Author Topic: 105 f2.8 Micro-Nikkor ED-IF VR - sucking dust internally  (Read 6125 times)

chambeshi

Re: 105 f2.8 Micro-Nikkor ED-IF VR - sucking dust internally
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2016, 13:48:58 »
I will follow your wise suggestions on these conversions, including a bigger gripping head on the collar locking-stud. For the tripod foot, I presume 2 stainless steel capscrews (countersunk heads) will be the best [i.e. using an Allen key]; and perhaps a 3rd shorter bolt offset near the snout of this piddly nikon bracket.  I am thinking of ~3mm (1/8") shank with coarser UNC thread to bite the aluminum properly (3/8" or 1/4" UNC are the tripod standards). Will have to get the matching tap and access to a proper drill press, as this is one conversion not to mess up (!)

Thank you very much for these shared words of wisdom on this conversion and how to use this unique lens :-)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2016, 14:06:57 »
I indeed used steel bolts with countersunk heads and operated into position by an Allen key. Added epoxy glue for a good measure as well. These bolts should never be able to come out again ...

For the front end, we used a 1/4" brass screw. Little is gained by going any bigger as the area to receive the screw is not very large.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2016, 14:20:15 »
The 105 VR has crushing optical performance, but the Mechanics, VR and AF have made me decide against it after heavy using it for one week on four different bodies (D3, D600, D750, D810) as a loaner from Nikon Professional Service.

She is one of the first VR Lenses Nikon ever made and it is due time for an upgrade. Nothing wrong with the optics or the price in my book.

Happy to hear you found a good solution. A friend of mine paid his house and his last 5 cars with studio work done with the 70-180D Micro (model cars).
Another friend build his artistic career on very heavy usage of that gem as his 95% lens.
That is a cool lens.

For my purposes I decided to go with the 200/4.0 Ai-S Micro.

Good luck, good work, God bless you.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2016, 14:31:09 »
You can use my APO-Lanthar 125 on the Scottish NG come-together ....  Just to compare what "crushing performance" really means ...