Author Topic: Crete for NG Come-together in April, 2017?  (Read 13348 times)

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
Re: Crete for NG Come-together in April, 2017?
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2016, 15:34:08 »
1. What is the main purpose of the event. Just photography or photography and other things
Comradeship, exchange of knowledge and gear, enjoying the local cuisines and yes also photography :)

2. What will be the size of the group (approximately)
On average somewhere between 10 and 20

3. How will the group go to the intended places for photography.
Usually by car

4. what will be photographed? flowers, birds, animal, landscape, people.
What ever presents them selves, some will shoot flowers for hours while other move on to other things to shoot.

5. Is the group to go aroung as one body or different members will go to different places.
Depends, some days the whole group goes out and on other days splinter groups chase different goals.

So in other words a pretty flexible setup is needed ;D

Love the idea btw, never had the fortune to visit Greece so I am definitely interested.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2016, 15:39:15 »
The Scotland event comprises about 20 persons. Earlier Events have been smaller, perhaps just 10 (rattling numbers off my head, must consult other parties to come up with more exact figures).

NG members are individualistic and probably never will act, or relocate, as a single coherent group. The typical solution is groups of 2-4 persons sharing a rental car and exploring the locations around the main site. Either working towards a general common target or according to their own plans. People shoot virtually everything under the sun and then some.

We tend to aggregate in the evenings for talks about the day's activities and share photo experiences. Some take the opportunity to borrow gear from other members for testing. some times we run a 'chipping' shop. and so on. Everything is informal and enjoyable.

Thus an accommodation facility with a room big enough to gather all people at once is ideal. No need for luxury otherwise although decent wi-fi & internet access would be desirable.

By booking in advance it is usually possible to get a good price. Visiting in the off season might help towards the same goal.

If you read through the current thread(s) on the upcoming Scottish Event you'll get a good grasp of what such a come-together entails.

elsid

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2016, 22:40:36 »
OK guys, I get the spirit of it. A bunch of young (at heart) tameless males will do their thing.
If you agree I could try  to book the hotel for the whole group, once we have the final number of participants. I might be able to negotiate a better price as long as our stay is not during Easter. Prices go up on high season, but also on holidays and Easter is the biggest holiday in Greece (plus the foreign tourists). I would propose the week April 2-9. The hotel I stayed in Chania would fit. It has wifi, so we can access the web and a buffet breakfast. The rooms are not particularly big for 20 people, but there is sitting space near the reception. I will try to locate other hotels near the area, which is a 5 minute walk from the old port of Chania. The sooner we have the number of participants the better. I will try to call the Cretan who was our guide and lives in Chania, and get some info about places that are worth visiting, (you can do the same on the net).
The ships for Crete have nice 2 and 4 bed cabins. we can sleep during the night comfortably. Hertz has offices in Chania, early booking is wise.
Let me know if I can help in any other way. I am about to create a new thread with pictures from the port of Chania.
Never measure the height of a mountain until you reach its top

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2016, 23:00:40 »
Everything is a lot more enjoyable with less tourists around :)
Cheers,
Jan Anne

elsid

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2016, 23:11:54 »
I agree with you Jan 100%. That is why I never go on vacation in Greece during high season or holidays.
Never measure the height of a mountain until you reach its top

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2016, 23:53:37 »
There are flights from the UK direct to Chania.  Assuming I am able to come along, this will be my route.
Anthony Macaulay

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2016, 00:20:05 »
Direct connection Oslo to Chania is limited in the off season. But probably easy to go through some of the main hubs to get there.

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2016, 10:00:19 »
Interesting for sure.

ElSid: You're in for a treat, that's for sure. These come-togethers are awesome and I'm very envy of the people soon gathering in Scotland!
Jørgen Ramskov

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2016, 12:39:49 »
Never been to Greece. Yet I try to avoid air traffic due to environmental considerations.....

It is ten days by bicycle to Greece and ten days back. Currently there is no war going on on the track.

Only trouble at the borders if you are non European.

A lot can happen in one year.

May I decide later ... say by christmas?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2016, 13:45:33 »
Frank: there is plenty of time to consider. No sign-up list has yet been posted.

Cycling through continental Europe? You'll be fit as a fiddle when you eventually arrive, if not a big truck gets you first :(

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2016, 14:09:37 »
What about travel by train? much less pedalling and time to read and contemplate. Or process backlogged files.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2016, 14:54:23 »
Train? Maybe. Costs 5 times the airfare. Or Bus? Plenty of shooting opportonities on the way....
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2016, 15:04:23 »
Frank, isn't there a supplement that you can pay with your plane ticket for the reduction of C02 emissions?
The money should go to various projects like planting trees in Finland...
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2016, 15:26:40 »
Buy a Tesla?
Jørgen Ramskov

Geomiljo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2016, 09:52:45 »
Just started looking at travel options.

Seems that Norwegian are flying directly to Charnia from Copenhagen in April, and the prices are low (with early reservations I assume).

/Johan