Author Topic: hello from ohio  (Read 3086 times)

Abhijit

• NG Member
hello from ohio
« on: May 29, 2016, 07:21:34 »
Hello all

I'm Abhijit from Ohio, USA. I bought my first DSLR (a Nikon D7000) about a year ago primarily to take pictures of my family. However, my passion for photography has steadily grown to a point where I would like to pursue it in a more serious manner.  Currently, I'm exploring different topics and compositions to see what excites me. Fair to say that I'm still trying to put together a complete picture. However, the overall journey has been very enjoyable. Hope to keep it going.

The pictures I currently have are straight out of the camera JPGs. I sometimes put them through Google Picasa to perform minor editing, such as converting to black and white. I've started looking into post processing (using GIMP) very recently, particularly for black and white conversion. Still working my way through that.

Till now, I've shared my pics with only friends and family. I'm excited and also a little nervous about sharing my pics with a much more diverse and accomplished group. Here goes...

Regards

Abhijit

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
Re: hello from ohio
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 07:49:11 »
hello and welcome to Nikongear.
Once the bug has bitten - it seldom lets go. This hobby becomes a habit.

Although we all aim to take award winning shots - we actually seem not to post those on Nikongear  ;D ;D Here we tend to share the images we like, enjoy, which challenge us, and also to brag a bit at times.

We are a community - so join in.

all images are special - even if they are really bad - because we are invested in our own images.

I like your first photo especially!
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 07:56:12 »
No need to be afraid ... just continue on your chosen path. And welcome to NG of course.

If people on NG criticise a submitted it tends to be with the intent of helping solve a perceived problem, not to push you down. I would go as far as state that a good picture always evokes divided responses.

Your tree stump mimicking a barking dog (to my eyes) is a good example of how to create interesting pictures from mundane subjects.

As your technical capacity grows, also try to explore light conditions where light is lower or less contrasty then direct sunlight midday. Many scenes benefit from a gentler illumination. Do not shy away from using a tripod if the shutter speed dictates this. Contrary to popular belief, the slowing down of work flow enforced by a tripod-mounted camera actually can make your photography better. Quality is more important than quantity, here as elsewhere in life.

A final tip is to rotate pictures to the appropriate format (landscape, portrait) before they are uploaded to the site. Sometimes the intended orientation is not obvious to the uninformed viewer.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 09:01:10 »
Abhijit, welcome to NG.
We will all become your friends and family over time, so feel free to share your photos :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 10:32:29 »
Welcome, Abhijit. I like your first picture. The sun very lightly poking at the bottom of the frame is making it for me, more than if it was totally absent or fully present.
Bruno Schröder

Abhijit

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 22:51:13 »
Thanks very much for the welcome! I also appreciate the comments on the photos especially since several of the photos on this forum are really incredible.

I agree with all the comments: Photography does seem to be more a way of life and a habit than a hobby. I'm a little more aware of light, shapes, texture, and so on, in the context of my surroundings than I was before and even when I don't have a camera with me.

Surprisingly, I am also much happier when I simplify the process. For example, I find my compositions improve when using primes (35mm f1.8g dx) or manual focus lenses (28mm f2.8 ais and a 75-150mm f3.5 series e) with a tripod, as opposed to using an all-in-one zoom with autofocus and image stabilization. I seem to be less lazy, think better, and execute more carefully when I don't have the comfort of newer technology. Something for me to think about...

I will most definitely share my images, elicit comments and critique. I am very happy to learn from the folks here and bring my viewpoint if I have something to share.

Regards

- Abhijit

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 10:26:25 »
Welcome to Nikongear!!!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 10:39:27 »
Welcome ;D

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 21:13:04 »
Welcome !!
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Abhijit

• NG Member
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 03:37:46 »
Thanks everyone!

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 04:37:39 »
Welcome to NG Abhijit!  8)
Anirban Halder

Peter McLennan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2016, 03:14:15 »
I'm a little more aware of light, shapes, texture, ...
- Abhijit

And that is one of the wonderful benefits of becoming a photographer.  You see better.  How cool is that?

Congrats on your photos.  You definitely see well already!  This group is one of the most welcoming and helpful on the Internet. Welcome!

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 11:13:24 »
Welcome to NikonGear! ;)
Erik Lund

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 14:45:00 »
Welcome to NG. It is the place! Very, very knowledgeable and even more generous community.

Love that last shot.