Author Topic: [Theme] Sunrise to Sunset  (Read 41156 times)

Mike Wallace

• NG Member
  • Apple Valley, California
[Theme] Sunrise to Sunset
« on: March 30, 2016, 05:03:15 »
Let's see your sun shots.  :)  Living in the desert, it is one of my favorite things to shoot.  Here is tonight's sunset.  Taken in Apple Valley, California.  Nikon D800E/Rokinon 14mm 2.8
Mike Wallace

charlie

• NG Supporter
Re: Sunrise to Sunset
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 05:13:35 »
Hi, Mike

I was just an hour down the road from you in Pioneertown this past weekend  :)
I love it out there in the desert, haven't spent to much time in Apple Valley though.

Mike Wallace

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 05:28:20 »
Hi, Mike

I was just an hour down the road from you in Pioneertown this past weekend  :)
I love it out there in the desert, haven't spent to much time in Apple Valley though.

You did at least wave as you jetted down the 15, I hope!   :)

I have only lived out here for a few years myself.  Originally from down the hill in Orange County.  I really enjoy being away from the hustle and bustle of the city and burbs. I am still only 90 minutes from the "life" if I feel the need. 

Never been to Pioneer Town.  Is that like Calico Ghost Town in Barstow?  I'll have to look it up.  I hope to get a small 4WD next year and really take advantage of the area.  :)

Mike Wallace

charlie

• NG Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 05:51:08 »
Oh you've got to go to Pioneertown. It is just a few minutes outside of Joshua Tree/Yucca Valley. They originally built the town to film old westerns there I believe, but the main draw these days is Pappy & Harriets bar and restaurant. It's kind of the only thing there. Delicious food and good music.

We take our Jeep out there from time to time. There's a fun 4WD road that connects Big Bear and Pioneetown.

Mike Wallace

• NG Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 06:10:16 »
Thanks for the tip Charlie.  Added to the "must do" list!!!  :)
Mike Wallace

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 20:01:09 »
nice pic Mike.

I always find it difficult to shoot when the sun is in that position - (small and low) never know where to put it in the frame.
The attached photo was taken 9 years and 10 days ago. I trip I will never forget.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 20:41:01 »
I often find the mundane 'flogged to death' subject of a sunset more entertaining when the sun itself is not directly within the frame. The long transition between day and nightfall at the high latitudes in summer is ideal for such photographic enjoyment. The sky colour changes are as delicate as they are amazing.

Mike Wallace

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 22:06:38 »
nice pic Mike.

I always find it difficult to shoot when the sun is in that position - (small and low) never know where to put it in the frame.
The attached photo was taken 9 years and 10 days ago. I trip I will never forget.

What a beautiful shot Elsa!  An unforgettable trip with an unforgettable capture!

I find sunsets challenging also.  So many factors involved.  Location, time of year, cloud cover etc.  But they can be very rewarding.  You really never know what you are going to get until you start to process them.  :) 
Mike Wallace

Mike Wallace

• NG Member
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 22:10:30 »
I often find the mundane 'flogged to death' subject of a sunset more entertaining when the sun itself is not directly within the frame. The long transition between day and nightfall at the high latitudes in summer is ideal for such photographic enjoyment. The sky colour changes are as delicate as they are amazing.

I do agree with you.  Typically the best, most interesting colors are not display until the sun has dipped below the horizon.  What a very creative, interesting and beautiful shot Bjorn!

Mike Wallace

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 22:11:21 »
Sometimes all things click into position seen visually, but you aren't there at the proper place. Then run like the wind to make the image happen. As the image is already pre-formed, all that remains is get there and snap the picture.

The components of this snapshot are readily available of course, but I needed to get there quickly as the window of opportunity was extremely narrow. Can you see what the parts making up this picture are? (very simple and obvious answer, by the way)

Mike Wallace

• NG Member
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 22:14:44 »
Here is one of my favorite "sun in the frame" photo's.  Taken just down the street from where I live here in Apple Valley. 
Mike Wallace

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 22:56:14 »
Sometimes all things click into position seen visually, but you aren't there at the proper place. Then run like the wind to make the image happen. As the image is already pre-formed, all that remains is get there and snap the picture.

The components of this snapshot are readily available of course, but I needed to get there quickly as the window of opportunity was extremely narrow. Can you see what the parts making up this picture are? (very simple and obvious answer, by the way)
Lovely, dreamy and warm :) Reflections in a car?

Mike Wallace

• NG Member
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 23:03:50 »
Here's one with some reflection. 
Mike Wallace

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 23:15:33 »
The desert sun sure looks warm :) Hoping for a warm summer under the northern sky as well.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 23:27:34 »
What a wonderful idea for a thread Mike!
I shot a few suns myself  8)
This is the summer sun in Tallinn, Estonia.
Shot through the hotel window in IR, D200 + 300/4.5.
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen