Author Topic: How to mount a DE OUDE DELFT RAYXAR E65/0.75 Revisited  (Read 30679 times)

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
How to mount a DE OUDE DELFT RAYXAR E65/0.75 Revisited
« on: April 08, 2016, 23:10:57 »
In 2013 I asked Bjørn Rørslett how to mount my newly acquired DE OUDE DELFT RAYXAR E65/0.75. He suggested we start a thread on the old Nikongear site.

Here are the photographs that were posted when I asked the question.

Bez

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
Re: How to mount a DE OUDE DELFT RAYXAR E65/0.75 Revisited
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 23:16:09 »
Here are Bjørn's instructions......

Posted 06 December 2013 - 20:12

As usual you can attack the modification of such lenses in different ways. There is no golden rule.

However, whatever you do remember this lens is very heavy. So any attachments must be able to hold the load.

A simple yet efficient approach is as follows;

Remove the retaining shroud at the end of the lens. Be care full so the rear lens cell doesn't drop out.
The removal discloses a thread which is small and pretty delicate. It can be used if you find the appropriate counter-threaded items. I do have used this approach once or twice but now find it's too weak to be trusted for a lens used in the field.
Instead, use either 40.5>52 or 42>52 mm step rings. Remove the smaller thread (Dremel at the rescue) so the adapter is flush on one side. I think 40.5 will have a light opening large enough, 42mm will give less support but should still suffice.
Put the modified adapter onto the rear of the lens ensuring it is flush to the cut-out of the main lens casing. The 52 mm threads should point backwards.
Add the retaining shroud and screw it home so the adapter is securely held in place.

This procedure will give a clean 52 mm female interface. A BR-2/2A will give a Nikon F mount but beware the reflex mirror of the camera. You can add a spacer such as a K-4 to avoid any issue with Nikons. Alternatively, find a suitable transition from 52 mm to m43.

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:27

Another tip if you go the 52 mm way ending with the first adapter showing 52 mm female threads. For F mount use a BR-2 or similar plus a spacer (K-4 or similar). For m43 mount, add a step-down 52>42 mm which will present a flat outer surface to which you can attach say a C-mount>m43 adapter (the one by Fotga is perfect as it is thin yet very robust) by running three screws to hold these together. If you wish to use the Rayxar on a CX-mount camera (1 Nikon series), make a similar setup but substitute C-mount to CX instead.

You now have a versatile system in which you can easily juggle between 3 different camera mounts. Many of the "fat" X-ray lenses (Rodenstock Heligon, Oude Delft Rayxar, Kowa, Canon) can be dealt with in a similar fashion. The basic point is using the 52 mm thread as the common interface for all versions. The 52 mm threaded item has the strength to hold these heavy lenses securely, something which is less obvious with the smaller diameter threads.
Bez

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 23:21:41 »
Here is my lens with the mount fitted.......

Bez

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 23:25:04 »
Here is the beast fitted to a baby M43 camera....
Bez

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 23:27:45 »
Here is the very first photograph I took with the lens mounted on a D800....

Bez

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 23:30:27 »
The little sister of the big Rayxar 65 mm f/0.75 is the Oude Delft 50 mm f/0.75. Still labelled 'Rayxar', but in another league regarding heft and bulk.

The 65 mm f/0.75 with one out of several adapter solutions I have made for it. This version sets the rear lens cell as deep as possible into the F-mount yet still clear the mirror. (I did manage to get the cell pushed further backwards later, alas no photo of that, and the mount is now rearranged for Sony E).

These various approaches to get a mount for the 65 mm illustrate there are no definite rules or solutions to adhere to. Except you always have to consider the stability of the connection with such a heavy lens.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 23:35:17 »
A few Rayxar 65 snapshots.

charlie

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 00:05:49 »
Were these Rayxar lenses originally intended for X-Ray use like the Heligon's?

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 00:08:32 »
Yes they were fitted to Phillips X-Ray machines

Cheers
Bez

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 00:19:26 »
It is common to see the glass inside such lenses, be they Heligons or Rayxars, take on a brownish tinge. No doubt a result of high-refractive rare earth glass and massive X-ray impact.

I have seen a diagram of the optical setup used in these X-ray devices. Probably in one of my optical textbooks.  Must locate and copy so we better can understand why these lenses were designed as they are.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 00:19:31 »
BEZ: That is a cool project. Looking forward to meeting you again in Scotland!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2016, 00:24:06 »
Hello Frank,
I am looking forward to see you also ....I have a nice bottle of Saint-Émilion with your name on it, ready to bring to Killin  ...see you soon!

Cheers

Bez

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2016, 10:53:47 »
Here is my lens with the mount fitted.......
So the the package contains a BR-2 on the camera side and a 40.5-52 step up ring on the lens side. What is the thing in the middle?
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2016, 11:12:42 »
My quick and dirty solution:

1) Nikon F to 52mm adapter from ebay
2) 52-55 step down ring
3) 55-52 step up ring
4) 52-40.5 step up ring

2-3 are simply for spacing. With this, the rear element is about 1.5mm from the rear of the F-mount bayonet (recessed, not sticking out).
There are two things I'm worried about:

1) Suspending the lens from the mount for prolonged time. I would prefer to have a tripod mount on the lens itself.
2) The 52-40.5 ring has considerable play (as Bez showed with his caliper, the outer diameter of the lens case is considerably smaller than the inner diameter of the 40.5 side of the ring. Thus, the ring is only secured by the rear screw of the Rayxar lens (the part shown in Bez' 2nd picture) by friction.

Any suggestions?

Here is the rig on the FT-1 and Nikon 1 V1:
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2016, 11:13:14 »
A spacer. Apparently BEZ just knocked out the glass from a 52 mm filter.