Author Topic: Crete for NG Come-together in April, 2017?  (Read 13347 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Crete for NG Come-together in April, 2017?
« on: March 31, 2016, 10:35:24 »
As a spin-off from the thread initiated by member 'elsid', I'm putting Crete up as a candidate for an NG Event in spring of 2017. Perhaps March or early April, depending on what climate conditions are most conducive to non-locals.

Comments and suggestions are most welcome.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Crete for NG Come-together in April, 2017?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 12:23:36 »
Sounds like a great idea ;) Weather should be nice at that time of the year  8)
Erik Lund

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 12:48:54 »
Wonderful idea! I've been to Crete (only the Chania part) it was undoubtedly the best part during my Greece trip. It's a beautiful island and people are extremely nice, very welcoming and heart warming.
March/April aren't high season, so accommodation, food, airfare everything is cheaper. Moderately warm weather with occasional overcast sky. Water during those months can be little cold for swim (at least for someone who comes from tropical weather).  :)
Anirban Halder

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 13:46:04 »
Humm... what an attractive idea.
I went to western Crete with my wife in 2010 and loved it, there were still so many things left to do at the end of our brief stay...
Not so interested in the flowers but there are sea, gorges and mountains to explore.
It seems a little difficult to "sell" it to my wife though, but will think seriously about it.
Simone Tomasi

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 13:57:37 »
Been to Crete only once myself and that was in the late autumn. Few flowers at that time plus must be close to 30 years for my last visit. However, impressions of landscapes, villages, nice small restaurants, ancient architecture and sculptures, friendly people, and so on still linger in my mind.

The hard-core version of this suggestion is of course starting in Athens, go by train to Piraeus, then hop onboard one of the many coastal liners to eventually arrive to Crete. Or abandon ship on any of the small islands that are dotted all over the Aegean Sea. I did a similar trip with one of the early wives in the late '70s.

elsid

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 21:37:17 »
I have started reverse counting, looking forward to the day you will come to Greece. I have been to Crete twice. In 1981 and last week.
The island is beautiful and covers many interests. The western half is mountainous, scenic, with many gorges, etc. I agree with Anirban and would propose April 1-15 as the time interval for the NG come-together. The ships for Crete leave the port of Piraeus around 21:00 and arrive at the
port of destination 06:00-06:30. The ship does not stop at other islands (so we will not lose Bjorn).  I suggest Chania as the place to stay.
Guys, you are in for a treat. I will be glad to help anyway I can. Early planning for booking ship tickets, hotel, etc is necessary.
For the members that live in northern countries and are used to cold weather, bring your bathing trunks. You will not be able to resist the color
and the temperature of the sea water.
Never measure the height of a mountain until you reach its top

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 21:42:36 »
Great news.

Having a local organiser is a tremendous asset for such NG Events.

I suggest we make Crete as the official NG venue for the spring event in 2017.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 22:22:36 »
That sounds very attractive ;)

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 23:42:44 »
I agree. It seems very tempting. Hopefully I will be able to participate if I am able to be granted a leave of abcense from work and domestic duties ::)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 23:45:23 »
Børge: you have nearly a year of convincing your SigOther this is a great idea. Or bring her with you.

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 00:26:41 »
The last suggestion might do the trick 8)

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 08:59:51 »
Easter Sunday 2017 (both Latin and Greek Orthodox) is on 16 April.

Implications include demand for flights from Northern Europe, Greek and foreign demand for accommodation, family commitments which may limit some people's availability, and the chance of observing and participating in Cretan Easter festivals.

The last of these is particularly attractive to me.

As for the overnight ferry from Piraeus, I have done that several times.  Uncomfortable, slow and boring.  Did I say uncomfortable?  I recommend a direct flight.
Anthony Macaulay

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 09:05:04 »
We could agree on a fixed starting point and location on Crete and let the participants decide how to get there.

A ferry ride with other NG members could turn into an event of its own.

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 14:14:43 »
It is indeed uncomfortable if you stay inside. I have very good memories of the 4 nights I spent on this ferry, with the deck only cheapest ticket , but I was much younger and it was end of the 70ties. I agree with Bjørn that a ferry ride with other members would be worth living. I would immediately join it. Not sure of the freshness level on the next day though.
Bruno Schröder

elsid

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2016, 15:18:17 »
As I am a new member and have no experience/knowledge what a come-together is like, let me touch some points (refering to the 2017 event)
1. What is the main purpose of the event. Just photography or photography and other things
2. What will be the size of the group (approximately)
3. How will the group go to the intended places for photography.
4. what will be photographed? flowers, birds, animal, landscape, people.
5. Is the group to go aroung as one body or different members will go to different places.
Could you, please, give me some idea, so I can propose some ways of action.
Let me tell you about my last trip. It was organized by the Greek Ornithology Society (member of  Birdlife International). 45 people in the group. Some photographers (one professional) and mostly birdwatchers. When we disembarked, a bus was waiting for us. We did not go to the hotel until the end of the day's planned activities. We headed straight to the entrance of the Samaria gorge. We split in 2 groups (with 2 guides) due to different physical condition of the people, and we went up 2 different mountain paths. Some people, very few,just went for coffee. We reunited at the time agreed and went for lunch. All 3 days we spent there the group was moving in one body with the bus, with the help of a couple of local guides. I run out of space. I will come back later tonight. The trip with the boat is recommeded. Sea birds under the boat's lights.
Never measure the height of a mountain until you reach its top