Author Topic: 500 internal server error...  (Read 9720 times)

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
500 internal server error...
« on: May 27, 2016, 15:13:24 »
I am trying to post in ''old school Nikon primes'' thread. Impossible, even without picture. I tried several times.

I could post one with picture this morning, though !

Can it be my computer ?

Cheers, Francis.
Francis Devrainne

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
Re: 500 internal server error...
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 16:22:39 »
Hi Francis -

A 500 error is generated because of something that happens in our Site5 web server. It is a generic error message and difficult to trace. Most likely there was some temporary problem on the server possibly involving connection to the database or reaching some kind of PHP memory limit. I will go check the error logs and try to discover what happened.

Although this error message has no connection to anything you did, it is sometimes useful anyway to completely start over. Turn off browser, clear your browser caches, restart the browser and try again.

As a general note:  HTTP error codes like 5XX are due to website server problems. HTTP error codes like 4XX are caused by something on the client (your) side. More details can be found in good old Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HTTP_status_codes

Cheers - Andrea B.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 16:51:15 »
I can find no listed server problems, per se, for the NG server. So it was some connection timeout most likely. Nothing you or we had any control over.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 17:00:59 »
#404 is "page not found on server", certainly not a client side problem....
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

rosko

• NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 17:08:01 »
Thank you Andrea for your prompt answer ! :)

I will try again.
Francis Devrainne

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 20:04:04 »
Frank, 404 is a client-side error. It means you asked for a page that is not available on the server. This could happen because you are using an old link or because you got something wrong in a URL. But it is not a server error because the server did not fail: the server received a request, performed that request and reported the result.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 20:18:25 »
Thank you, Andrea!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

rosko

• NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 20:26:11 »
I think that is due obviously because of my poor connection : when I click on a post , I have to wait several seconds to minute to get the post I want to read.

Also, any pictures appear very slowly.

I am patient, retrying later.

Thanks again, Andrea for your help ! :)

Francis.
Francis Devrainne

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 20:33:20 »
Francis, that could be the problem.

Here is a link where you can test both your Download and your Upload speed.
http://www.speedtest.net/

My test shows that my Download speed is 58.21 Mb/second and my Upload speed is 31.44 Mb/second. My internet service is not the fastest possible in my area, but is suffices. When I click on an NG post, it immediately appears for reading.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 20:42:28 »
Francis, that could be the problem.
Here is a link where you can test both your Download and your Upload speed.
http://www.speedtest.net/
My test shows that my Download speed is 58.21 Mb/second and my Upload speed is 31.44 Mb/second. My internet service is not the fastest possible in my area, but is suffices. When I click on an NG post, it immediately appears for reading.

rosko

• NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 12:08:18 »
My internet connection is now back to normal. (week day, hence less demand).

I tried again posting with an image (size : 800x689, 478KB)

I still get this error message :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@nikongear.net and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried first in ''old school nikon primes'' without success, and then tried in ''critique'' still unsuccessfully.

Just for information.

I am going to try with my laptop.

Will let you know.

Cheers, Francis.
Francis Devrainne

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 12:30:14 »
My current internet connection is very slow, a tiny fraction of the figures quoted by Andrea and Frank. Yet the NG sides load almost instantly, if they contain mainly text. With a lot of attached images, the text still comes up quickly, but then I have to wait for the attachments to show. This is actually my backup net connection so I don't bother to worry further about it, more important is the new provider that is to be installed this week. However that internet connection won't be operative unless I reroute cables inside my house and then I have to drill through a wall or two. Under the current heat wave over here I probably just let things be as they are. 32C is too hot for a fierce bear of the north.

rosko

• NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 13:26:02 »
Thanks Bjørn for this prompt answer.

We just phoned to our internet provider. He tweaked in the line and now our computers are faster.

I have to drill through a wall or two.

I would be more than happy to give you hands to drill your walls, but Oslo is too far ! ;D

BTW, 32C is too hot for me too...I comparison, we are freezing here in south England !  :o

No problem at all about the issue, I am patient and I can still read the forum.

Anyway, I am sure the things will come back to normal soon. ;)
Francis Devrainne

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2016, 17:01:31 »
Hi Francis -

I can't think what could cause this 500 level server error. Of course I am looking into this.

I wonder if you would be so kind as to put one of the photos which you are trying to upload into Dropbox and send me the link? I want to determine whether there is anything at all about the photo file which may cause a problem in the server.

More later.

rosko

• NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2016, 20:44:15 »
Hello Andrea !

Ok, will try to do it. :)
Francis Devrainne