Author Topic: [Theme] Ballerinas in flight  (Read 6716 times)

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
[Theme] Ballerinas in flight
« on: April 05, 2016, 22:04:06 »
Classical ballet has never been my cup of tea. I however appreciate the efforts made by ballet dancers to annihilate gravity (most contemporary ballet is comparatively down-to-earth, in the original meaning of the term).

While such efforts are vain, photography (still shots) manages to make such illusions more credible. Besides, ballet is an interesting subject for developing photographic skills (anticipation, manual focussing skills...) with a fair guarantee of pleasant results, after having culled those 90% of missed shots. Remember that ballerinas only want to look good, and have a narrow understanding of what "looking good" is all about.

The titles of the thread is obviously a pun on the other BIF (like "birds"), which is another photographic genre. With ballerinas at least, you'll shoot in the dry.

With "in flight", I do not necessarily invite to display shots where no body part touches the dance floor. Just those where indeed g seems to be much less than 9.81 m/s².

Df, 24-70/2.8 at 24mm and f/5.6, 1/100s
Airy Magnien

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
Re: [Theme] Ballerinas in flight
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 22:16:15 »
Classic ballet is also not my thing - having said that - I would not mind shooting it.
Sadly I havent -
I like your shot and the motion
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 22:32:47 »
Then Elsa you should offer yourself a treat and spend a day in a ballet studio. These must be in sufficient supply near your place. You'll have to find advanced courses (beginners don't fly) and maybe get a WA zoom. Ballet is the only reason I keep that 24-70/2.8 in my inventory (the other one would be weddings). Short FLs and lightning fast AF are needed (otherwise, better go MF).
Airy Magnien

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 00:59:59 »
A few more, from another session (today). The 24-70 at work and, yes, the 300 PF, which I confirm is a gorgeous portrait lens.
Airy Magnien

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 01:01:54 »
Here's the 300 PF contribution, both on moving and static subjects :
Airy Magnien

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 03:52:11 »
D800 1/1000 45mm f4.5 during a practice session
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 06:55:51 »
The perfect Grand Jeté...
Airy Magnien

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 20:10:00 »
Armando, unusual point of view. It works better with the upper half of the body in this movement but I find it interesting nonetheless. It is a pretty good Grand Jeté...

Here another case of BIF. Warm up coincidence:

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 23:57:05 »
Yanelis in the desert and at the studio. I should have more of this somewhere...

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 00:56:42 »
Impressed by all of these shots.
Wanted to be professional dancer when I was 19.
Now I am 49.

I still like to dance.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 08:31:04 »
Remember that ballerinas only want to look good, and have a narrow understanding of what "looking good" is all about.

It is a wonderful series and I like the title! Actually, the "flight" element differentiates it from many other photos seen in this genre.
I wonder of a 'bold' BW conversion for # and #2 would have worked even better. Might be a matter of taste.

May I ask what you mean by the sentence I quoted to avoid any misinterpretation on my side?

Armando: That is a spectacular shot with that black background, lighting, and expression. With that shutter speed it looks like the ballerina is hanging in the air. The others ones show motion

Paco: Those are truly amazing: there is a story in every photo. I love the composition, the movement, the way the lines and/or background provide context, and the PP
Peter

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 11:18:08 »
As soon as I wake up I do exactly as Yanelis does. Just to get the blood stream flowing  ::)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 13:02:12 »
As soon as I wake up I do exactly as Yanelis does. Just to get the blood stream flowing  ::)

Ah, was that you on the beach this morning?
;-)
Peter

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 13:38:59 »
Ah, was that you on the beach this morning?
;-)

Yes, have you noticed how sexy I am  ;D
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 18:12:01 »
May I ask what you mean by the sentence I quoted to avoid any misinterpretation on my side?

From experience : ballerinas crave for perfection. To become a keeper (for them), the attitude, step, whatever must be perfect, i.e. according to received tradition. Transition states are not interesting. Movement is not interesting. The only possible picture of a grand jeté is taken at the moment both legs are perfectly aligned and parallel to the ground, and it must be taken from the side, the only one that would be shown to the audience. Remindful of old Aegyptian painting. An one wish the glorious movement would last forever, so the picture must appear frozen; motion blur is not welcome.

I made the same experience with ballerinas and ballet masters. The only thing that may be unacademic is the lighting, the exposure... but don't play with the geometry. Forget about wide angles.

The stern self-inflicted discipline is passed onto poor Mr. photographer, who is by nature more self-indulgent.

A bit frustrating, and that's why I focus on rehearsals, where the expectations are less.

Ah and by the way, the facial expression must be OK too (cool-neutral). At least they manage to look concentrated rather than stressed, so that's a minor issue.
Airy Magnien