Author Topic: [Theme] Classic Cars  (Read 47777 times)

Thomas G

• NG Supporter
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
Re: [Theme] Classic Cars
« Reply #150 on: July 16, 2018, 21:29:25 »
classic scene
-/-/-

pluton

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #151 on: July 17, 2018, 04:42:36 »
classic scene
Good document of the 3rd generation Buick Riviera.  Few survive anywhere in such good condition.
The model marks the years 1971 to 1973, a period where the styling of American cars...particularly GM cars... underwent a radical shift from pleasing, speed-flavored beauty to a kind of senile, low-class post-modernism.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

benveniste

• NG Member
  • I think, therefore I am. I think.
« Reply #152 on: July 21, 2018, 20:22:01 »
Nikon FA, Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4, Ferrania p30 film rated at ISO 80, developed commercially in DD-X.

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #153 on: August 24, 2018, 22:41:52 »
"Barn find" on holiday (while on a tour in and around a castle) in France.

I guess a Citroen, at least in good company in the background.
Hans Cremers

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #154 on: August 25, 2018, 19:18:08 »
Does not look like a Citroën to, rather English, perhaps a Bentley?

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #155 on: August 25, 2018, 20:40:11 »
Search on '1952 Bentley', you will see an abundance of them.

Very similar to the 1952 Alvis which my father had.  The bodies were made by various outside coach builders in those days so although they followed a general style, there were many variations, especially with the soft tops.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #156 on: August 25, 2018, 21:24:29 »
Search on '1952 Bentley', you will see an abundance of them.

Very similar to the 1952 Alvis which my father had.  The bodies were made by various outside coach builders in those days so although they followed a general style, there were many variations, especially with the soft tops.

I wasn't aware of that. I had always thought that Bentley/Rolls Royce were all produced in house, with them not wanting anyone else mucking about with their cars. Live and learn!  ;)
Carl

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #157 on: August 25, 2018, 21:45:56 »
Most of the 'better' cars when chassis were the norm, were produced as a rolling chassis, sometimes with a standard bulkhead and radiator cowling, the body builder did the rest. Sometimes wealthy customers would have a body produced to their own specifications.  There were Park Ward, Mulliner, Charlesworth, Tickford and Abbot, off the top of my head and a host more which don't spring to mind right now!

Eventually when chassis became unfashionable and structural bodies replaced them, it became impractical to farm the bodywork out because it had become the basis of the vehicle. The larger constructors absorbed some of the skilled workforce from the hitherto suppliers and took the process in-house.

As a matter of interest Donald Campbell's Bentley which is Bluebird blue, is in a museum not far from here, I thought I had photographs of the front of it but alas only the front bumper, which is an earlier style, late 40's I would guess. I am pretty sure it's a very similar front to the picture above.

OK, I just googled 'donald campbell's bentley images' and the one in the museum is about 1936 style, but still a pretty car, also it picked up on his Land Rover, also in Bluebird blue...

Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #158 on: August 25, 2018, 22:20:12 »
Most of the 'better' cars when chassis were the norm, were produced as a rolling chassis, sometimes with a standard bulkhead and radiator cowling, the body builder did the rest. Sometimes wealthy customers would have a body produced to their own specifications.  There were Park Ward, Mulliner, Charlesworth, Tickford and Abbot, off the top of my head and a host more which don't spring to mind right now!

Eventually when chassis became unfashionable and structural bodies replaced them, it became impractical to farm the bodywork out because it had become the basis of the vehicle. The larger constructors absorbed some of the skilled workforce from the hitherto suppliers and took the process in-house.

As a matter of interest Donald Campbell's Bentley which is Bluebird blue, is in a museum not far from here, I thought I had photographs of the front of it but alas only the front bumper, which is an earlier style, late 40's I would guess. I am pretty sure it's a very similar front to the picture above.

OK, I just googled 'donald campbell's bentley images' and the one in the museum is about 1936 style, but still a pretty car, also it picked up on his Land Rover, also in Bluebird blue...

Thanks, interesting stuff!  :)
Carl

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #159 on: August 25, 2018, 23:50:34 »
Well, i apologize for assuming the French make. Thanks a lot for bringing more clarity into this case, i am not at all a connoisseur (as you may have noticed).
Hans Cremers

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #160 on: August 26, 2018, 01:00:15 »
Well, i apologize for assuming the French make. Thanks a lot for bringing more clarity into this case, i am not at all a connoisseur (as you may have noticed).

No need for apologies!  While I can recognise many classic cars, I can't identify the makes of current cars for love nor money... But then they don't hold any interest for me, they are just bean tins on wheels waiting to be bean tins again.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #161 on: August 26, 2018, 01:56:49 »
No need for apologies!  While I can recognise many classic cars, I can't identify the makes of current cars for love nor money... But then they don't hold any interest for me, they are just bean tins on wheels waiting to be bean tins again.

A malady that strikes many of us! Thankfully, it isn't terminal, AFAIK.
Carl

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #162 on: August 29, 2018, 21:45:15 »

August 24, Saumur

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #163 on: August 30, 2018, 15:14:10 »
"Barn find" on holiday (while on a tour in and around a castle) in France.

I guess a Citroen, at least in good company in the background.

Any Citroën car shows the double chevron on the radiator grill as shown on  Fons's picture.

Below, no need to say... ;)

Francis Devrainne

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #164 on: October 31, 2019, 19:07:22 »

VW K70L