Author Topic: Useful Lenses for Close-Up Photography: El Nikkor 105mm APO f/5.6.  (Read 38692 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
This is the first in what I intend to be a short series on lenses I frequently use and value. Not sure if these comments will interest anyone here, in which case I will not post more and instead just collect my information as part of my own free e-books. I start with the El Nikkor 105mm APO f/5.6.

The El Nikkor 105mm APO (not the same as the standard El Nikkor 105mm) is a very special and useful lens for my close-up work. It is also incredibly expensive and often hard to find. IMO, it is well worth the trouble and money considering what it does.

The “EL” in El Nikkor means “Enlarging,” which is what this lens was designed for back in the 1960s. It is a favorite lens of the enlarger-lens crowd, if not “The” favorite. A second group that are into this lens are the coin-imagining folks, who also value this lens a lot, but point out it is way too expensive for most of the coin collectors, which leaves the photographers. I, for one, love it and find it invaluable for my work.

There are two versions of this APO lens and I am told these two APO versions represent a short production run. Both versions were manufactured in Japan. The earlier version, which I do not have, has a high f/stop of f/45, while my version stops at f/32. I never use the higher f/stops anyway.  The lens has an aperture ring, but no focus ring. The lens mount (rear) is M39, so an M39 to Nikon F-Mount works fine. This lens is sharpest wide open, for which it was designed for, at f/5.6, but holds the sharpness for a couple stops.

Although the lens is very sharp, it is slightly sharper in the center, than in the corners. The lens can be reversed for magnification greater than 1:1, which I never have tried. I use it only for close-up work, not macro, in the standard orientation. I mentioned earlier: do not confuse the APO version with the non-APO version. They are not similar in quality as to correction.

Unlike many enlarging lens that I use, the El Nikkor 105mm APO (on the Nikon PB-04 Bellows) covers a wider range of focus distance than many other industrial lenses I have, so it is good very close-up as well as quite far back. This alone makes it very, very useful.

In my work, I use it on the Nikon PB-4 Bellows, currently with the Nikon D810 and a short extension ring (PK-12 = 14mm) to mount the D810 on the rear of the Bellows so that it clears the rail. I also use it on the Rollei X-Act 2 Bellows technical camera. I can use it directly on my Nikon D810, using a narrow helicoid as extension and focus ring. This works well, but in a more limited way than on the bellows.

The color and contrast is good, with no decentering, and the lens is very sharp. Also, it has its own character, which is especially useful in photographing very detailed objects. In my work, this lens can produce an almost 3D sense to a photo.

Of course, this is not a walk-around lens or a general-purpose lens. It is a specialized lens, but one I find myself using more and more often, although mostly in the studio. On clear, windless days, taking this lens outdoors on the Nikon PB-4 is not a problem, but it is not something I would backpack, etc. Mounted, using a short helicoid, also makes field work with the lens very possible.

This is not a copy lens, not something I would use for forensic or reproduction work. It is a slow lens, but one with loads of character. I consider it one of the more wonderful and most valuable lenses that I have ever used.

Lens Type: Enlarging
Produced: 1960s
Price 2016: $3000
Lens Mount: M39
Front Lens Cap: Mine came with a solid-metal screw-off lens cap, which I have replaced with a 43mm>52mm step-up ring, where I then have a 52>77m step-up ring to hold filters at 77mm.
Focal Length: 104.3 mm
Blades: 8

Nikon describes this lens as follows:

“The Apo-EL-Nikkor series of lenses are true Apochromat photo-enlarging lenses with chromatic aberration corrected not only for the entire visible range of the spectrum, but also in near ultraviolet and near infrared ranges (380-700 nm). They are all 8-element, 4-group designs with maximum-minimum aperture of f/5.6-45 or f/5.6-32.”

Note: All of my most used “stylistic” lenses have step-up rings to bring the lens to 77mm, so that I can use the same circular polarizer or ND filter. That is what you see in the photos of my equipment.

Sample photo taken with the El Nikkor 105mm APO
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

FredCrowBear

• NG Supporter
  • Frederick V. Ramsey
Re: Useful Close-Up Lenses: El Nikkor 105mm APO f/5.6.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 19:20:13 »
Michael - Thanks for sharing your setups.  I am always curious how you mechanically do what you do.  Thanks.
Frederick V. Ramsey

pluton

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 19:40:00 »
Thanks for posting this...I finally got to see a photo of the mysterious 105 APO.  the whole setup is interesting to see also.  I hope to find  a 105 APO cheap at a garage sale someday....but I'm not counting on it!
By the way, if your D810 is like my D800, it can be mounted on the PB-4 without a spacer.  One must employ the 90º rotation feature of the PB-4's camera mount.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

charlie

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 19:50:44 »
Thanks for posting this...I finally got to see a photo of the mysterious 105 APO.  the whole setup is interesting to see also.  I hope to find  a 105 APO cheap at a garage sale someday....but I'm not counting on it!

Ha, I fantasize about finding rare lenses at flea markets, thrift stores, and garage sales too!
No luck yet.

Thomas G

• NG Supporter
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 20:14:12 »
Great and valuable stuff, Michael. Very interesting, good reading. Thanks for taking the effort and posting!
-/-/-

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 21:26:00 »
I hope to find  a 105 APO cheap at a garage sale someday....but I'm not counting on it!

Me too! Hope springs.....

What an awesome setup for macro work! Very interesting to see. Thanks!

typestar

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 21:39:46 »
Michael,

nice to see that you love the EL-APO 105 so much, which you got from me, some years ago now...
including a special anodized custom-made lens-shade ;-)
In the description of your setup is missing, that you use the EL-APO with this lens shade
mounted on the original -edit:  35,5 x 0,5 mm front thread

Keep us provided with beautiful shots like this,

Christian

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 21:48:12 »
Michael,

nice to see that you love the EL-APO 105 so much, which you got from me, some years ago now...
including a special anodized custom-made lens-shade ;-)
In the description of your setup is missing, that you use the EL-APO with this lens shade
mounted on the original 40,5 x 0,5 mm front thread

Christian

I don't think I do use a sun shade. Do you see it? I don't. Have you a photo of it?
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

typestar

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 22:35:13 »
I don't think I do use a sun shade. Do you see it? I don't. Have you a photo of it?

Michael, I have provided the lens-shade mounted on the lens, when I sold all to you, included the "solid-metal screw-off lens cap", which you describe;  I do not have a photo of it anymore, but it is a short, on the outer barrel shiny custom-made anodized shade,  fitting the lens front thread of the unusual M 35,5 x 0,5 up to M43 x 0,75 for some "classic" protection lens-cap...
[ -- to correct my first posting:  the front thread of the lens is unusual M 35,5 x 0,5 ;  not 40,5 mm,
therefore a unorthodox front thread of the EL-APO 105, which made a custom-made shade necessary in order to provide easy handling on the front.]

This drawing below from the catalogue shows your newer version EL-APO 5.6/105 mm, f/stop 32;  technical details are
hard to read...;  your posted technical drawing shows the old model of the 105 mm lens, not your N-version.

The above described lens/protection shade it is to be seen on your setup here...  You can unscrew it from the lens. On the M 43 x 0,75 mm front thread of the shade (the lens itself is M 35,5) - you have screwed in further step-up rings, then. Am I wrong? 

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 23:22:26 »
Michael, I have provided the lens-shade mounted on the lens, when I sold all to you, included the "solid-metal screw-off lens cap", which you describe;  I do not have a photo of it anymore, but it is a short, on the outer barrel shiny custom-made anodized shade,  fitting the lens front thread of the unusual M 35,5 x 0,5 up to M43 x 0,75 for some "classic" protection lens-cap...
[ -- to correct my first posting:  the front thread of the lens is unusual M 35,5 x 0,5 ;  not 40,5 mm,
therefore a unorthodox front thread of the EL-APO 105, which made a custom-made shade necessary in order to provide easy handling on the front.]

This drawing below from the catalogue shows your newer version EL-APO 5.6/105 mm, f/stop 32;  technical details are
hard to read...;  your posted technical drawing shows the old model of the 105 mm lens, not your N-version.

The above described lens/protection shade it is to be seen on your setup here...  You can unscrew it from the lens. On the M 43 x 0,75 mm front thread of the shade (the lens itself is M 35,5) - you have screwed in further step-up rings, then. Am I wrong?

I will have to check it out. Sure, I have the screw-in cap, and I know the thread is unusual, so I will look tomorrow for the shade, if I understand you right.

typestar

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 23:32:35 »
I will have to check it out. Sure, I have the screw-in cap, and I know the thread is unusual, so I will look tomorrow for the shade, if I understand you right.

yes, please; as the provided custom-made shade is short and had been made to aestically fit the lens-barrel,
The shade itself is therefore a kind of necessary step-up to provide a more common M43 x 0,75 mm thread.
I believe, one /you could have taken this shade as a part of the lens itself   ;-)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 23:38:17 »
yes, please; as the provided custom-made shade is short and had been made to aestically fit the lens-barrel,
I believe, one could have taken it as a part of the lens itself   ;-)

I don't see anything "shiny" there.

typestar

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 23:42:46 »
I don't see anything "shiny" there.

the provided shade is a little more "glossy" outside in comparison to the more "matte" barrel
of the lens.  you can unscrew it and will see the "naked" lens with its narrower thread.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 23:47:17 »
the provided shade is a little more "glossy" outside in comparison to the more "matte" barrel
of the lens.  you can unscrew it and will see the "naked" lens with its narrower thread.

I took a run up to the studio and yes, the lens shade is there and well. I must have just assumed it was a standard issue. I now have set-up up rings off of that to hold filters. Thanks!

Kim Pilegaard

• "Nikea"
  • NG Supporter
  • Copenhagen
    • Profile at Nature Photographers in Denmark
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2016, 08:16:50 »
I notice you use the Zacuto Z-finder. Could you please comment on the benefits of this finder and on the way you attach it to the LCD screen?
Kim