Author Topic: Chipping a Nikkor - A Walk-through  (Read 16518 times)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Chipping a Nikkor - A Walk-through
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2019, 19:31:45 »
No, I have sold off nearly all of my inventory and have no plans for new production batches. Too much money to invest and too much hassle with orders and helping people getting into trouble with their chipping projects.

I do have a few handful of chips and parts to ensure I can process own new lenses if need arises 2-3 times a year. That's all.

I take the opportunity to say the current situation is a pity as the Z cameras do benefit from having chipped lenses. (like the Nikon DSLRs in that respect, in particular the middle- to lower-end models).

acgiannopo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2019, 20:06:46 »
Thank you for your answer. Would you recommend using the dandelion ones?

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2019, 20:11:59 »
At present there are hardly any alternatives. Do note the dandelions are infamous for being brittle and breaking up. Thus it is paramount they are mounted to make the contact pins rub a minimum against the camera contacts when the lens is mounted or removed. Having a lens jammed or the chip falling into the mirror box in the field can be troublesome to say the least

AI and AI'd lenses do not comply well with the logic of Dandelion programming, at least they didn't the last time I tried the combination. Thus stick to AIS lenses.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2019, 20:21:04 »
This is Erik's solution with the Dandelion and the 50/1.2, by the way. Even when "hidden" and supported like this, I have had failures of the dandelion chip.

acgiannopo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2019, 20:36:12 »
Are they just glued or solderd on the flange? I wonder if this an appropriate way of just gluing the pins in every lens. Thank you for posting this image, i guess it's a lot helping for everyone having a 50mm f/1.2 ai-s

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2019, 20:51:39 »
The pins need to be able to move in-out. They are spring-loaded.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2019, 07:50:26 »
There are some images and info on Dandelions in this thread:

http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,6603.0.html

As B states, fragile and only recommended as last solution,,,

BTW plenty of threads here if you search for Dandelion

Here with B's CPU version, The real thing ;)

35mm 1.4 Ais
http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,3459.15.html

58mm 1.2 Ai
http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,276.0.html
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2019, 14:37:36 »
I would not recommend doing this unless you are a skilled DIY, and are willing to buy a handful of Dandelions and try it out.

I think B. has chipped more or less all manual focus Nikkor-F lenses, except a few for obvious reasons.

One we didn't chip was the rental 6mm f/2.8 Ais i used in Scotland  :o

The image B posted above with a Dandelion is actually a 50mm 1.2 Ais - I done that one 3 times as well as 55mm 1.2

Please note there is very big difference between Dandelion and the real CPU implementation for these super fast lenses
Erik Lund

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2019, 18:10:44 »
I would not recommend doing this unless you are a skilled DIY, and are willing to buy a handful of Dandelions and try it out.

I think B. has chipped more or less all manual focus Nikkor-F lenses, except a few for obvious reasons.

One we didn't chip was the rental 6mm f/2.8 Ais i used in Scotland  :o

The image B posted above with a Dandelion is actually a 50mm 1.2 Ais - I done that one 3 times as well as 55mm 1.2

Please note there is very big difference between Dandelion and the real CPU implementation for these super fast lenses

What sort of data and what sort of protocol do the chips use? I know Birna doesn't want to make any more, but maybe if there is some interest someone will pick it up.