Author Topic: Nikon 1 AW1 - the little mirrorless that goes where others can't  (Read 32690 times)

Řivind Třien

• NG Member
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
Re: Nikon 1 AW1 - the little mirrorless that goes where others can't
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2015, 14:22:17 »
@ Ovind

I am quite aware of this, we are speaking about 1/10´s or 1/50´s of a bar for releasing the shutter with 1N and this is exacly what I said.
If you normally release your shutter you have dead time from your" system", then the system of the camera. But pushing on camera might be 04s, you might need 08s, so your picture will be taken roughly 1s after you wanted to have it. If you now have a system, that is not reliable transporting signals, then it is even worse.
You have to many possibilities to get wrong signals or interferences in the (elastic hydraulic)  line, not foregtting that the outside pressure may vary by 1.5 bars according to the dive deep of the AW. ( The car tubes are protective shield against ouside interferences.)
maybe now it is clearer what i meant

If the fluid inside the tubing has the same density as the surrounding water, one would not have to overcome any pressure due to depth (air is an entirely different matter). Pressure waves/sound travels at 1,524 meters (5,000 feet) per second in open sea water. In something as highly elastic as a human artery, wave transmission speed can as be > 10 m/s depending on blood pressure. It would not take much to make something with 10-100 times that wall stiffness but still fairly flexible. Thus I do not think lag due to pressure wave transmission would be too much of an issue. The problem with my syringe to syringe hydraulic transmission to release the Nikonos IV under the ice was not elasticity of the tubing, but to overcome friction in the rubber piston of the syringes. (I did anyway manage to get a fish in the frame, but guessing correct focus was a problem with the 35mm lens). A better cylinder/actuator would likely remedy that. Anyway in the scenario I envision that would justify that much engineering one would not have too much view of what the camera would be seeing and would have to fire blindly where lag is less of a concern.

Another idea would be a solenoid based actuator, but then one would have the problem of waterproofing the solenoid and electrical cable connections plus the need for enough power to drive it. BTW I wonder if an IR release would have worked well under water at all; water tends to absorb a lot of IR.
Řivind Třien

Řivind Třien

• NG Member
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2016, 10:33:06 »
For the record of the thread: Last week I got myself a WU-1b wireless adapter to play with using a smartphone as remote release for the AW1 (in dry conditions), just to find that it causes the camera to switch into program (P) mode, with no way of adjusting shooting parameters on the phone in the Nikon app (and controls blocked on the camera). Well at least it retained exposure compensation and ISO that was preset on the camera, so I sort of worked for the moon shot I tried. But then with wide open aperture, as it did not know that the camera was on a tripod, and wanted the shutter speed to be 1/1000 sec if possible. Oh well, at $16.50 off ebay it was an inexpensive experiment, and I could sit in the warmth of my cabin fire repeated moon shots with live view on the phone, and with no remaining vibrations from touching the camera. The mechanical remote releases discussed above would be in physical contact with the camera, thus could transfer vibrations to a less sturdy  long lens setup.

The door to the connectors is very exposed when open and could easily be damaged if bumped. Also a lot of caution is needed when inserting the WU-1b connector as it otherwise could scratch the sealing surfaces; the same goes for inserting a USB cable.
Řivind Třien

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2018, 08:54:16 »
What is the name or typenumber for the rubberjacket to fit the aw1?

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Fotoverhalen

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2018, 09:54:53 »
I ordered one from Japan; didnt know you needed one for the 1 aw1 thought it to be waterproof by itself.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Fotoverhalen
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2018, 10:04:50 »
I ordered one from Japan; didnt know you needed one for the 1 aw1 thought it to be waterproof by itself.
You don't need it for being waterproof.  It's just extra protection and grip.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2018, 10:18:19 »
Thank you John