Author Topic: Dismantling the Nikkor-Q 135mm f/2.8!!!  (Read 8334 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
Dismantling the Nikkor-Q 135mm f/2.8!!!
« on: April 21, 2016, 17:28:06 »
https://richardhaw.com/2016/04/21/repair-nikkor-q-135mm-f2-8/
sample photos in the post were shot with a D750 last night  :o :o :o

fixing this is so relaxing, like fixing a VW beetle! ::)

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
Re: Dismantling the Nikkor-Q 135mm f/2.8!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 19:40:34 »
Nice article ! I had mine done by my usual brick and mortar Nikon shop with a very special repair shop authorized by Nikon France for lenses. He had the AI set for my 135mm Q so I was quite happy having got the lens for less then 100€ at my Photofair. All is now clean and I find it an extraordinary lens for it's age ! :-)
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 21:03:48 »
Very informative article again, Richard.

The 135 Q is a very nice lens. But somehow the 135mm is not my favourite focal length.... (I have identical 'problems' with the 24mm)  I prefer rather the 105 or the 185 /200 instead.

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 01:50:26 »
Nice article ! I had mine done by my usual brick and mortar Nikon shop with a very special repair shop authorized by Nikon France for lenses. He had the AI set for my 135mm Q so I was quite happy having got the lens for less then 100€ at my Photofair. All is now clean and I find it an extraordinary lens for it's age ! :-)

wow, you are lucky! :o :o :o that lens is going to last 2 more lifetimes. it is that well built!

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 01:51:23 »
Very informative article again, Richard.

The 135 Q is a very nice lens. But somehow the 135mm is not my favourite focal length.... (I have identical 'problems' with the 24mm)  I prefer rather the 105 or the 185 /200 instead.

hello, John!

it is an oddball focal length for some. I shoot a 50mm mostly so this is just OK for me. :o :o :o

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 09:28:13 »
Is the 135/2.8 Q easy to AI, Richard?

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 10:51:35 »
Is the 135/2.8 Q easy to AI, Richard?

Hi,John!

I would say so but be careful NOT to trim too much from the aperture ring. I trimmed just enough so that it reached the base of bunny ears and extend by 0.5mm :o :o :o
I have now found an Ai kit so I am now happy ::)

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 00:02:37 »
Ah, great find !  Thanks for the reply, Richard.

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 01:19:30 »
Ah, great find !  Thanks for the reply, Richard.

just trim enough to make it flush with the chrome bayonet, and the give the ring a try. if it gets in contact with the aperture feeler on the camera then trim a bit more :o :o :o some people also trim the bunny ears or just remove everything so the bunny ears has nothing to attach to but I use the Nikkormats and the photomic finders so I leave these all the time.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 09:11:07 »
Cameras vary quite a bit as to how far out the aperture follower is compared to the mount surface, I usually cut the aperture ring about 0.5mm shorter than the F-mount so that it doesn't press down on the rather 'fragile' aperture follower - fragile due to the ceramic print board just behind it, could actually be why many people experience breakage of that board,,,
Erik Lund

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 09:23:53 »
Cameras vary quite a bit as to how far out the aperture follower is compared to the mount surface, I usually cut the aperture ring about 0.5mm shorter than the F-mount so that it doesn't press down on the rather 'fragile' aperture follower - fragile due to the ceramic print board just behind it, could actually be why many people experience breakage of that board,,,

Yes, around that :o :o :o
a good example is the aperture tab of the D7200 is 0.25mm taller than that of the D750 ::)
so I give an allowance of 0.5mm or a bit more. I only had to cut the ear once by around 1mm but I forgot which lens.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 09:25:57 »
Very good point.  I think it's clever to ask the seller about the specs. of the modification when purchasing a 'manually' adapted Ai'd  lens.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 12:45:02 »
If one is doing an Ai modification to the aperture ring as fitted to the very early Nikkors, do be aware that these rings were screwed onto the back of the lenses with a fine pitched thread. 

Thus there is a variation in the gap between full and minimum aperture settings of around 0.25mm IIRC.  Thus this variation needs to be included in the fitting tolerance to ensure that the aperture follower tab always is free of fore/aft compressions at all apertures.
Hugh Gunn

brent_e

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 20:25:46 »
Thank you for these, Richard.
they're a great resource for tinkering with these lenses!

Brent

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2017, 16:55:36 »
If one is doing an Ai modification to the aperture ring as fitted to the very early Nikkors, do be aware that these rings were screwed onto the back of the lenses with a fine pitched thread. 

yes, I forgot about that version  :o :o :o it has the triangular fork!