Author Topic: about a cake  (Read 1778 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
about a cake
« on: March 29, 2016, 20:39:25 »
My wonderful wife made a wonderful cake. It did even taste better than it looked. Trouble with "professional" bakery products is often they look perfect but taste so so. I sing the praise of this cake in some barren pictures...
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

charlie

• NG Supporter
Re: about a cake
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 20:57:17 »
That is a good looking cake.

The first shot feels unbalanced, the vase on the left doesn't seem to serve a purpose in the composition. The details pictures of the cake are good. The last photograph, the action shot, I really like. Perhaps if the glassware in the background at the top of the frame was not there it would be even stronger, but I think it works well regardless. Great light.

Are these made with the 35mm ais?

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 21:33:23 »
Looks likes yummy !

Last one is my fav : you just applied the piece of advice you gave me recently and I have to say that it works well. :)

An overall lack of DOF according my feelings, but stopping down would certainly require some artificial light, I guess ?

I am getting hungry now... :P
Francis Devrainne

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 22:14:24 »
Frank, can I have a piece?
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 23:43:37 »
These pictures were taken on 5/5/2009 with Nikon D3 and Micro Nikkor 60mm, I cannnot say which. Light is daylight from a set of windows

Pictures were taken spontaneously and Charlie your are spot on with your observation and critique.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 22:46:12 »
 a cake worth photographing is usually a cake worth eating (in this case at least). Mongo feels like each image is a chapter in the various aspects of the life of this cake - each gets us closer and more involved with it's it true nature. Must agree with what you said - some professional images do look too perfect (and unreal) and the subject can be very so so in the tasting. This cake looks very real and  homemade.

Now, the important question. When does Mongo get his slice and how do you intend to achieve the home delivery ?    ;D