Author Topic: [Theme] Ballerinas in flight  (Read 6677 times)

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
Re: [Theme] Ballerinas in flight
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2016, 20:19:28 »
Shooting gymnasts is similar, they will pick the slightest defect in their position and reject the image, even if for us as photographers it may look spectacular

The shot I show of the jump - Grand Jeté (nice to learn something new) was from a diagonal perspective, as this was done in the photo studio and only using a diagonal she had enough space for the jump.
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2016, 20:41:11 »
Jakov, I didn't expect  anything less from you  ;D

Airy is right. Technique must be perfect in any ballet image -if you want them to like it- It also works the other way, they may like a crapy-blury-dark image if they are in it the way the want to. Don´t show them... :)

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2016, 21:21:46 »
From experience : ballerinas crave for perfection. To become a keeper (for them), the attitude, step, whatever must be perfect, i.e. according to received tradition. Transition states are not interesting. Movement is not interesting. The only possible picture of a grand jeté is taken at the moment both legs are perfectly aligned and parallel to the ground, and it must be taken from the side, the only one that would be shown to the audience. Remindful of old Aegyptian painting. An one wish the glorious movement would last forever, so the picture must appear frozen; motion blur is not welcome.

I made the same experience with ballerinas and ballet masters. The only thing that may be unacademic is the lighting, the exposure... but don't play with the geometry. Forget about wide angles.

The stern self-inflicted discipline is passed onto poor Mr. photographer, who is by nature more self-indulgent.

A bit frustrating, and that's why I focus on rehearsals, where the expectations are less.

Ah and by the way, the facial expression must be OK too (cool-neutral). At least they manage to look concentrated rather than stressed, so that's a minor issue.

Thank you. That. Is very helpful. I will refrain from trying to photograph ballerinas!
Peter

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2016, 21:33:11 »
Come on Peter, in fact it is pure bliss.
Airy Magnien

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2016, 22:10:00 »
Not exactly a ballerina, but it defies gravity. A modest tribute to Philippe Halsman:

Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2016, 22:47:12 »
And a talented shadow too
Airy Magnien

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2016, 23:28:18 »
Great capture MFloyd!
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2016, 22:23:50 »
Not exactly in flight, but about to take off. I had to fight with terrible lighting (effective for the public, but not pleasant for photography - damned near-monochromatic LED projectors...)
Airy Magnien

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2016, 00:16:12 »
Tough light. Might be a case for BW, just keeping the channel which has the best exposure.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2016, 01:35:29 »
Airy, the light in the first one makes her look as part of the painting in the back
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3