Author Topic: Useful Lenses for Close-Up Work: Nikkor-O (CRT) 55mm  (Read 17815 times)

JKoerner007

Re: Useful Lenses for Close-Up Work: Nikkor-O (CRT) 55mm
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2017, 18:29:32 »
Who would' think it?

Awwww. Now you're talkin' my language. Now that I see that image, it's OK with me if you get the CRT Nikkor.

Another image with the CRT Nikkor.

Heh-heh ...

Gorgeous image; the shapes and colors!

I have to go back to work ... but I rummaged though my archives and found another you might like (ironically taken 8 years ago, to the day: 11/17/09!), with the EOS 50D and the original 100 macro:

I will post some more this evening or over the weekend ... though I fear my own images are off-topic :(

If I obtain the Nikkor-O 55mm f/1.2 perhaps my additional flower shots will be more appropriate. Let these images, then, be my 'proof of interest' ;)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2017, 18:47:21 »
quite an esoteric thread for me with some wonderfully Magic examples. Thank you all for extending the options!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2017, 07:20:07 »
Michael, you need to know that I am thoroughly enjoying your posts of flowers. This is no exception. The colors, the sharpness, the bokeh has your name written all over it. Thank you.

++1
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

cqdiep

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2018, 17:06:50 »
How would this lens work if it's mounted on the Techart Pro autofocus adapter for the Sony mirrorless camera (http://techartpro.com/product/techart-pro-leica-m-sony-e-autofocus-adapter/)?

The Oracle speaks ...

Well, I think the question of number of aperture blades has been settled.

I' currently trying out the Nikkor-O on my Sony A7 through the appropriate adapters and a focusing helicoid. The lens *will* focus to infinity on this camera. However, if there is any quality at all left remains to be seen. This observation certainly will secure a continued interest for the Sony A-series from my point of view. I had nearly given up the system at this point.

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2018, 17:47:10 »
How would this lens work if it's mounted on the Techart Pro autofocus adapter for the Sony mirrorless camera (http://techartpro.com/product/techart-pro-leica-m-sony-e-autofocus-adapter/)?

I have doubts. That CRT Nikkor 1.2/55mm does have LTM (Leica M) threads, however the flange focal distance is not according to Leica standards. If a specifically made adapter would solve that, would have to be based on experiments.

formerly known as kds315

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2018, 12:57:48 »

A rough estimate using my lens delivered approx. 28mm from end of lens to image plane. Leica-M register is 28.8mm, so from that it is not that far away. Give it a try and report here!

formerly known as kds315

cqdiep

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2018, 15:10:21 »
Klaus, I'm new to photography and still learning the basic principles. I found this lens in a lot of old cameras that I bought for $50...lucky me! I'd like to use it for portraits of my son, not for macro/close-ups (although that would also be fun if I had the time). From what I know, pushing the lens away from the sensor makes it good for macro, and putting it close to the sensor would make it better for portraits (is that  correct?). The Techart Pro adaptor costs $350, so I'm not going to buy it unless I know for sure that it works. However, I did buy a basic M39-NEX adaptor for $8 to test out the 28.8mm flange distance and see how well that works for portraits (I'll stack a few M39 adapter rings to fine tune the flange distance). I have a question: if this lens has a fixed-focus distance optimized for its original use, would changing its focus distance (by moving the lens away or towards the sensor, and subsequently moving the subject accordingly to get it in focus) cause distortions/other problems?

Why do I want to use this lens for portraits? Because it's F1.2!!! Thanks for your input.

A rough estimate using my lens delivered approx. 28mm from end of lens to image plane. Leica-M register is 28.8mm, so from that it is not that far away. Give it a try and report here!

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2018, 16:14:35 »
I have a question: if this lens has a fixed-focus distance optimized for its original use, would changing its focus distance (by moving the lens away or towards the sensor, and subsequently moving the subject accordingly to get it in focus) cause distortions/other problems?

Why do I want to use this lens for portraits? Because it's F1.2!!! Thanks for your input.

Yes it will cause distortion and color fringing when used outside the design magnification. If you are taking portraits at a distance where the magnification is 1:5 then you will find it to be quite well corrected and sharp.

That may or may not be what you are looking for in a portrait lens. In fact, it is different from what people typically look for in a portrait lens. The typical portrait lens is usually designed to be faithful and kind to the human face. It need not be incredibly sharp (as most prefer their spots and pores and wrinkles and scars to be somewhat veiled. The portrait lens also is a bit longer than a normal lens to remove the proportional exaggeration which comes with close subjects. Portrait lenses also seek to have soft and smooth out of focus areas so as not to distract from the main subject.

The O Nikkor does not have those characteristics. It is nearly the opposite of what a portrait lens usually is.

As such it may be perfect for you, or just terrible.

Please show the results of your experiments!

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2018, 12:47:13 »
Klaus, I'm new to photography and still learning the basic principles. I found this lens in a lot of old cameras that I bought for $50...lucky me! I'd like to use it for portraits of my son, not for macro/close-ups (although that would also be fun if I had the time). From what I know, pushing the lens away from the sensor makes it good for macro, and putting it close to the sensor would make it better for portraits (is that  correct?). The Techart Pro adaptor costs $350, so I'm not going to buy it unless I know for sure that it works. However, I did buy a basic M39-NEX adaptor for $8 to test out the 28.8mm flange distance and see how well that works for portraits (I'll stack a few M39 adapter rings to fine tune the flange distance). I have a question: if this lens has a fixed-focus distance optimized for its original use, would changing its focus distance (by moving the lens away or towards the sensor, and subsequently moving the subject accordingly to get it in focus) cause distortions/other problems?

Lucky you!! That lens is around $500-600 now on ebay!!

I would get a focusing helicoid to try it out on your NEX camera, but you need two more pieces for that: a lens adapter ring M39-M42 and a camera adapter ring NEX-M42 to fit it to a slim M42 Helicoid. All available on ebay
formerly known as kds315

cqdiep

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2018, 15:23:25 »
Klaus + Jack, thanks for the input. Should I get the shorter helicoid instead of the longer one? I attached pics to confirm with you before buying.

Lucky you!! That lens is around $500-600 now on ebay!!

I would get a focusing helicoid to try it out on your NEX camera, but you need two more pieces for that: a lens adapter ring M39-M42 and a camera adapter ring NEX-M42 to fit it to a slim M42 Helicoid. All available on ebay

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2018, 17:48:10 »
Klaus + Jack, thanks for the input. Should I get the shorter helicoid instead of the longer one? I attached pics to confirm with you before buying.

Today I experimented with a thin M39 to m4/3 adapter and my CRT combo.  The m4/3 mount is too small for the M39 to go through, and the end of the long M39 stopped at the opening of the m4/3 adapter.  So, the distance between the mount of GH5 and the end of L39 thread of CRT was about the thickness of the adapter (a bit less than 2mm, I assume).

The combo turned out to be impossible to focus anything: near or at infinity.  I guess the CRT was too close to the sensor, well past infinity.

The combo described above should correspond to the 12-19 helix, M42-NEX adapter and M39-M42 combo.  Considering that the flange back of Sony NEX mount is about 2mm shorter than that of m4/3, and the M39 thread of CRT could pass through the opening of the mount, the 12-19 helix might be too short to focus to any portrait distances, perhaps even at infinity.

On the other hand, when the CRT (without the retaining ring) is mounted via Nikon BR-15 and F-to-m4/3 adapter, the lens will focus at around 1:5.  So, 35-90 helix could be too long and only for even larger magnification.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2018, 20:44:24 »
I tried with the shortest helicoid I have here, 12-20mm and it allowed from a bit over infinity to approx. 60cm (2 ft), on my Panasonic GH4 (a mft camera). Since the Sony-E register is 18mm and mft is 19.25mm, it will focus not as close and even a bit over infinity, but stil portraits shoudl be doable!
formerly known as kds315

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2018, 22:18:24 »
I tried this a few years ago on a Nikon V1. I used a very small helicoid and could focus to infinity or near infinity, not really sure. I think I remember I had to add a spacer or two. The V1 register is 17mm.

I could not get interesting results and have not tried again since.
Bruno Schröder

cqdiep

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2018, 00:59:36 »
If it focuses at/near infinity, wouldn't that minimize the bokeh, which is ideal for portraits?

I tried with the shortest helicoid I have here, 12-20mm and it allowed from a bit over infinity to approx. 60cm (2 ft), on my Panasonic GH4 (a mft camera). Since the Sony-E register is 18mm and mft is 19.25mm, it will focus not as close and even a bit over infinity, but stil portraits shoudl be doable!

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2018, 01:09:16 »
If it focuses at/near infinity, wouldn't that minimize the bokeh, which is ideal for portraits?

Not really. Almost every camera lens focuses at infinity if it is in the right position with regard to the imaging medium (film, digital sensor ...). Bokeh refers to the out of focus areas. It is qualitative, therefore you don’t really minimize or maximize it. You do get more depth of field the further you are away from an object, however, the object is smaller so you don’t really gain much by doing so. A portrait with the person a half mile away is rather useless.

I’m not sure what you are saying is “ideal for portraits”. Portraits can be wonderful if they are sharp and detailed, or soft and dreamy. There is no “ideal”.

It seems you are thinking that a very small depth of field is a good thing for portraits, therefore this lens shot wide open will be good. I am not expecting that you will be all that satisfied with it. But hope you try and show what you have achieved.