the "Technical aspects of.." thread).

For me personally when I used a D7100 the issue was not completely solved after the firmware update (improved a bit). Now using a D500 (without grip and tripod collar) I think the issue is solved for me.
Arend

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 13:01:02 »
Super lens.
Why?

1) It is small and lightweight
2) It is unintrusive
3) great IQ, very good VR
4) It takes exteners well (1.4III).

The most important point, and the point I have to very probably exchange my 200-500 for is is the transportability.

I shot birds with it in Scotland, swapping lenses with Chris Dees. I got many more keepers than I got with the 200-500 ... I see I am no zoomer.

You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 13:16:02 »
I've used it for 11 months and it has been my most used lens during this time. It's fun to shoot with, and produces good results although it has its own characteristics/pecualiarities. I find it shines photographing subjects in rim light, and when the subject is colourful. In low contrast, dull light I don't like the results too
much and prefer conventional optics for such situations.

I find the autofocus a big improvement from its prefecessor (the 300/4D AF-S) and I now can safely use it for sports with great results.

Of the VR: my lens does not exhibit the anomalous VR performance (softness, double image) at 1/125s+-2/3stop. I find the hand held sharpness is decent in most shots at 1/50s but it steadily improves towards faster speeds. Yesterday I noticed my concert shots were slightly blurry at 1/500s but as I switched to 1/1000s they became consistently excellent. Admittedly the subjects were musicians and not perfectly still. Even for stationary subjects I see better consistency of sharpness at fast shutter speeds than slow (hand held). I normally use a tripod for static subjects though, and hand hold the lens for people/action. I just checked a few shots at 1/100s with and without VR at night indoors and turning VR on improved the sharpness dramatically.

However, others have shown that there are problem combinations of camera/lens samples that produce distinctly bad results at these intermediate shutter speeds. I would take a pragmatic approach to this and buy from a dealer which allows you to pick and test until you find one that works correclty with the cameras that you have.

I love this lens because it allows me to include a long focal length in my kit with minimal weight and bag space penalty. It is not perfect but it's a fun lens to work with and I rarely leave it out of the bag. In low contrast light, low contrast subject matter such as skin tend to be rendered "milky" for lack of a better word. I don't like this aspect of the lens but I've learned to use it in circumstances where it shines. I guess that is the trick with any lens. The 200/2 II by contrast produces more 3D and contrasty faces even in soft light, while maintaining very high sharpness of fine details, but it weights 4x that of the 300/4 PF ... so it has become a much more difficult decision to use it in my day to day shooting than the 300 PF. :) I think the images from the 200 are better in soft, dim light but for the right subject matter the 300 PF absolutely shines as well (more contrasty/colourful subject matter and light are needed for that, however).

I have thought about getting the f/2.8 version for many years but never got around to it. Nowadays I am quite happy with the f/4 PF as it is so practical and fun to use. However it is good to keep in mind that if you want the very best image quality especially in low light the f/2.8 is no doubt better. Somehow this no longer bothers me. ;) One of the advantages of the 300 PF is that you can use it pretty much anywhere and people don't pay attention to it.

For nature photos I've used it for close-ups of flowers and other detail shots, and it works well for that. I have used it for some deer photos but was unfortunately not close enough for frame filling shots with FX. I think for long distance the sharpness is good but the contrast loss due to atmospherics may limit the resulting quality.

bjornthun

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 13:51:30 »
I would love a 300/4 PF for my Sony cams. :)

aerobat

• NG Supporter
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 16:56:04 »
Thanks a lot Arend, Frank, Ilkka and Bjorn,

My usage would also be shots of prop driven aircraft wich are usually taken at 1/250s in order to show a part prop disc.
So VR in this regime is important for me. And I would use it on my D750.
Close-up capabilities are very welcome.
Otherwise I've only got fast primes. The 200-500mm is also on the short list but I fear it wouldn't be used much due to size and weight.
A difficult one. Anyway I always gravitate to primes.

Cheers Daniel
Daniel Diggelmann

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 17:01:35 »
The small, neat size is a strong argument for the 300 PF. It is really wonderfully small and easy to carry around. Plus it focuses pretty close for a 300 mm lens.

On the other hand, the PF design does impart its own character to the rendition and Ilkka has given a precise summary of this aspect. Thus the 300 PF is not a universal solution and may happily coexist with a 300/2.8 or similar.

The 200-500 becomes quite unwieldy to hold when it is extended towards 500 mm and a tripod is highly recommended. Personally I tend to shoot my 300 PF from a tripod as well, but that is just me and the way I operate.

aerobat

• NG Supporter
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 22:07:46 »
Thanks Bjørn for your feedback. Yes a tripod is certainly the best stabilization one can have. It's more the aviation stuff which will include panning a fast aircraft which would require VR or maybe a monopod.  Basically I want to get to approx 400mm and had following lenses in mind:

• AF-S 300mm f/4.0 PF & TC
  • AF-S 70-200mm f/4.0 & TC
  • AF-S 200-500mm f/5.6

I like both smaller lenses for their compactness. The 70-200 would probably be a bit short. I prefer the isolation & compression capability of the 300mm.
And the big gun would probably not be used enough to justify its purchase.

Cheers Daniel
Daniel Diggelmann

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 22:40:28 »
A 300 PF coupled with a newer model of the TC14E would serve your purposes well, I guess.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2016, 22:48:05 »
A *fantastic* portrait lens, especially outdoors, given the FL... and excellent VR at 1/30s, or above 1/200s, so I do not care much about the rest.

Summer coming back, I anticipate more outdoor portraits :)
Airy Magnien

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 23:05:33 »

Reflecting what others write, it has become one of my most used lenses after I got it 8 months ago, and basically go everywhere I carry a DSLR. VR on my copy works well in the problematic range (D7100, D5100 and more briefly D40x IR-720nm/D200; the latter bodies allow only wide open use). What has not been mentioned yet is the almost complete absence of longitudinal fringing/purple fringing in blown highlights, a big advantage for me when using it for night sky imaging on a tracker and other high contrast subjects.
Øivind Tøien

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2016, 00:17:08 »
What has not been mentioned yet is the almost complete absence of longitudinal fringing/purple fringing in blown highlights, a big advantage for me when using it for night sky imaging on a tracker and other high contrast subjects.

True. And that's one of the reasons I like it for portraits : no disturbing artifacts. Other reaons being high sharpness but slightly mild contrast, and the very smooth bokeh. Plus, the AF seems magically attracted by the nearest eye...
Airy Magnien

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2016, 17:07:32 »
Although you've already been given some good advice, quite a few people seem to be enjoying this lens

See here for more examples
http://www.lebryk.com/the-nikon-300f4-for-sports/

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2016, 17:36:40 »
Today I gave back my 5.6/200-500 and ordered the 300PF. I also had to see my orthopaedist because I did not care enough about handholding the D500 with 200-500 on my left arm for long times per day and many days.

That set me back 200 Euro, 150 loss on the big lens and 50 for the orthopaedist. Lesson learned and a rental for 10 Euro per day is not too much.

My Conclusio:

The 300PF is a lens to take everywhere everytime. It is small and light weight and a great performer

The 200-500 is the right lens for sitting in a chair in camouflage on a great vantage point with a stable tripod, a gimbal head and watch and wait while drinking some tea and eating some cookies over many an hour.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2016, 20:17:35 »
Today I gave back my 5.6/200-500 and ordered the 300PF. I also had to see my orthopaedist because I did not care enough about handholding the D500 with 200-500 on my left arm for long times per day and many days.

That set me back 200 Euro, 150 loss on the big lens and 50 for the orthopaedist. Lesson learned and a rental for 10 Euro per day is not too much.

My Conclusio:

The 300PF is a lens to take everywhere everytime. It is small and light weight and a great performer

The 200-500 is the right lens for sitting in a chair in camouflage on a great vantage point with a stable tripod, a gimbal head and watch and wait while drinking some tea and eating some cookies over many an hour.

Just do some workout at the gym.   ;D
BTW I ordered yesterday a Sigma 150-600 Sports
Chris Dees