Author Topic: Useful Lenses for Close-Up Work: Nikkor-O (CRT) 55mm  (Read 17817 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
Useful Lenses for Close-Up Work: Nikkor-O (CRT) 55mm
« on: April 04, 2016, 13:01:23 »
The Nikkor-O 55mm, f/1.2 CRT Oscilloscope

The Nikkor “O” (for oscilloscope) or CRT-Nikkor, as it is called is perhaps the most “different” lens that l own. This lens was made for monitoring CRTs and has trouble with daylight, which is part of its charm, since all kinds of wonderful color variations can be expected. This is not an APO lens or anything close to it because it has been corrected to render phosphorus colors, and is said to be optimum at f/4 and f/5.6.

The CRT or Oscilloscope Nikkor first appeared in the mid-1960s as an industrial lens designed for photographing oscilloscope displays and cathode-ray tubes, thus the nickname (CRT Nikkor). It was designed with a fixed focus and has no helicoid or focusing ring. However, it is very fast, with an aperture of f/1.2 wide-open. The maximum sharpness is said to be f/4. As mentioned, the lens is very, very sharp. It is listed as having f/1.2, but keep in mind that all ratings are for a lens at infinity, and this lens is designed for close-up range, so the f/stop would be more like f/1.4.

Even, so the lens is about as sharp as anyone could want. As for bokeh, the CRT-Nikkor is over the top, bokeh on LSD, which I particularly love. The CRT Nikkor can help you get out of the box to become more creative. At least that has been my experience.

This lens is not designed to be mounted on a standard Nikon DSLR, but rather uses the Leica M39 thread mount. The M39-to-Nikon F-mount adapters can be readily found on Ebay. Many people prefer to use an M39-to-T2, and then a T2-to-Nikon-F-mount adapter to mount the lens on a DSLR. This works well for images and close-up work less than 1:1. For macro work above 1:1, use a 52mm reversing ring. There are two versions, the first released in 1964, with the only difference being that the second version is marked (red engraving) “M=1/5.”

As pointed out, this was a lens built to photograph computer monitors, CRTs, the old ones with a curved face. The lens also has a corresponding curve, and so this is anything but a flat copy lens. In this way, it distinguishes itself from almost all other industrial lenses. At f/1.2 it is fast and allows plenty of light in the viewfinder, which is great for old eyes. It has a narrow depth of field at its sharpest and I consider it a specialty lens, although the specialty is very desirable, that of allowing for sharp resolution in parts of the frame, but a Zen-like blur instead of standard bokeh, that, and the ability to make whole areas of color just go wild, well beyond a gradual decline.

As mentioned earlier, there is no focusing ring, but there is an aperture ring with 12 blades. The scalloped aperture ring as stops: 1.2, 1.4, 2, 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, and 11, all measured at infinity. The lens components were designed for handling particular phosphorus colors, I am told.

The CRT Nikkor can be used either on a DSLR (and focus rail) or attached to a bellows. The lens is made for 1:5, which means that even with the smallest adapter-extension, perhaps you can only reach something like 1:4. I use it on a focus rail.

If you a looking for an all-around lens, this is not it. As mentioned, this is a specialized lens, with all kinds of flaws. The contrast is average, and there is definitely lateral chromatic aberration a-plenty, and even some amount of longitudinal chromatic aberration. Since I usually only use APO lenses, why have one?

I love this lens because it forces me out-of-the-box despite myself. It is like a lens on an acid trip. The lens is very sharp when used correctly. As for myself, I tend to use it fairly wide open to record razor-thin depth-of-field, and I stack that depth of field (with many layers) to put the part of the image I want accented in high focus. Then, I let the rest of the image go wild with flare and bokeh. I happen to like that effect, but some don’t.

Perhaps the reason I like it is that it combines that part in me that wants to be exact, even scientific, with another part of me that has glimpses that this life we live is very ephemeral, like a dream we are having. So the flaring, surprise colors, and crazy bokeh represent the dreamer (and meditator) in me – something like that. Call it the Zen in me.

The lens has a long, Leica-mount thread (39mm) and comes with a jam nut. They turn up on Ebay fairly regularly for between $600-$1100 (2015).

In summary, with the CRT Nikkor, wide open (and fast), I can layer just the tip-of-the-top of some object, pushing that into focus. Then I contrast this with the rest of the image with is all bokeh -- out of focus. At least for me, this lens can be very much hit or miss, meaning that sometimes the results are miraculous, while at other times, only too average. In other words, this is lens is a little bit difficult to predict or control. With a little care, predictable (and desirable) results can be expected.

There is probably more I could say, but I will let the images do the talking. Here is a sample of what I have done with this lens. I hope you enjoy them. However, the lens is so flexible that of course you will develop your own style.

Focal Length: 54.3 mm
Widest Aperture: f/1.2
Narrowest Aperture: f/11
Aperture Blades: 12
Filter Size: 52mm
Hood: None standard
Close Focus Distance: 417.1mm overall working distance
Reproduction Ratio: 1/5x
Weight: 385g
Color:  Not corrected, 0% vignetting, 1.14% distortion
Rear Mount: M39
Resolution: 250 lines/mm
Image Area: 24x36
Standard wavelength: 400 - 650 milli-micron
Construction: 8 elements, 6 groups
Standard Magnification: 1/5.5X – 1/4X
Sharpest at f/4
Chromatic Aberation: Mild at center, more severe in the corners.
Axial CA: Some on out-of-focus details.

MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
Re: Useful Lenses for Close-Up Work: Nikkor-O (CRT) 55mm
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 13:30:27 »
Michael, you need to know that I am thoroughly enjoying your posts of flowers. This is no exception. The colors, the sharpness, the bokeh has your name written all over it. Thank you.
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 13:41:43 »
I agree with most of these comments. It is a lens one has to learn in order to utilise and unleash its potential.

However, once again the assertion that the lens has "non-standard 52 mm threads" is posited. I have no idea where that statement originated. All 55 mm f/1.2 Nikkor-O I have examined or used, have had ordinary 52 mm filter threads.

A K5 ring is perfect as a lens shade for the Nikkor-O.

The lens is indeed optimised for 1:4.4 to 1:5 reproduction, however, nothing prevents its use on say a mirrorless camera to get a wider reach. Be aware of the proliferation of curved image field and excessive spherical aberration, as indeed is to be expected from its design. On-axis sharpness keeps well up towards infinity, but elsewhere the frame gets very soft due to the field curvature and spherical aberrations.

First example is Wood Anemones against the Norwegian Flag, captured with a D3X. This shows the exquisite bokeh the CRT is capable of and the fact it illuminates the entire FX frame at around 1:4 scale. Nothing unexpected there except for the surprisingly good rendition of red colours.

Next example is a contrast between two kinds of dead trees, taken with the 1V1 (CX format). On a CX or m43 camera, the CRT can focus to infinity, but the aberrations caused by the lens being abused far outside its design domain are very evident. Sometimes even these wild artefacts can be used in a creative fashion, though, but keep in mind they can never be avoided no matter how far the lens is stopped down.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 13:47:48 »
Bjørn: I first learned of this lens from your work, and was first inspired to get out-of-the-box with it thanks to Akira, who posts here.

With your permission, I will add some of your corrections and notes to my post. It is a collection of what I have been able to find. People can pick from it what they find interesting.

Thanks for the note and thanks for what you have done for the community and my work!

Here is one I took with the CRT yesterday.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 13:59:26 »
Thanks Michael.

The CRT-Nikkor has the invaluable ability of rendering out-of-focus highlights as beautiful perfect circles. This is hoar frost on a spruce branch (Nikon D3X, 55 mm f/1.2 Nikkor-O).

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 14:11:53 »

A K5 ring is perfect as a lens shade for the Nikkor-O.

This is just so great! I just put the K5 Ring on my CRT and it rocks! Thanks!

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 14:14:39 »
Thank you for the information and the photos. I enjoyed reading it.
Peter

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 14:29:37 »
A street scene to illustrate the weird rendition of the CRT-Nikkor even on the small CX-format camera.

NB: there is nothing "wrong" with the lens, it is deliberately being abused by yours truly. Thus don't hold this drawing against the CRT-Nikkor, its inherent qualities shine once the lens is treated with more respect for its design domain.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 17:41:44 »
Michael, I'm humbled to be mentioned in this context.  But it is true that the CRT-Nikkor is one of the more inspiring lenses carrying the brand name.

I have used this optical gem for various formats from m4/3 to APS-C to full-frame, and have never gotten bored.  I used HS-10 hood originally designed for Ai 85/2.0 when I put the lens on the m4/3 or an APS-C bodies.

This is one of my favorite shot with the CRT via M2 tube on D7000, stopped down to f4.0.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 17:51:41 »
And this was shot on Panasonic G1 during the effort of figuring out how Bjørn had done the trick posted above.  :)

Mirabilis japala by Akira, on Flickr

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 18:10:24 »
Thanks for the effort! Some lovely samples Michael et al

Just a bit of info:
This lens is not a 'Micro-Nikkor' so maybe you should correct that,,,
To my knowledge there are at least two main versions; Nikon Nikkor-O and a Nippon Kogaku Nikkor-O.
I have never seen a Nikkor-CRT could be it was just a project name,,, like the Micro-Nikkor 5Cm f/3.5 (Rangefinder) that had the project name R-Nikkor for Reproduction-Nikkor, actually the first 'Micro-Nikkor'
There are also two different coatings at least,,,
The Non-Nikon 52mm threads appear many places,,, I have seen a mention on a reverse adapter with bayonet mount, on the Mir site where it's stated as it was not the usual Nikon,,,
Erik Lund

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 18:24:00 »
Erik, I realize that the "CRT-Nikkor" is rather a vernacular name of Nikkor-O 55/1.2, to avoid the confusion with the more common Niikkor-O 35/2.0 maybe?

Mine is a Nippon-Kogaku version bought from Vivek at a friendly price.  It has the most common 52mm filter thread which accepts any 52mm filters and BR-2A reverse-mount adapter ring with absolutely no problem

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 18:40:52 »
Akira, I just remembered that I have actually seen that reference before that the O is actually for 8 elements! Like the ordinary F-Mount lenses -So the “O” (for oscilloscope) is wrong i believe.

Otherwise it would be an O-Nikkor!!! Noct-Nikkor, Fisheye-Nikkor,,, etc

BTW it has 13 aperture blades, not 12 ;)
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 18:51:09 »
I just found it again;
http://www.nicovandijk.net/55specials.htm
Seems he's right on the money, also standard 52mm threads,,,
Erik Lund

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 19:03:22 »
Akira, I just remembered that I have actually seen that reference before that the O is actually for 8 elements! Like the ordinary F-Mount lenses -So the “O” (for oscilloscope) is wrong i believe.

Otherwise it would be an O-Nikkor!!! Noct-Nikkor, Fisheye-Nikkor,,, etc

BTW it has 13 aperture blades, not 12 ;)

I believe that the O suffix of pre-AI lenses is about the number of blades in the aperture (there is also H, hepta, P, penta, and so on).
But the Nikkor-O 55/1.2 is not part of that series of lenses for reflex cameras and the O indeed stands for oscilloscope.
Simone Tomasi