Author Topic: Old School Nikon Primes  (Read 86767 times)

John Koerner

Old School Nikon Primes
« on: March 26, 2016, 21:42:51 »
Hi.

I made a post or two here awhile back and have just switched from Canon to Nikon. Seems like there is an almost cult-like following for elder Nikon lenses.

With that said, in today's fast-paced world of auto-this, and auto-that, button-pushing quickness ... I found it refreshing that Nikon still made old-school, 100% manual lenses ... which don't seem to be talked about much. What makes it even more astonishing to me is that, by most accounts, these old-school fully-manual lenses still perform better than every "fully-automatic" equivalent that Nikon makes. Because of this, I have purchased the following lenses:
These lenses are ridiculously-inexpensive, I guess because so many people gravitate to "fully-auto" lenses these days, so I am curious to know others' experience with these lenses.

Another nice thing about these lenses is their manual-aperture, which allows them to be reverse-mounted and serve as macro lenses, still retaining total aperture control (whereas auto lenses lose this control, when reversed), making each of these gems (essentially) "2 lenses in 1," and a bargain for what you get :D

Jack

null

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Old School Nikon Primes
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 22:09:34 »
Great line-up for manual focus Nikkors. There are also many discontinued Nikkor lenses that can be bought in EX+to Mint condition for great prices. The 85/2, 135/2.8, and 200/4 Ai and Ais series would fill in the longer focal lengths for you...

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 22:38:00 »
Anyone familiar with the Nikon Df and the lore surrounding this camera will be  well versed in what MF lenses work the best. There is no need to buy factory new lenses as the second-hand market is immense and many alternatives are easy to get hold of. If one has the patience, the more scarce gems of the manual-lens era also can be sourced.

The synergetic MF Nikkor is the legendary 105 mm f/2.5. Select the version that  best suits its intended use. personally I favour the AI, but the early "Sonnar" has many followers as well.

Virtually all of these Nikkors can be CPU-modified to further enhance their versatility with newer cameras.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 22:43:21 »
An example of basic kit alternatives for the Nikon Df. Do note the CPU contacts.

John Koerner

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 22:44:20 »
Great line-up for manual focus Nikkors. There are also many discontinued Nikkor lenses that can be bought in EX+to Mint condition for great prices. The 85/2, 135/2.8, and 200/4 Ai and Ais series would fill in the longer focal lengths for you...

Thank you.

Interesting :)

John Koerner

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 22:45:18 »
Anyone familiar with the Nikon Df and the lore surrounding this camera will be  well versed in what MF lenses work the best.

Well, seeing as I just switched systems, that would exclude me  :D

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 22:49:07 »
We do our best to enlighten you, then  ...

John Koerner

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 22:51:40 »
We do our best to enlighten you, then  ...

Thank you!

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 22:58:47 »
Some stuff can be seen in the 'Reviews' section. Or you can just ask, lots of knowledgeable members here to help you find your way through the Nikkor jungle. Never kept tally of their total number, but with all the versions thrown in, there must be hundreds of them.

Roland Vink's site is an excellent starting point to acquaint yourself with the myriad of Nikkors

http://photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/index.html

John Koerner

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2016, 23:03:40 »
There is no need to buy factory new lenses as the second-hand market is immense and many alternatives are easy to get hold of. If one has the patience, the more scarce gems of the manual-lens era also can be sourced.

Well, there is a need. I work a lot of hours and don't have the time to troll eBay for obscure lenses. (In fact, I created this thread to "mine for ideas," so I appreciate the responses.)

One thing I did find, for example, is a slightly opposing view.

For example, the revered Noct Nikkor 58 (priced at $3,000 used) was actually considered less desirable overall in this review as the ordinary Nikon NIKKOR 50mm f/1.2 in this review (same reviewer).

Maybe the Noct has a couple of peculiar qualities that distinguish it ... but is it really worth a $2,400 price difference? (Doesn't seem so, based on these review.)

I would rather pay $700 for a brand-new, untouched, literally mint 50mm f/1.2 lens ... that is better than any other elder lens except (maybe) the Noct ... than spend hours online (time = money) saving a couple-hundred for a used iteration.

I am thinking that, soon, these old (now, brand-new) lenses may someday be collector's items ???

The synergetic MF Nikkor is the legendary 105 mm f/2.5. Select the version that  best suits its intended use. personally I favour the AI, but the early "Sonnar" has many followers as well.

Thanks for the tip!

Virtually all of these Nikkors can be CPU-modified to further enhance their versatility with newer cameras.

I have thought about doing this with a Voigtländer I have ... but I am starting to like the idea of "off the grid" lenses  ;D

Jack

John Koerner

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2016, 23:05:29 »
Some stuff can be seen in the 'Reviews' section. Or you can just ask, lots of knowledgeable members here to help you find your way through the Nikkor jungle. Never kept tally of their total number, but with all the versions thrown in, there must be hundreds of them.

Roland Vink's site is an excellent starting point to acquaint yourself with the myriad of Nikkors

http://photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/index.html

Thank you ... I had just found that site about 2 hrs ago ... and noticed your own reviews as well ... so thanks for the TIME I know it must have taken to put all that stuff together

Jack

John Koerner

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2016, 23:08:44 »

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2016, 23:14:12 »
John, manual Nikkors are indeed great!

On the 50mm/1.2, shooting wide open may initially not seem that great with all the spherical aberration but it delivers magical portraits.  Well worth the practice to nail the focus.  If I had to live with only one lens, this would be it!

As Bjørn R. pointed out, the 105mm is simply fantastic.  Most people favor the f/2.5 Ai version with it's rounded blades.  The earlier Sonnar is preferred by some for smoother transitions at the cost of less pop.  The 105mm f/1.8 Ai-s is top notch if you are interested in a more corrected lens (virtually no field curvature/CA), though many swear by the f/2.5's character.  All of the 105mm's are cheap enough to buy a couple, test them, and sell off the one you like least.
-Tristin

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2016, 23:16:46 »
Of course there always be opposing reviews. People use their lenses differently and seek different approaches to their photographic expressions.

It is also very important to understand many of these older lenses have character and some even are quite temperamental in their behaviour over the aperture and/or focusing range. All of which adds to the enjoyment one can have using such optical items. As a user, you need to invest efforts in learning their behaviour and response. This is as  far from 'point and shoot' as you possibly can get.

Bjørn J

• NG Member
  • North of the Arctic Circle
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2016, 23:19:41 »
My three favourite manual Nikkors are the 16mm/3,5 rectangular fisheye, the 28mm/2.0 and the 35mm/1,4. The latter has plenty of character but once you get to know it you will fall in love.
Bjørn Jørgensen