Author Topic: Image size.......  (Read 3360 times)

antonoat

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Image size.......
« on: June 16, 2015, 01:16:15 »
Images now appear to be presented larger, I like that, but it does seem to defy the image posting guidelines.
I'm a bit baffled, I'm not trying to be pedantic, just curious !

Also do image posting guidelines apply to external image links as opposed to images which are directly uploaded to the website?

Tony
Tony Oaten

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Image size.......
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 08:46:05 »
Andrea is experimenting with the image size settings. Expect some variability before a workable compromise has been found.

We try to treat linked and attached images in the same fashion. So they should all appear, initially, in the same maximum size. Ordianry click will either do nothing or take you to the link site depending on how the link is set up. Right-clicking will take you to a menu where you can see the image in default or 'clicked-up' size.

antonoat

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 15:34:30 »
Thanks Bjorn, all is clear now.
Tony Oaten

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 17:20:19 »
Just to clarify further, the individual file size if uploaded now is set to 4 MB maximum. Cannot imagine this should be a constraint for  exhibiting one's work on a web site.

Lance B

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 09:28:43 »
Now with many of us with the larger screens, larger images look much better to gain full impact, IMO. Most images present much better when viewed large so, it would be nice to have at least an option of viewing the images at their original made for web view. For my website, I now upload all images to 1200 pixels high - standard 3:2 photo in landscape means that it will be 1800 wide - which is well within the size for most modern large screens that many of us use nowadays. Even a 1000 x 1000 pixel image is starting to look quite small on my 2560 x 1440 pixel screen, an 800 pixel wide image is starting to look quite miniscule!

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 16:40:11 »
With forum software you are going to hit a height limit before you hit a width limit. So even if you upload a 1200 x 1200 px image, I don't think you will be able to see it at full size. Our current maximum is 1000 x 1000 px and that does not always display in full - depending on screen and browser.

Typically gallery software does not have this kind of restriction.

I will test a 1200 x 1200 px image and determine whether it is feasible.

Added:  see next post

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 17:59:12 »
Everyone can test the display of different image sizes here:  Sticky: Test Display of Image Size

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 20:22:16 »
At some point the forum page adapted to whatever width the browser window was set at which was very nice because the user had full control of how large the images would display by changing width of the browser window (as images re-size with the page width). However then the page width got limited to 1200 pixels for no reason that I can see as the user can just make the browser window narrower if images display too large for their liking or if they think the page is to wide to read comfortably. Is there any chance that we could get back the unlimited page width? (I am seeing this with Chrome and IE10).
Øivind Tøien

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 22:06:51 »
Sure, no problem. Will go and do that now.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 04:03:39 »
Thanks, so nice to get that back again.
Øivind Tøien