Author Topic: Useful Lenses for Close-Up Work: Nikkor-O (CRT) 55mm  (Read 17971 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Useful Lenses for Close-Up Work: Nikkor-O (CRT) 55mm
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2016, 10:05:13 »
Put the lens on a BR-15 adapter or its equivalent and there is no danger of seating the lens too deep.

If the retaining ring is missing, get a few M39-42 rings and add them as a substitute. Such format conversions rings are extremely cheap and anyone dabbling with M39/M42 lenses should have a handful of them in a drawer anyway.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2016, 10:15:48 »
The jam nut is necessary when mounting the 55/1.2 on a Nikon body using BR-15.  Without the jam nut, the rear edge of the long M39 thread will interfere with the aperture lever in the mirror box.  I learned that from my own experience.  :(

On the Canon full-frame DSLR (EOS 5D Mk III in my case), you can use the 55/1.2 and BR-15 combo via Nikon F to Canon EF mount adapter without the jam nut.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2016, 11:11:41 »
Thanks everyone, glad to know my database is accurate. Maybe Eric needs counting lessons  :o
That seems to be the case then  ;) Sorry!
Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2016, 11:25:43 »
No need to be sorry, Erik. When a lens has this many aperture blades, counting them is difficult. I counted three times and took the average :D

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2016, 11:53:10 »
When I count the aperture blades, I often lose where I started.  This time I was just lucky.   :o

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2016, 12:07:01 »
When I try this, I stop down the lens about half the way and rotate it so one blade edge is level horizontally on top. Then, ensure a strong light filling the lens pupil to maximise contrast, and start counting clockwise until you reach the upper edge again.. Repeat three times, take average.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2016, 14:15:52 »
I count three or ten times, dvide by 100, subtract 3, add 5, take the square root and then ask Bjørn Rørslett :)
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2016, 16:02:36 »
The Oracle speaks ...

Well, I think the question of number of aperture blades has been settled.

I' currently trying out the Nikkor-O on my Sony A7 through the appropriate adapters and a focusing helicoid. The lens *will* focus to infinity on this camera. However, if there is any quality at all left remains to be seen. This observation certainly will secure a continued interest for the Sony A-series from my point of view. I had nearly given up the system at this point.

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2016, 16:41:54 »
When I try this, I stop down the lens about half the way and rotate it so one blade edge is level horizontally on top. Then, ensure a strong light filling the lens pupil to maximise contrast, and start counting clockwise until you reach the upper edge again.. Repeat three times, take average.

Same I do; repeat only if >10 blades ;-)
formerly known as kds315

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2016, 17:49:43 »
No need to be sorry, Erik. When a lens has this many aperture blades, counting them is difficult. I counted three times and took the average :D

I think I got 11 more than 12.  After a few elevens which puzzled me, I found the two blades I'd been counting as one thanks to a quirk in the lighting.  Then I counted twelve twice to confirm.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2016, 20:17:59 »

I did exactly the same.   8) 8) 8)

JKoerner007

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2017, 17:26:27 »
Erik, I realize that the "CRT-Nikkor" is rather a vernacular name of Nikkor-O 55/1.2, to avoid the confusion with the more common Niikkor-O 35/2.0 maybe?

Mine is a Nippon-Kogaku version bought from Vivek at a friendly price.  It has the most common 52mm filter thread which accepts any 52mm filters and BR-2A reverse-mount adapter ring with absolutely no problem

This is what I was secretly wondering, from the other thread, so thanks for answering my question (without knowing it was my question ;) ).

Coin Imaging confirms it has a different thread mount, but that you can reverse, yet they don't rate this lens too high, mainly due to corner sharpness issues, but I understand this guy is a coin freak, and is looking for clean across-the-board images and is unconcerned about bokeh, etc.

Still, if you look at Coin Imaging's "Hall of Fame," the lens ranks in their Top 10 (overall) up to 4x lifesize, when reversed.

Also found Michael's e-Page about the lens, which is an extension of this thread ... but with a lot more pictures.

I am becoming seriously interested in this lens.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2017, 17:39:33 »

Also found Michael's e-Page about the lens, which is an extension of this thread with a lot more pictures.

I am becoming seriously interested in this lens.

Well, Jack, I have to warn you and this is meant in the best of humor. IMO, becoming enamored of the CRT Nikkor 55mm is a sign (my friend) that the "artist" in you is moving into the passing lane. Why? Because this is a lens that (at least wide open) distorts both color and form, which is anything but natural science, unless there is a modern science I am not aware of. LOL. I first learned about this lens from nfoto, but it was Akira who converted me to it, so be careful.

Shot with the CRT Nikkor

MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

JKoerner007

« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2017, 17:53:52 »
I know I seem to be more of a 'forensic' (just-the-facts, ma'am) type of photographer ... but I do have artistic inclinations.

I actually used to shoot a ton of flowers, when I first got into photography ... back when I had the lowly 7D and the 100mm macro :)

Wildflowers used to form my primary interest when I first got into photography, but back then I lived in north Florida, just below the Panhandle ... which was replete with wildflowers ... so I had a whole host of fabulous flower subjects to choose from ... on a daily basis ... compared to where I am now in dry, arid So. CA.

Nice image, BTW ...

Here is a wildlflower image I shot more than a decade ago ... similar to your own style ;)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2017, 18:10:47 »
I know I seem to be more of a 'forensic' (just-the-facts, ma'am) type of photographer ... but I do have artistic inclinations.

I actually used to shoot a ton of flowers, when I first got into photography ... back when I had the lowly 7D and the 100mm macro :)

Wildflowers used to form my primary interest when I first got into photography, but back then I lived in north Florida, just below the Panhandle ... which was replete with wildflowers ... so I had a whole host of fabulous flower subjects to choose from ... on a daily basis ... compared to where I am now in dry, arid So. CA.

Nice image, BTW ...

Here is a wildlflower image I shot more than a decade ago ... similar to your own style ;)

Who would' think it?

"Here is a wildlflower image I shot more than a decade ago ... similar to your own style ;)"

Awwww. Now you're talkin' my language. Now that I see that image, it's OK with me if you get the CRT Nikkor.

Another image with the CRT Nikkor.