Author Topic: Coolpix A Dust Removal  (Read 5633 times)

Chip Chipowski

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Coolpix A Dust Removal
« on: April 20, 2016, 17:37:46 »
I just noticed a large dust or felt chunk on my sensor, but I am having trouble figuring out how to clean the sensor.  I wonder if any other Coolpix A users have removed the lens in order to clean the sensor.  I have no idea how difficult/complex that would be.  If the danger factor is high, I suppose I could just send it in to Nikon or a third-party shop to get it cleaned.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
Re: Coolpix A Dust Removal
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 18:59:50 »
I have also dust on my Coolpix A sensor but have never tried to open it up. Have you googled around for a Coolpix A teardown?

You do have to wonder how dust gets in there when the lens is never changed.

Chip Chipowski

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 19:04:14 »
I can't find anything on Google :(

I figured that dust probably gets in via the power lens open/close function.  It looks like it might draw in any dust or debris on or around the lens assembly.  I talked to the Nikon Coolpix repair facility and got a ballpark estimate around $50 USD for a sensor clean so I'll probably end up doing that.  I am pretty careful about keeping the camera clean, but sometimes I will carry the lens in a pocket, so I could see some little pieces of lint or dust getting in that way. 

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 02:52:07 »
compacts can be such a pain to clean :o :o :o
i am going to look for a junk coolpix A and if the price is OK, i will do a teardown ::)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 04:04:17 »
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Chip Chipowski

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 19:27:47 »
Thanks for the responses.  Akira, those images tell me that I will not be opening up the camera  :P

I did see one idea online about using a vacuum cleaner around the crevices to try to suck out loose dust.  I kind of doubt that will work, but I'll give it a try, then probably send it to Nikon if unsuccessful. 

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 15:34:19 »
not sure if you can do this for the coolpix, some PNS sensors can be accessed by removing the lens with a rubber stopper. the sensor is then exposed :o :o :o
this was how some PNS are cleaned as i saw it in the workshops back at home